What's new

Question regarding Slim

I have a '63 Slim razor. It's the one razor in my very small collection that I just like to look at rather than use. I've used it a few times, and it seemed to work just fine. However today when I went to put a new blade in it, I noticed the metal sleeve that connects to the head of the razor, just above the adjustment dial moves up on its own or if I force it up by hand. I can make it go back down by putting my finger on one of the 4 things that come up to adjust the blade inside the head of the razor. Not sure if those of you that have a Slim can picture what I'm saying or not....

I just wanna know my razors okay. As I said...it seems to shave fine, and I took it through all 9 settings and it seems to adjust. Although, kinda hard to see the little differences between say 1 and 3. I usually have it on setting 5.

I think that what you're talking about is what moves when adjustments are made on the dial. If so, then your razor is fine. It can be raised by lightly touching the plate with your finger. It should be fine. :)

I think that what you're talking about is what moves when adjustments are made on the dial. If so, then your razor is fine. It can be raised by lightly touching the plate with your finger. It should be fine. :)

Oh okay that's good to hear! So yours does the same thing? Also it's supposed to "click" every time you adjust the number right? Cuz mine makes a nice loud click every time I adjust the setting.

Oh okay that's good to hear! So yours does the same thing? Also it's supposed to "click" every time you adjust the number right? Cuz mine makes a nice loud click every time I adjust the setting.

Yes. Your razor acts just as mine does. I'm glad that you have a nice Gillette Slim in your collection.

And remember, should you be a James Bond movie fan, that he used a Gillette Slim in the film Goldfinger. Before I watch that movie, I pull out one of my Slims and use it, then watch with a smile every time I see that scene.

Enjoy your razors in good health!

Yes. Your razor acts just as mine does. I'm glad that you have a nice Gillette Slim in your collection.

And remember, should you be a James Bond movie fan, that he used a Gillette Slim in the film Goldfinger. Before I watch that movie, I pull out one of my Slims and use it, then watch with a smile every time I see that scene.

Enjoy your razors in good health!

That's good. I thought I had something to be worried about there for a minute! Are the Fatboy razors the same way then too? Yes the Slim is my prized possession of my little collection. I'm not sure whether I should use it or just look at it. It's my only adjustable I have now, although I should be having a Fatboy soon.

And yes I've seen that when I was a kid. I didn't remember that scene where the razors in the movie..had to look it up awhile back. Something about it being a detonator or something sneaky like that?

Thanks you too!

Yes, the Fatboy will have the same feature. It's the plate that makes the razor more aggressive or mild when the dial is turned. I hope that you enjoy your Fatboy when it comes in.

I believe that it's a tracking device that it holds. It's been almost a year since last I saw it, so once Fatboy February and One Blade in February events are concluded, I'll likely get my 1962 Gillette Slim ready for a shave, then watch James Bond with my fiancée.

Thank you!

Okay, thanks for answering my questions about the adjustable razors. I'm somewhat new to them as I've kinda been used to my Super Speed for the longest time. I'm sure I will enjoy the fatboy, thank you!

I'll have to watch it again...I don't even remember it to be honest. I like some of those classic movies.

It was my pleasure, I assure you. I never mind helping a member whenever I can. Sometimes in helping, I even learn something new myself, and that's always fun!

I own a few Gillette Super Speed razors myself. Reliable, sturdy, and always ready to give you a nice shave. They were the true workhorse of Gillette, if you ask me. An 'every man' razor, as it were. I always enjoy using one of them, especially my black handled Super Speed like my dad used when I was growing up. Sadly, he threw his original one out, and I picked him up a 50's model from when he was in high school, which he really enjoys using today.

I love the old classic films. Cary Grant and Bing Crosby are just a couple of my favorites. I hope that you get the chance to watch it again at some point. :)

Your Gillette Slim adjustable is working correctly if you see the four blade positioning posts rise higher corresponding to an increase in the adjustment number. At setting 1 these posts will be very low, and at 9 they will be at their highest.

As others have pointed out, a nominal amount of play in the elevator platform is entirely normal. Enjoy your vintage treasure!

proxy.php

Thanks guys so much for the help, really appreciate it! The Fatboy has the same thing so both are in good working order!

Top Bottom