What's new

A very rare beast - the 1930s Big Fellow Chromium #20 RFB (Raised Flat Bottom)

ACCDC2FE-4C1F-4E58-B80E-518C130E93F9.jpeg

I am stoked to finally reel in this true rarity, a Big Fellow Chromium #20 RFB. I am no expert on Big Fellows and Big Boys but according to the below B&B thread from 2015 it wasn’t even until that year that a shipper surfaced to actually confirm the official name and set # of this razor (shipper pic attached in the small pic). I know only of a handful of other specimens sitting tight with other longer term collectors.

At first glance it looks almost identical to the more seen New Big Boy Chromium Deluxe. But then you notice that Raised Flat Bottom baseplate which promises a much smoother and mild shave. This combination of a New RFB head and a large Big Fellow/Big Boy handle really makes this 3-piece razor a unique hybrid that I cannot wait to try out.

All chrome plated brass, 97 mm long from head to toe and weighing in at 85 grams this is a large razor. Quite bigger than my usual preference. But on the other hand it seems perfectly balanced and holds the blade exactly like a wonderful #88 New RFB, it’s smaller size cousin of the same era. The razor is made in England but the case is made in USA, just like with the other #20 sets seen earlier.

Obviously this particular specimen has not seen a lot of use, it is in absolutely stunning original shape, teeth straight, chrome is remarkably nice all over, and the case also excellent except a few scratches and a slight color fading to the inside lining of the lid.

Surprisingly, it surfaced on the international bay on offer from a guy living literally 11 km from my house here in Denmark! - And he found it at his mother’s house quite close to my childhood neck of the woods out in the western boonies of Denmark. Apparently she picked it up years ago at a local garage sale, not for use or anything but for the gorgeous case. So we have no further detail of how on earth it ended up here.

Needless to say I am very happy to be able to add such local background to this rare find. One of the last British Gillettes outstanding on my wish list.

Big Fellow Chromium #20 - Now we know your name! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/big-fellow-chromium-20-now-we-know-your-name.453824/

6A157ABC-3FE8-4ABB-AA64-91C2FE3E73DE.jpeg
B39D744B-BC19-48DE-AD17-2908AB522A26.jpeg
5C36A8E4-F60C-4988-B87B-B5695B80CB13.jpeg
7BC4BD4F-7861-46BB-B84F-D0DC0AB0D68F.jpeg

69639EC9-B7FA-401A-8026-844E06DD77E0.png

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
View attachment 1128874

I am stoked to finally reel in this true rarity, a Big Fellow Chromium #20 RFB. I am no expert on Big Fellows and Big Boys but according to the below B&B thread from 2015 it wasn’t even until that year that a shipper surfaced to actually confirm the official name and set # of this razor (shipper pic attached in the small pic). I know only of a handful of other specimens sitting tight with other longer term collectors.

At first glance it looks almost identical to the more seen New Big Boy Chromium Deluxe. But then you notice that Raised Flat Bottom baseplate which promises a much smoother and mild shave. This combination of a New RFB head and a large Big Fellow/Big Boy handle really makes this 3-piece razor a unique hybrid that I cannot wait to try out.

All chrome plated brass, 97 mm long from head to toe and weighing in at 85 grams this is a large razor. Quite bigger than my usual preference. But on the other hand it seems perfectly balanced and holds the blade exactly like a wonderful #88 New RFB, it’s smaller size cousin of the same era. The razor is made in England but the case is made in USA, just like with the other #20 sets seen earlier.

Obviously this particular specimen has not seen a lot of use, it is in absolutely stunning original shape, teeth straight, chrome is remarkably nice all over, and the case also excellent except a few scratches and a slight color fading to the inside lining of the lid.

Surprisingly, it surfaced on the international bay on offer from a guy living literally 11 km from my house here in Denmark! - And he found it at his mother’s house quite close to my childhood neck of the woods out in the western boonies of Denmark. Apparently she picked it up years ago at a local garage sale, not for use or anything but for the gorgeous case. So we have no further detail of how on earth it ended up here.

Needless to say I am very happy to be able to add such local background to this rare find. One of the last British Gillettes outstanding on my wish list.

Big Fellow Chromium #20 - Now we know your name! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/big-fellow-chromium-20-now-we-know-your-name.453824/

View attachment 1128872View attachment 1128873View attachment 1128875View attachment 1128876

View attachment 1128877
Great score and story, Peter. I saw one of these on the bay a few years ago and, until today, hadn’t seen one since. Enjoy!

View attachment 1128874

View attachment 1128872View attachment 1128873View attachment 1128875View attachment 1128876

View attachment 1128877
Beautiful!

Top Bottom