What's new

HELP! How to remove this tarnish/stain off Ralf Aust shank?

I purchased a Ralf Aust 5/8 straight razor online and the shank arrived tarnished or stained, I’m not sure which it is. I tired to wipe it off with a piece of toilet paper and it appears to be imbedded in the shank.

Also, there is a bit of rust around the pivot pin. The seller told me that he coated the blade in camellia oil before shipping, and the photo I saw before purchasing showed no signs of tarnish/stains or rust. I’m wondering if this can be fixed, or if I should send it back for a refund? Fortunately, the seller is honest and is willing to refund my money, but I got a good deal on the razor ($80) and would prefer to keep it if it can be fixed.

Upon closer inspection, it appears the something (camellia oil, possibly water?) dried between the rosin scales and the shank. I was able to scrape the substance off the inside of the scales, but don’t know how to remove the tarnish/stain from the shank. The tarnish/stain runs along, and lines up with, the scales when the razor is closed. Would Maas and 1500 sandpaper, or 000 steel wool work to remove the tarnish/stain?

Attachments

• 30A9FDCE-8525-4617-99B7-22E70E367D84.png
    30A9FDCE-8525-4617-99B7-22E70E367D84.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 52
  • B0263839-F540-463E-A1C9-533868FF9618.jpeg
    B0263839-F540-463E-A1C9-533868FF9618.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 008057B0-5D1D-4F8F-8A5F-22F042EC372A.jpeg
    008057B0-5D1D-4F8F-8A5F-22F042EC372A.jpeg
    884.9 KB · Views: 53
Did you try isopropyl or some ethanol? (Desinfection spray on a paper towel) Should remove hardened fat, if that's what it is.
I haven’t tried isopropyl yet, but have some 91% that I keep on hand and will give it a go tomorrow. That will be great if it works.

Did you try isopropyl or some ethanol? (Desinfection spray on a paper towel) Should remove hardened fat, if that's what it is.
Unfortunately, the isopropyl didn’t remove the tarnish. It did remove a little, but not much. It almost seems as if the rosin scale was slightly dissolved and dried on the blade, or a substance dried between the blade and scales and left a residue.

At any rate, I purchase some Maas from Ace Hardware this morning and plan to try it this afternoon. Does anyone know how it should be applied? I’m assuming with a microfiber cloth.

Attachments

• 2BEEA965-316E-444F-BB00-09E24F880F38.jpeg
    2BEEA965-316E-444F-BB00-09E24F880F38.jpeg
    756.4 KB · Views: 16
I purchase some Maas from Ace Hardware this morning and plan to try it this afternoon. Does anyone know how it should be applied?
I've never used Maas, but I often use Mother's. People who have used both tell me that they are virtually the same, so I've never bothered trying Maas. I usually start with my finger tips and rub rub rub. It's a fine abrasive and the rubbing is what does the work. I then go to toilet paper and keep rubbing both to continue shining and to remove the polish. If you didn't get all the tarnish, repeat. You should see progress with each application. It's pretty easy to use and about the only caution that I can think of is that it will remove gold plating.

I've never used Maas, but I often use Mother's. People who have used both tell me that they are virtually the same, so I've never bothered trying Maas. I usually start with my finger tips and rub rub rub. It's a fine abrasive and the rubbing is what does the work. I then go to toilet paper and keep rubbing both to continue shining and to remove the polish. If you didn't get all the tarnish, repeat. You should see progress with each application. It's pretty easy to use and about the only caution that I can think of is that it will remove gold plating.
Awesome!Thanks for letting me know. I am going to keep the Maas on hand for regular polishing, but just heard back from RocTraitor on Reddit, who should be able to help me out for a fair price. These are great tips for maintenance!

Top Bottom