What's new

Gillette Slim blade gap steps .003 or .005 inch?

I received a revamped Slim J code recently and it seemed to me like the blade gap on my preferred setting was wrong. I checked it against my other two Slims and it was different. My other two Slims have a gap on setting 5 of about .027. The revamp was closer to .032. I wrote to the company and they sent me a shipping label and I returned it for adjustment.

Today I received an email from them saying that setting 1 is .015 and the steps are .005, making setting 5 a .035 gap. So they are sending it back set to that.

That doesn't sound right to me. I've seen several sources online saying the steps are .003 inch. I did see one video of a re-build of a Fatboy where the instructions said to "clock" the razor so the gap was .032 at setting 5, but every other source seems to show .027 as the gap at setting 5 and the change in gap between settings as .003.

Anyone out there have an idea about this?

Would I sound silly if I said, I have no idea what the gaps are on my FB and Slim?

Adjust to the # that works and shave away.

Don't over think it. It's just shaving.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
With dial calipers I get just about 0.005" per step, not easy to measure holding it in my hand.

Remember that those base plates are both stamped and subject to being bent by the razor being banged around or dropped. I've had to adjust nearly every Gillette Adjustable I've gotten to get the blade gap even across the guard and from side to side, a variation of 0.002" wouldn't shock me at all.

You are right about the gap and the seller/fixer isn't.
Now the trillion dollar question is: how will it shave.....you may like it.....let's hope.....and then it's ALL GOOD, but if you don't like it.....maybe worth further discussing w seller.

I sent 2 fatboys to have serviced.....told them that they were rough (one even cut me) bars were uneven etc.....both fatties were in pristine condition....so I told him: these don't need to be polished.....just fix the shaving......and of course: they came back the SAME!!!!useless....wasted $30x2. I also sent another Fatboy , to another company, this one needed revamp (nickel) plating BUT was shaving FINE......well it came looking better (a bit mat for my taste , NO shine) BUT they managed to ruin the shave.....too mild.....

I'd rather not say the name of the provider as I'm not sure if I'm right or they are. On the other hand, I guess all they can really do is set it at .015 for the first setting. After that it's just a matter of how far the mechanism moves with each click which I don't think is adjustable. I didn't check it at the first setting when I had it, just the 5th where I use it.

Yes, I understand I could just use a different setting and complaining about this is being kind of picky, but for what I paid I expected the adjustment to match what was available online as the original gaps. I'm not inclined to argue with them. I didn't look at what the metric equivalents are. Maybe there's some confusion there with the fraction of a millimeter rather than the inch scale.

Top Bottom