What's new

RazoRock Superslant views, reviews, and shaves

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've listed my 7 top razors many times but I'll add the here for comparison sake.

In no particular order:

1. ESC Claymore Evolution because it is the first razor I bought.. and I still use it around my nose for every shave.
2. Blutt BR-1 1.20. It's the first razor I tried that was a step up in efficiency from Claymore Evo.
3. Rocnel Elite
4. Green Cult 2.0 Level 2
5. ATT X1 AC Slant
6. Lamda Athena
7. Soon to be ordered Wolfman WR2 in bronze... I know, I know.. it shouldn't be on the list yet since I don't have it in house. Wishful thinking on my part.

I hope to get the SuperSlant dialed in so it will make the list.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It seems many people detected that this razor is fairly mild, but also relatively efficient.
As I said, I found L3 to be already so mild and safe that I a bit wonder about the reason for the L1 and L2 variations. Has anyone found them to be too aggressive? I guess not many.

The L3++ is on my radar. Let's see if it can give the L3 some extra efficiency.

While it is no longer available, the Wunderbar was also always mild, but tended to sometimes surprisingly bite deep. It was/is also a bit more efficient, but not quite as easy to use.

Second outing with the SuperSlant L3 SB.

20230212_123740-01.jpeg
Again, the result was impeccable. Like polished marble - that is the matching description of my skin in post shave, a BBS result totally free of weepers or nicks, again.
Awesome. Few razors can do this on my skin without leaving any hint of irritation. If I can manage to repeat this marvelous result in course of the next days I'll be totally sold on this razor.

As @Mr. Shavington pointed out correctly, this razor is pretty efficient. The L3 plate seems to become a two pass shaver on my face whilst "daily driving", only few touchups were needed today to complete another "oil on glas" finish. The L3 plate easily manages to check the efficiency box for me in daily shaving... TBH, I have quite a hard time imagining the results (efficiency-wise) as far as the still to be released L3++ base plates are concerned... I mean, imagine the L3++ in the open comb variant as a daily driver... it would likeky be too much for me.

However, back to the L3 SB plate. She kind of hides her efficient nature in the wtg pass. I only noticed the blade to some minor extent, the wtg pass was done in a "stealth mode" pass, if you will. Mühle Rocca or Karve D SB come to mind, the blade feel is noticeable but very gentle during the WTG pass. I had to remind myself tp not overshave during the wtg pass. It was pretty tempting to do more wtg strokes than actually needed.

The atg pass didn't feel as comfortable as the wtg pass but still the blade feel was comfortable enough. It wasn't menacing at all.

The razor effortlessly glided over the skin, wtg and atg. My preferred angle with this razor is an intermediate position between "steep angle" and "neutral angle". I didn't have any issues finding and maintaining the proper angle. I noticed some minor drag with a very steep angle but as soon as I lifted the handle just a tad to a more neutral position the drag totally vanished.

Since the head is quite bulky, shaving the mustache area wasn’t as easy as with other, slimmer profiled razors. Shaving the fool's pass was borderline but still doable, but the strokes were absolutely not mindless ones.

As of yet, my skin did not responded with any redness or even soreness to these daily shaves. But I only have two shaves under my belt as yet... so pls take my findings with a grain of salt. Further confirmation is needed.

As far as other Razorock slanted razors are concerned I only can compare the L3 to the German 37 slant. Imo the L3 has a bit more blade feel and it is more efficient than the German 37. I assume the stainless steel sibbling of the RR German 37 might be found in one of the L2 plates...

All my initial findings are based on the shaves with the yellow Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge... it's a sharp blade which works flawless for me, but if loaded with some of my razors there is an ever so slightly harshness with this blade.

For the upcoming shaves I'll switch to an other favourite blade of mine... I've high hopes the atg pass might be even smoother with the Gillette Perma Sharp loaded into the L3...

We shall see.

Anyway, I'm going to have some more very nice shaves, no doubt about it!

Last edited:
The Superslant works best for me with a sharper blade. The Treet Carbon Steel sample I tried was horrible. Personna Lab weren't bad. Astra, Nacet and Feather have worked well for me in it. I swapped around a few handles and decided the original heavy super knurl also helped me. I agree that a steep angle isn't ideal. I started going more towards neutral I guess too, less steep anyway and it did better on my neck and chin. I think it's very mild and pretty efficient but its only an L1++. I think the L2++ will be better for me when I get it.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I think the L2++ will be better for me when I get it.
The L3 still makes it nigh impossible to injure yourself. I read some reports of people who find it causes irritation, which is surprising, but I would still say in general that it is very mild. Unlike the Wunderbar, this one could just slice off skin. While being mild when shaving. Maybe it is the close shave that is possible with this design.

But then, I still say the Wunderbar can it a bit better. I am looking forward to the L3++ plate.
Maybe wait a little for the L3 and L3+/++ plates before getting the L2++.
You might end up buying a lot of blades, all that money could better go in another razor.

I've listed my 7 top razors many times but I'll add the here for comparison sake.

In no particular order:

1. ESC Claymore Evolution because it is the first razor I bought.. and I still use it around my nose for every shave.
2. Blutt BR-1 1.20. It's the first razor I tried that was a step up in efficiency from Claymore Evo.
3. Rocnel Elite
4. Green Cult 2.0 Level 2
5. ATT X1 AC Slant
6. Lamda Athena
7. Soon to be ordered Wolfman WR2 in bronze... I know, I know.. it shouldn't be on the list yet since I don't have it in house. Wishful thinking on my part.

I hope to get the SuperSlant dialed in so it will make the list.
I have to say that is quite a surprise to me that even though I've used 40 or 50 different razors over the past few years, I have not used a single one on your list. So I can't really place the SuperSlant in any meaningful context relative to the razors you've used.

20230213_085100-01-01.jpeg

I amended two things for today's shave with the L3 SB. First, I switched the handle. Handle of choice was one of my favourite RR handles, the 90mm Bulldog handle. Overall, it worked well, the difference between the RR Barberpole handle and the RR Bulldog handle didn't have a significant impact on the shave.

Amendment #2 was the blade. The fresh PermaSharp was a great pairing with the L3 SB plate. Pretty effective, the strokes were even smoother in the atg pass than with the yellow Gillette 7 o'clock I had used thus far. So the PermaSharp outperformed the Yellow Gillette in terms of smoothness. What a delight...

After having rinsed the soap residuals from my face I realized I had missed some stubble under my nostrils, so only approx. 97 % BBS without further grooming 😎 Needless to say, just five seconds later I had reached 💯.

That's been a really pretty outing with the SuperSlant, yet again...

Now that I've used the L2++ for the second time and gotten the appropriate angle down, I'm very much liking this razor; greatly improved upon last time's performance with the same post shave BBS feel I'm accustomed to with my other razors, and I'm glad too, provides a break now and then from using SB razors all the time. Despite doing well with this plate I'm still tempted to try the L3 when they become available regardless.

1676329904261.png

In order to test this razor even further (before I have to return it on Friday 😒) I switched handles again. For today's shave I mounted a 90mm custom TiBam Titanium handle.
Unsurprisingly, the change of handles made the razor just a bit head heavy, but then the reduced weight of the handle added some maneuverability. The shave was brilliant again.

20230213_143350-01-01.jpeg

IMHO this razor is not a mild one (read: mild in terms of Tech-mildness). FWIW, I'd rather say it is a mid level razor, as far as blade feel and tendency to give nicks are concerned. It's in the ballpark of Karve D plate or Mühle Rocca... out of memory. She's easy to master if one has a decent technique and has found a blade which fits the needs... To me the L3SB plate feels like being more efficient as the Karve D SB and the Rocca (but mind you, you can reach the very same result with these two razors, too, just by adding another quick pass or just some additional cleanup strokes), but she behaves just as dramafree as said razors. For the records, I got a small weeper today in the soul patch area, but it stopped bleeding immedialety after rinsing the face with cold water. So all is fine in this department, too.

With (4) consecutive shaves done I already feel quite safe to say this L3SB is an excellent razor for my face. There's no evident reason why others shouldn't like it, imo.

If I had to note a "negative" aspect with this razor it would be the bulkiness of the head when shaving the area under the nose. It's not a slim head by any means. But it's been pretty easy to adobt the way to shave this crucial area with the SuperSlant, at least for me.

Given my praises for this razor it won't come as a surprise I'm definitely interested to add this razor to my lineup at a later stage (I'm participating in GRUYERE 2023, and yes, I did it on my own decision 😆). Right now I would not see any need to choose a more or less aggressive plate... but this doesn't necessary mean I eventially wouldn't add a second plate... just out of curiosity 😉
I mean there are the upcoming OC plates...😜

But honestly, it wouldn't be necessary.
Today, she left me without any stubble. True BBS and a silky smooth calm skin... what's more to ask for?

Have a nice day!

Last edited:
Second shave, well 1/2 shave w L2++, Permasharp blade (same as before); 4 days growth.

I did half a face w RR super slant and the other half with the Rex adjustable slant (started at #3)

First pass, the RR gave a closer shave (less stubble left behind).

On the second pass, I set the Rex to 4.5.; this achieved a close shave, both are the same final results, I think the RR super slant was smoother.......(harder to load).

So, RR superslant is good. Will keep using.

Well I got a Superslant L2++ base plate the other day and have used it twice now to compare it to the L1++ plate.

The first shave with L2++ I tried a Feather blade (which I hate and always suck for me) which seem super sharp but always tug and bounce and aren't smooth somehow on me. I know they work for many people though. The shave was good but I nicked my neck twice very slightly and they stopped immediately but I did also get some razor burn on my neck. Was good overall but not very comfortable. The L1++ barely needed any focus at all really.

The second L2++ shave was fantastic. I used a new Astra SP blade, used a hot towel on my face for a couple minutes and had zero issues with the L2++. Very comfortable and smooth razor. 2 pass was really enough but I did 3 and my face was like glass. No razor burn or any problems. I did need to focus more but the Astra SP made a big difference as well as letting the razor do all the work. I'm not sure I could handle an L3, maybe eventually but the L2++ is plenty for now.

In somewhat related news my turn came up on the waiting list and I ordered a Wolfman WR2 1.15 DC. I'm anxious to give that a whirl when it eventually arrives. :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well I got a Superslant L2++ base plate the other day and have used it twice now to compare it to the L1++ plate.

The first shave with L2++ I tried a Feather blade (which I hate and always suck for me) which seem super sharp but always tug and bounce and aren't smooth somehow on me. I know they work for many people though. The shave was good but I nicked my neck twice very slightly and they stopped immediately but I did also get some razor burn on my neck. Was good overall but not very comfortable. The L1++ barely needed any focus at all really.

The second L2++ shave was fantastic. I used a new Astra SP blade, used a hot towel on my face for a couple minutes and had zero issues with the L2++. Very comfortable and smooth razor. 2 pass was really enough but I did 3 and my face was like glass. No razor burn or any problems. I did need to focus more but the Astra SP made a big difference as well as letting the razor do all the work. I'm not sure I could handle an L3, maybe eventually but the L2++ is plenty for now.

In somewhat related news my turn came up on the waiting list and I ordered a Wolfman WR2 1.15 DC. I'm anxious to give that a whirl when it eventually arrives. :)
I emailed Tara today and she got right back to me.... It looks like my name will come up in 1 to 2 weeks. If that is the case, I might get my Wolfman at our place right before we leave for Bali on April 6th. It would be nice to try it once or twice before we leave, but as long as it's ordered before we head out, that will be OK too. We'll have someone picking up our mail every day so it will be safe and sound, either way.

First time with this razor, and first time with a slant of any kind. I expect I'll get used to it a bit more as I get acquainted with it. I stuck to two passes today, an easy introduction (in theory). The amount of blade exposure and feel surprised me somewhat, and I gave myself a little bit of razor burn just below the jawline on one side. Despite that, the shave was otherwise quite comfortable, and it was certainly effective.

I look forward to running all my blades through this razor, though I might push Kai a little further down the list than I normally would to give myself a little time to get used to the angles beforehand, heh.

I'm kinda late to the party, but have read this whole thread. I received my Superslant L3 recently and did seven consecutive shaves with it.

Here's my Superslant L3 REVIEW:
My first shave with the L3 was good, but not mind blowingly good.
BTW (as shaving is my current Number One hobby) I can't remember the last time I got a weeper, nick, or cut.

^ Obviously those things are caused by the operator, not the hardware in their hand. I suspect the main reason for these problems is due to "mind wandering," i.e. being somewhere else when one should remain in the shaving moment.

I keep my SWB (Shaving White Belt) on during (nearly) every shave, and experience Zen Shaves where the ONLY things on my mind are what I'm doing, and what's happening at that time. This has taken a fair bit of practice. That said, I have continual "beginner's mind" (and am improving, thankfully), but, though I aim for it, I will never be perfect.

END OF SERMON
My second, and all the following shaves got better and better, until I was convinced that the L3 was the best slant in existence. I LOVE IT.

BUT THEN:
I decided to use my old favorite Fine Aluminum Slant for the shave following my L3 trial.

I have to say that the Fine Aluminum is STILL my top favorite slant.
IMO the L3 is technically better, but I prefer the Fine due to:
  • being a steep angle shaver, I can shave steeper with the Fine
  • the blade tabs show, so it's easier to remove the blade and vision is better
  • the cap isn't so pointed, so vision is better
  • the waste (lather and cut whiskers) slots are bigger
  • the light weight (L3 head weighs 37.2g loaded, Fine head weighs 12.9g loaded)
  • it's more shiny
The pics below highlight some of my preferences:
L3-and-Fine-angled-view_2023-02-24.jpg

L3-and-Fine-front-view_2023-02-24.jpg

OTHER STUFF

RAZOR LOADING:

I'm one of those strange people who read product instructions before using the product. Of course, depending on the instructions, I may or may not heed them.

My first slant was the PBOCS (I did want a Fasan, but could never find one); that was about six years ago.

Here's the Phoenix loading instructions for the PBOCS:

I wasn't keen on the blade being in hand so much, so I adjusted the instructions to my "safer" method, as below:
  1. Cap on counter (bolt and locating pins up ⬆️)
  2. Drop blade on (just that, no fiddling about, and no pressing the blade)
  3. Drop baseplate on (just that, no fiddling about, and no pressing the baseplate)
  4. Screw handle on (just that, no fiddling about, and no pressing the baseplate)
I now use that method for ALL of my three piece razors.

With helical slants, using that method can be surprisingly noisy as the blade conforms to the curves. This tends to be more pronounced with a new blade or one that hasn't seen a slant before.

Subsequent loadings of the same blade are usually much less dramatic.

Using the above method I find loading ANY three piece razor EASY PEASY.

USING MORE THAN ONE RAZOR — Daily Doubles and other such nonsense (IMO)
I well remember having trouble getting my sideburns even with the PBOCS when I first received it; or even at times getting close enough to the skin in those areas.

The thought of having to use another razor for that job turned me off completely. If I needed more than one razor to get a proper shave there were obviously severe operator limitations (in my mind). As I don't like being a numpty, I decided to stop rushing and carefully watch what I was doing to find what was causing the problem. After a considerable amount of technique tweak I got the facial whisker features down to just the way I wanted (easy with a standard [non-slant] DE with fair blade exposure).

Using my usual slick 'n' thin lather is helpful here, in being able to see what one is doing. In extreme situations I'll even do a Geofatboy "clearing of the runways" to see precisely what I'm doing.

FOOTNOTE
The above may have been TMI. If so, please accept my apologies.

It's just my two cents (and of course YMMV :wink2:).

Top Bottom