What's new

Race To The Finish PIF! Win a Dans Black Arkansas Oilstone or a Belgian Coticule!

It's not that early on the East Coast. Although, those of us with young, insomniac kids may have been up alarmingly early.

Congrats, Jerry! I'm calling it. A month from now you will have at least 5 straights, two strops and a hone. :lol:

He's right, I started about a month ago and I'm up to five. Still one strop only, has a couple nicks in it. Don't want to buy a new one and nick that one up as well. Leaning towards stropping with a piece of balsa wood.

He's right, I started about a month ago and I'm up to five. Still one strop only, has a couple nicks in it. Don't want to buy a new one and nick that one up as well. Leaning towards stropping with a piece of balsa wood.
The balsa wood is really great. I can absolutely recommend it.

Razors and hones are both rabbit holes that it's easy to fall pretty deeply into. Regardless of who wins today, at least one Arkie is definitely in my future, and I'll probably end up with a full range of them so I can go from bevel set to finish. I'm sure it takes a lot longer that way, but there is something about honing on a natural stone that I just don't get from a synthetic. Maybe it's the smell.

BTW I went to some hardware stores looking for fine sandpaper to refurbish my straights, the finest they had in the woodworking section was 1200. I have heard rumors about very fine sandpaper being made for polishing car lacquer. Where do you buy this?

Top Bottom