What's new

Raised Flat Bottom family reunion

R

romsitsa

Could you post a photo of the case and the razor?
As these were mass produced items the most you can determine is wether it's a matching set or not (except the case and razor are personalised).

Adam

Here is the top of the base.
IMG_0840.jpg

Here is the case.

IMG_0841.jpg

Here is the #77 “Bakelite
IMG_0842.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is another #77
IMG_0843.JPG

Notice the corner cut outs.

Unfortunately the photo of the #88 does not show the top of the
base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

Hello,

no worries, your razor and case are matching.
The green cased No 77 is a "late" version (notice how the head is pressed onto the neck and green case), the brown one is an "early" model (cutouts on comb and early case).
The cut out of the base could have remained from the Goodwill era and later they simplified production with leaving the cuts off.

Here is an early British New from Achim, it has the same cut outs.
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1930s NEW No10 from Andon Karov.jpg

Adam

I do love the RFBs I have the Gillette 77 and several Rotbarts. I have noticed a difference in angle of holding the razors more than a quality or smoothness of shave

Hello,

no worries, your razor and case are matching.
The green cased No 77 is a "late" version (notice how the head is pressed onto the neck and green case), the brown one is an "early" model (cutouts on comb and early case).
The cut out of the base could have remained from the Goodwill era and later they simplified production with leaving the cuts off.

Here is an early British New from Achim, it has the same cut outs.
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1930s NEW No10 from Andon Karov.jpg

Adam
Would you agree that the above pictured #77 in brown Bakelite has a base like mine w/o corner cut outs?

NEW arrival in the den!
My second 3 piece RFB with hollow handle, replated in rhodium. This one weighs 65.2 grams compared to my #44 at 53.1 grams.

Fantastic first shave, I prefer the grip and added weight with this handle. I believe a brown bakelite case goes with this one no?

20180713_163511.jpg
20180713_161444.jpg
20180713_162019.jpg
20180713_161752.jpg

Last edited:
The hollow handle to the right is for the French market Tech. I believe it was made in France and never came with a RFB NEW originally.

The hollow handle to the right is for the French market Tech. I believe it was made in France and never came with a RFB NEW originally.

Thanks for the history Tonich. Shame its not a set, but it compliments my hollow ball end nicely.

Today I finally took delivery of my 2 replated 2-piece #77’s from Chris Evatt. For a long moment I actually feared that they were lost at sea, was en route forever without tracking working properly. But thankfully they turned up alive and kicking.

One came to me from the BST (courtesy of our good B&B colleague @tonich) and the other came from the murky waters of the bay.

I decided to have one replated in its original silver and the other in bright nickel (I do love Chris’ bright nickel, probably my favorite hue). And interestingly the two are different in the way that one has all text engravings on the back of the baseplate (and nothing on the handle) whereas the other has engravings on both baseplate and handle. Also the teeth are visibly thicker on the first one, never noticed that before.

I think that Chris (as always) has done a remarkable job in replating the two. And oh, I couldn’t help putting my 3rd specimen of the same 2-piece #77 model in the pic too. I wonder if you can spot this one out of the bunch...:)

F3C46ECC-3881-4351-A097-7D0D47BB0F0D.jpeg
4CA84E58-FDAA-4EED-802F-A6E20E18BF8B.jpeg
86EC855F-8D51-4A15-A66C-9012575B84F9.jpeg
2524D11F-8137-4110-BA25-052BD0B4ADC9.jpeg

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Look great, Peter. Chris is great at what he does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom