What's new

R41 - to buy or not to buy

As the title suggests, I am contemplating getting an R41, and I thought I would check in with you guys to see if you had any thoughts. I have never used an OC before, and the razors I own are more on the mild end of the spectrum. I know that the R41 is supposed to be quite aggressive, but one factor that is pushing me toward the R41 is I already have a Muhle R89, so I am thinking I can just pick up the R41 head from Maggards for <$30 and put that head on the R89 handle.

I have been wetshaving for a few years, so I think my technique is at least decent. Do you think I would be ok jumping into the OC world with the R41?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Hey, try it! If you don't like it, put it on the B/S/T.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If you are anything like me you already know the answer.
Of course you are going to buy it!
I got one. It looks scarier than it shaves. At least for me.
As with all new razors I was very careful the first couple of shaves.
After a while you forget that it is a beast.

Go for it, what's the worst that could happen?

Aside from bleeding to death, naturally. But that doesn't really seem likely.

If you have an extra handle laying around you can get an R41 head only from Maggards. You'll save yourself some money especially if you don't like it. I used mine for the first time this past weekend. I was a bit nervous but nothing bad happened. I did get some pulling from the blade but I chock that up to improper angle. I made 2 passes with it and then finished a third pass with my New LC (too nervous to try a third pass with the R41). It is definitely efficient .

I found it a difficult razor to master, and its reputation for being a very aggressive/assertive razor is well-deserved IMO. However, you're clearly happy and confident in your technique, so I would say to give it a go, but in the knowledge that it may take you some time to adjust fully to the razor. It is worth the effort, though - it is a fantastic razor once you've tamed the beast!

I'd say that R41 is an aggressive razor and it's not meant to be recommended to people who haven't tried an OC before. But, if you feel like you're ready and you have faith in your technique, go for it. The shave will be totally different than the R89 shave. You have to pay a lot more attention, especially during the first shaves with it.

Last edited:
R41 is not really an OC and will not give the typical OC experience. If you really want to try an OC, try something else. I have plenty of OC razors and R41 does not feel like any of them.

That said, R41 is well worth trying and is a razor I am keeping in my rotation of top performing razors. So, instead of getting just R41, get R41 and additionally an OC, for example RR Old Type from italianbarber.com

Last edited:
I used a Muhle R106 (very mild razor) for a few months and then got the R41. I really like it, a lot. I have great shaves with it. One needs to use careful, best technique (no pressure!) but it's a great device. No razor burn.

It's not a huge investment, and you can always sell it if you don't like it. Everyone should know what "too mild" and "too aggressive" mean. If the R41 serves that function for you, you'll have learned something. If not, you will have a great razor.

R41 is not really an OC and will not give the typical OC experience. If you really want to try an OC, try something else. I have plenty of OC razors and R41 does not feel like any of them.

That said, R41 is well worth trying and is a razor I am keeping in my rotation of top performing razors. So, instead of getting just R41, get R41 and additionally an OC, for example RR Old Type from italianbarber.com
I agree that the R41 is not an OC in the true sense and is a different experience from a Gillette New or OT so If you want an OC experience, look for an OC. If you want an R41, then definitely get one. Personally, I had one in the past and did not find it aggressive or anything close to what a lot of folks are saying about it. I found it to be a comfortable and efficient shaver.

I agree that the R41 is not an OC in the true sense and is a different experience from a Gillette New or OT so If you want an OC experience, look for an OC. If you want an R41, then definitely get one. Personally, I had one in the past and did not find it aggressive or anything close to what a lot of folks are saying about it. I found it to be a comfortable and efficient shaver.

I'm with Les on this one, but I love mine. It's more on the mild/aggressive side than just straight up aggressive as heck. Keep in mind when buying one there are two versions of the r41, 2011 and 2013, the latter being less aggressive with less blade exposure. I still have mine (2013) and I use it at least once a week it's seriously one of my favorite razors next to my wunderbar.

It was my second razor. Jumped from the MTO to the R41. I loved it - used it pretty much exclusively for 8 months or so. Until I got the Ikon Tech. Recently sold the R41.
The angle the razor holds the blade at is a bit different and I preferred steep angle shaving with it. It was not real picky on blades, IMHO, which can be handy.
I say go for this hybrid masterpiece!

It was my second razor. Jumped from the MTO to the R41. I loved it - used it pretty much exclusively for 8 months or so. Until I got the Ikon Tech. Recently sold the R41.
The angle the razor holds the blade at is a bit different and I preferred steep angle shaving with it. It was not real picky on blades, IMHO, which can be handy.
I have the R41(2011 head) and it's a great shaver but the Ikon Tech is aggressive but much smoother.

I did the same thing but I kept the R41 in the rotation. The Tech is my go to but the R41 is still a great razor.

As long as you respect it and use light pressure, you'll be fine. I actually dont find he R41 to be all that scary, IMO its a lot easier to use than the vintage open combs are.

I bought one earlier this year. I too was concerned. I found that technique and respect for the R41 trumps its reputation.

I have a 2011 version of the R41. It is a really nice razor but hardly a good choice for a neophyte. It is somewhat "adjustable" by prudent choice of blades though. It can offer performance equal to or maybe even better than a well tuned straight razor. Another option might be a Rockwell 6S. Just as good a shave for the most part and much more tune-able....but the R41 will prevail in a comparison

Top Bottom