What's new

Raised Flat Bottom family reunion

SmGFdiY.gif

I don’t notice any great difference between the #44, #77, and #88. I have a slight preference for the #44, as I can use the head on heavier aftermarket handles. I’ve never used a Rotbart, so can’t help you there
Face it, your going to end up with one of each anyway!:a17:

Hello,
Gillette RFBs are more efficient than a long comb NEW, the 77/88 being a tad better for added weight (imho).
Rotbart RFBs shave similar to Old types, have nothing in common with Gillette RFBs except the looks.
Adam

I have the same observations - Rotbart is very close to OT. NEW RFB is superior and adds better ballance along the weight.

Thanks guys, great advice. Well, then the Rotbart is probably not cast well for my personal shaving movie :crying:
...BUT - where there’s a will there’s a way! - Managed to reel this sucker in yesterday from the deep waters of the bay. Will go to Chris Evatt directly :biggrin1:

What is the plating on this #88?

B32035BD-CAFF-4331-A0D0-0C03014DE4B6.jpeg

R

romsitsa

Only the case determines wether it's a No. 88 or 77.
The Rotbart will become quite similar to a Gillette RFB with a 0.6-0.8 mm shim under the blade.

Adam

Sorry on late ump up. From my perspective fat handled Rotbart is ontop RFB pyramide. But biggest surprise for me is Tris. Uouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu what a shaver. You have felling that you shaving with a closed comb, so smooth he is. But he is not a little less efficiet from others.

Thanks guys, great advice. Well, then the Rotbart is probably not cast well for my personal shaving movie :crying:
...BUT - where there’s a will there’s a way! - Managed to reel this sucker in yesterday from the deep waters of the bay. Will go to Chris Evatt directly :biggrin1:

What is the plating on this #88?

View attachment 874247

I vote rhodium!
Nice find, teeth look in great shape.
(Ducks head before purists can throw tomatoes):a13:

Arrived today. Did not feel at all to me like an Old Type, milder but quite efficient with a very sharp BIC.
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Arrived today. Did not feel at all to me like an Old Type, milder but quite efficient with a very sharp BIC.
proxy.php

Very very nice. Perfect vintage condition it seems. Super score!

Good to know that you for one don’t find it shaving like an OLD. I guess YMMV a always. I cannot wait to get and try my Rotbart RFB - even if it does not have the cool fat handle that yours does :punk:

Very very nice. Perfect vintage condition it seems. Super score!

Good to know that you for one don’t find it shaving like an OLD. I guess YMMV a always. I cannot wait to get and try my Rotbart RFB - even if it does not have the cool fat handle that yours does :punk:
Not perfect I'm afraid, a tooth missing if you look closely, but no complaints.

Mine finally arrived today.

First impression of maiden voyage:

Very light, I like heavier razors, but it being head heavy due to the hollow knob more than makes up for it.

Put in a Nacet and it mowed 2 days growth effortlessly on the WTG pass.

Here comes the challange: ATG and XTG by my rough patch by the Adams apple.

Success! No touch ups needed and surprisingly no irritation. Even my beloved SC struggled there.

A fantastic addition to my already mostly British Den.
20180418_172222.jpg

20180418_163543.jpg

Attachments

• 20180418_163442.jpg
    20180418_163442.jpg
    807.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180418_163410.jpg
    20180418_163410.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 20180418_163904.jpg
    20180418_163904.jpg
    787.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Mine finally arrived today.

First impression of maiden voyage:

Very light, I like heavier razors, but it being head heavy due to the hollow knob more than makes up for it.

Put in a Nacet and it mowed 2 days growth effortlessly on the WTG pass.

Here comes the challange: ATG and XTG by my rough patch by the Adams apple.

Success! No touch ups needed and surprisingly no irritation. Even my beloved SC struggled there.

A fantastic addition to my already mostly British Den.
View attachment 876886
View attachment 876880
Very nice!
The RFB is about the definition of smooth. I do tend to go for an aftermarket handle, just for the weight.
1071C4C0-F4B4-4735-94F7-C67A2E454389.jpeg

Only the case determines wether it's a No. 88 or 77.
Adam

Is this true? I ask because I was sold an #88, but the only base I could find that matches the Mr. Razor photos were the #77. I seller sent a very nice chrome case with purple interior with the script Gillette and Made in England.

The razor has grown on me. The more I use it the more I enjoy using it.

R

romsitsa

Yes, it's true. No 88 is a set in a nickel plated case, the No 77 in a brown or green bakelite case.
Doesn't matter if the razor is a three piece, two piece, French import, early or late.

Adam

Top Bottom