What's new

R41 - to buy or not to buy

Hey, try it! If you don't like it, put it on the B/S/T.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
+1

R41 is not really an OC and will not give the typical OC experience. If you really want to try an OC, try something else. I have plenty of OC razors and R41 does not feel like any of them.

That said, R41 is well worth trying and is a razor I am keeping in my rotation of top performing razors. So, instead of getting just R41, get R41 and additionally an OC, for example RR Old Type from italianbarber.com
I agree wholeheartedly. I have a FaTip Grande which is a true open comb. The R41 is completely different. Having said that I love the R41. It is aggressive and will demand your attention and respect. Technique is the key. If you have good technique you will be rewarded.

I bought one earlier this year. I too was concerned. I found that technique and respect for the R41 trumps its reputation.
Yes!

R41 is not really an OC and will not give the typical OC experience. If you really want to try an OC, try something else. I have plenty of OC razors and R41 does not feel like any of them.

I agree. It is a great razor and I love it, however I would not class it as a true open comb. More of a hybrid to me. It is however a very efficient and pleasant razor to use. One of my favorites.

Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up ordering the R41 head, and I should get it tomorrow. I have been shaving a lot recently with my Muhle R89, and while I do like that razor, it may be just a tad too mild for me.

Let us know how you make out. I find I get less irritation from a more aggressive razor cause I use less pressure and make less passes. Really hope it works out for you.

I bought a R41 Twist and held on to it for a year before I got the courage to try it.
I finally tried it and used it for 4 months straight. I used all type of blades, even Dorco 300 and even my worst blade a Schick blade.
I only drew blood once, and that was on a mole on my chin that I have gotten a couple of times before in 3 and a half years of Wet Shaving. I didn't blame the razor.
I didn't think that I would like the long handle of the Twist, but the weight makes it a great shaver.
I highly recommend!
IMG_0151.JPG

First shave with the R41 this morning, and I was quite impressed! From the first stroke, I knew this razor would be a lot different that was I was used to (Merkur 34, R89). It was almost as if I were a beginning wetshaver again. The R41 will definitely keep me honest. I did a 3-pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG), and I ended with a tiny weeper and a little irritation on the neck, which is usually a problem area for me anyway. I ended with a BBS shave, and my face still feels just as smooth at 4:00 in the afternoon. I'm glad I picked this one up, and I am looking forward to really learning how to use it. Do you all have a favorite blade for this razor?

My favorites are KAI and Feather

EDIT: This razor got two rails for stabilizing the blade. Sadly they are far from the edge of the blade, so a too dull blade will cause some blade flexing because of the resistance. With sharp blades like KAI and Feather I never nick myself, but with less sharp blades I would have big difficulties to not cause any weeper.

Last edited:
I got irritation using Feather blades. I changed to Astra Superior Stainless which seemed to eliminate the irritation. I've had many great shaves using the Astra blades.

Last edited:
Top Bottom