What's new

RazoRock Stealth Slant Explorer Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
first week impression - ranked in order of comfort (totally subjective of course)
1) Rapira Swedish Supersteel
2) Gillette Silver Blue
3) Persona Med Prep
4) Polsilver SI
5) Gillette 7o'clock Black
6) Rotbart Extra Thin
7) Astra SP (pulled and inefficient)

I felt the same way with the Astra. My favorite so far has been with the Personna Reds. Very comfortable shave.

I only seem to get 3 good shaves from just about any blade, but my favourite is the Feather or Personna med or lab. A good sharp blade seems to be my best friend in this razor.

The Feather blade is not my favourite in some other razors though,

I've tried a few blades in this razor including Polsilver SI, Wilkinson Sword (german variant?), and Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (indian). All were fantastic as usual. As with other razors Feathers were harsh on the first shave, but much improved for shave 2 and 3.

True, but using eBay, with its greedy hands in every sale against him isn't really fair. So lets just say you want that razor ordered from Italian Barber. You're totally right, Joe might charge $18 for that particular razor which he's had branded for Razorock, and which he offers a $60 free shipping anywhere North America if you soend that much and, where you can pick up any number of Razorock soaps for under $10 which perform at the top of the class or any other number of popular and sometimes hard to get products. Or you can pay $15 for that razor that Joe at Shaveabuck charges $15 for plus shipping regardless of total purchases and doesn't offer even remotely close to the same selection of quality products that IB does, but hey..... You saved $3 bucks on that razor, right?

Just sayin' :biggrin1:

Okay, I won't compare Joe's eBay prices but instead the prices he charges at his own site so we can have apples to apples. At his own Italian Barber site, Joe charges $19.99 plus shipping for the same TTO Cadet/RazoRock razor that Shaveabuck offers for $15.00 plus shipping (with a much wider variety of handles and also with a choice of open comb or safety bar). Maybe $4.99 isn't a big deal, but in this case it's 33% of the cost at Shaveabuck, and 33% is significant enough to notice.

I'm certainly not trying to argue that Joe overcharges, nor am I trying to derail this thread. I'm just responding to an earlier comment that that Joe's prices are always as reasonable as possible.

I'm certainly not trying to argue that Joe overcharges, nor am I trying to derail this thread. I'm just responding to an earlier comment that that Joe's prices are always as reasonable as possible.

Really? Because you never once mentioned the Stealth or anything shave related.

You've argued or brought up IB pricing a couple times now. Not to mention you dug up a post from 3 days ago that everyone had forgotten about to respond to. :bored:

I see no comparison between product quality and selection between the vendors you mentioned...it's not even close. He can't have the absolute rock bottom lowest price on every single item hr brings in vs a vendor who mainly sells a certain line, it's just not possible. If you want to buy product X from vendor A and then product Y from vendor B, go ahead.

I've been Stealh-less for the pass three days and likely one more. My Stealth should be arriving tomorrow. A couple shaves with my old favorite razor, the Slim, and I miss the Stealth already.

It can't get here soon enough.

Scratch that, it's here now! :smile1:

Last edited:
I've been Stealh-less for the pass three days and likely one more. My Stealth should be arriving tomorrow. A couple shaves with my old favorite razor, the Slim, and I miss the Stealth already.

What do you mean…. why were you suddenly without your stealth? Sorry I'm just a bit confused about what you are talking about. :001_smile

Sounds like Bruce may have lent it out, in his usual good nature.

Someone actually lent it to me...but this just showed up as my very own.
$uploadfromtaptalk1399582510083.jpg

Thanks guys. We wish it was granite or at least my wife probably does.

It is just a one piece vanity countertop granite look. It wasn't expensive but has stood up very well and hides a lot of soap scum and the like. This is off our bedroom, just modest little 2 pce bathroom that I have taken over as my Shave Den.

Please excuse the dirty sink. :blush:
$uploadfromtaptalk1399584609029.jpg

Last edited:
I've held off my comments until I get a dozen or so shaves with this thing, but for now, I have a couple of discussion points I haven't seen yet.

* How long are blades lasting for you? Longer or shorter than other razors? Anecdotally, I haven't changed the blade once since getting this razor. That's 7 or 8 shaves... Definitely longer for me.

* On a scale from 1-10, with 1 being for beginners and 10 being for experts, where do you think this razor fits?

As to your first question.... I can't say. Upon Joe's advice, I change blades after 3 shaves. For some reason that works out for me. If blades were more expensive, I might try to stretch them but... at these prices, why bother?

I can't answer your second question either. In the B.S. (before Stealth) days, as a person increased their skill, they could handle more aggressive razors and get closer shaves. The Stealth has changed that equation. The closeness that I'm getting is equal to my most aggressive razor, with no irritation. Yet, the razor seems so easy to use, that I'd lend it to a newbie.

I've tried to figure this out. If it's not magic... it must be physics. My guess (and only a guess) is that through good design and quality manufacture, Joe has taken out much of the vibration of the blade (that most of us accepted as standard and inevitable). Set a virtually vibrationless blade at the optimum angle and things get very quiet (stealth) and smooth.

At first I thought that the razor lacked feedback but after about 10 shaves, I'm getting all kinds of feedback.... just not noise. I think it's all related, close tolerances, quiet and lack of blade vibration. But... in any event, the old equation of razor aggression, skill and closeness no longer seems to apply.

A friend lent me his for a day and I got a great shave. I gave it back this morning. It was kind of like the razor I'd been searching for for years. I'm really sorry I missed out on them but had never bought a new razor in my life. Just yard sale Gillettes (which I love).

Last edited by a moderator:
What a stupid shave today.:wacko:

I decided to use my Kent which hasn't been getting much talk lately because of how Stupid it is (Search this out if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Lathered up my Haslinger, face lathered and grabbed my Stealth. It's on the lighter side, it has kind of a klunky looking head, its blade alignment looks cockeyed compared to most, it's got a black handle and would send most grown men running for their cartridge razor at first glance. But man oh man, like the Kent 8, does it ever deliver. This razor has exceed all my expectations and works despite it's uncoventional appearance. It's perfectly balanced, it's head allows you to not keep it parallel on strokes and the blade alignement is perfect...every single time I load the blade.

I was able to apply a bit of pressure as some had talked about today and although I was hesitant, it delivered my best shave with it yet. Even smoother then the first few uses, no irriatation and trouble free. I've used a lot of razors in my 3-1/2 years wet shaving, but none have been this simple to dial in and none have delivered this well, this quickly.

This truly is one AMAZING razor.

$uploadfromtaptalk1399639755016.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom