What's new

Ralf Aust vs Max Sprecher

I don't know if I am comparing apples to oranges or Lamborghini to Pintos. Please forgive my ignorance. How would you compare their razors, if they can be compared? I've checked out both and Max appears to be functional but like a piece of art (that I might want to hang on the wall to show off). Scales aside let's talk blades specifically. Thanks in advance.

I've often admired the beauty of Max Sprecher's razors, but to be totally honest there's no razor in the world I'd pay so much for. Ralf Aust's razors are about as close to being perfect shavers as you can get and the price tag is rather attractive too. Then again if money isn't an issue please get a Sprecher and post a picture so I can admire it. :001_smile

I've often admired the beauty of Max Sprecher's razors, but to be totally honest there's no razor in the world I'd pay so much for. Ralf Aust's razors are about as close to being perfect shavers as you can get and the price tag is rather attractive too. Then again if money isn't an issue please get a Sprecher and post a picture so I can admire it. :001_smile

LOL...yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never have seen a Max Sprecher first hand. From what I hear they are as much art as shave tool. Somewhat like Jerry Stark's razors. Very attractive. I have owned a few of Jerry's blades. Nice, but not as good of a shaving instrument as any of my Ralf Austs.

The obvious difference:
Max Sprecher produces custom straight razors.
Ralf Aust runs a “Manufaktur” (small factory) where he single-handedly produces a range of razors, even though he is willing to make some modifications upon request, but I do not consider such razors “customs razors” in the narrow definition of the word, as you just take an existing design and have Ralf Aust modify it according to your ideas.

There are only a few Max Sprecher razors that appeal to me aesthetically, I find the majority too blingy for my taste, but you can’t debate taste as everybody has his own ideas.

I found that Austs are excellent shavers that are hard to beat.
I made the mistake of buying some custom razors from a well know Italian source and they are rubbish by comparison to my Austs - at about 5 times the price of an Aust.

B.

Well said .I love how my Aust straight perform .A real bargain for current costs .I feel Herr Aust is at the top of current production in Germany .

My Portland Razor shaves well .I thinks its well made .I only own one .It shaves similar to an older Hart straight I own .In general I have a preference for Vintage Steel .

What do people think of Portland Razors? Any good?

I have only one vs more than 20 Austs and a similar number of Friodurs, which are both the largest group of razors in my stable.

The Portland shaves well enough and is well made, but not any way superior to any of my Austs, which are priced at about half the price of the Portlands.

B.

S

Squinty

Appologies, I'm a practical person, obviously you guys are serious collectors with a taste for handcrafted or bling.
But I don't 'get' these things, do you bow to the points of the compass before using or whisper " you're beautiful and I'll never use you like other men" before admiring the finer detailing? :ouch1:
I see them in the same light as Perazzis, great for spending your money on but no more functional than a mid-grade Browning unless you're chewing the fat with the other guns in the club house.

Appologies, I'm a practical person, obviously you guys are serious collectors with a taste for handcrafted or bling.
But I don't 'get' these things, do you bow to the points of the compass before using or whisper " you're beautiful and I'll never use you like other men" before admiring the finer detailing? :ouch1:
I see them in the same light as Perazzis, great for spending your money on but no more functional than a mid-grade Browning unless you're chewing the fat with the other guns in the club house.
Sir, I saw that you're new to this community. We that are members here do indeed have a special interest in male grooming, an interest that might not be shared by the general public. We do all respect each other and try our best to help and support each other.

S

Squinty

Sir I am indeed a new member, a heathen perhaps even a Philistine to the arts.
I understand this forum is dedicated to the special interest of male grooming and aesthetics .
Community support is very important, we shave to look better and feel better about ourselves often needing reassurance from others.

One mans choice may not be anothers but in mitigation bearing in mind the bearing of the original post

I don't know if I am comparing apples to oranges or Lamborghini to Pintos. Please forgive my ignorance. How would you compare their razors, if they can be compared? I've checked out both and Max appears to be functional but like a piece of art (that I might want to hang on the wall to show off). Scales aside let's talk blades specifically. Thanks in advance.

what I wanted to type was - are you kidding me? 600+ on a razor? What do they do that an RA or similar quality razor doesn't?

what I wanted to type was - are you kidding me? 600+ on a razor? What do they do that an RA or similar quality razor doesn't?
In my first post in this thread I wrote that I often have admired Sprescher's razors, but that I personally never would pay so much money for a razor. I also admire the looks of some sport cars, but I wouldn't pay the price asked for them either.

To most of us these things are just pieces of art that we don't want or need to own. Actually most of us don't have the means to buy them even if we would like to. However if money isn't an issue it's up to the eye of the beholder to decide what's worth the price or not. If you really want something, or if you are really wealthy, why deny yourself the joy?

Then again viewed from a strict utility perspective you're totally right: there is no way a Sprescher razor is cost effective compared to a Ralf Aust razor. Even so the same goes when comparing a Volkswagen to a Mercedes, still I see quite a few Mercedes cars.

Do you only own one and only one razor that you have purchased? I’m eliminating gifts and inheritances here.

S

Squinty

In my first post in this thread I wrote that I often have admired Sprescher's razors, but that I personally never would pay so much money for a razor. I also admire the looks of some sport cars, but I wouldn't pay the price asked for them either.

To most of us these things are just pieces of art that we don't want or need to own. Actually most of us don't have the means to buy them even if we would like to. However if money isn't an issue it's up to the eye of the beholder to decide what's worth the price or not. If you really want something, or if you are really wealthy, why deny yourself the joy?

Then again viewed from a strict utility perspective you're totally right: there is no way a Sprescher razor is cost effective compared to a Ralf Aust razor. Even so the same goes when comparing a Volkswagen to a Mercedes, still I see quite a few Mercedes cars.

Clearly I wouldn't pay 600 either. And short of deductible business use or high mileage I wouldn't entertain a Merc.
I put 240k on a G-wagon some years ago, a bomb-proof and extremely capable vehicle but my personal car was a Volkswagen.
I am utalitarian and somewhat economical (squeaky tight) , buy what ever you want but theres no need to be jumping to the defence of those willing to part with their money for an Objec-D'art.
We'd all like a Picasso or lost van Gogh for the 150m But ya gotta be cookoo if you'd want to pay 150 million for one to put on your wall.

If I have to show admiration before I can say 'not my cup of tea old chap' or 'stuff that for a game of soldiers' ...hopefully with the world trend for correctness and respecting sensitivity regardless I am going to be ruffling feathers for a long time to come.

Do you only own one and only one razor that you have purchased? I’m eliminating gifts and inheritances here.

No... I have a round dozen. A new Revisor £70 / $90 quite plain: a hard decision and very importantly ...with discount and fee shipping.
And the rest; bank breaking vintage razors $7-$15 shipped ...that are nowhere near perfect collectables.
I paid more for my discounted Shapton hones but choke at £20 /$25 for a 90-120 year old consumable.

S

Squinty

Apologies for the long reply but I've been hopping back and forth whilst watching the debacle at Parliament

Top Bottom