What's new

Question on GEM razors (Featherweight, etc)

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Found one!

Ended up going with one of the two I was watching. A little bit of paint spatter on the handle, but otherwise appears in good condition. We'll see for sure when it arrives. [emoji16]

Thanks folks. Appreciate all of the info and support
Nice one!!! The head looks great, and I think you'll find the handles clean up well too! The FW always comes with me on business trips -- I know I can count on a nice close shave without looking like I contracted the measles. I predict great enjoyment in your future. Please make sure you share your shave, and don't forget to join us for Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday)....all GEMs are welcome!!!

Nice one!!! The head looks great, and I think you'll find the handles clean up well too! The FW always comes with me on business trips -- I know I can count on a nice close shave without looking like I contracted the measles. I predict great enjoyment in your future. Please make sure you share your shave, and don't forget to join us for Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday)....all GEMs are welcome!!!
Thank you. I am very excited to try it. Should be here in a week it so, I believe.

Unfortunately, doing Gemonday would leave me with only a SE shave every other week (I shave every other day). I will need to add Single-Edge-Sunday to the mix, so I'm using them at least once a week. [emoji16]

Anything made after the Flying Wing Bullet Tip you'll most likely get along with well shaving since they are on the mild end of SE razors.
Here is a list of potential razors besides the Featherweight
Heavy flat top aka G-bar
Push Button
Contour
Contour II

As long as you don't buy high end collector sets or NOS there are plenty of user grade in good condition or better budget razors still for all these if you want to wait out the right auction/BIN or BST sale.

Not knocking the featherweight by any means (as I have one and use it regularly), but a Gem 1912 is in order here.

If you haven’t guessed, I really like the 1912.

:001_tt1:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Not knocking the featherweight by any means (as I have one and use it regularly), but a Gem 1912 is in order here.

If you haven’t guessed, I really like the 1912.

:001_tt1:
+1= get both is my suggestion, the GEM 1912 is more common and cheaper and was loved & sold by the millions(that is a accurate #)!

Does anyone know the story behind a Star safety razor that looks like a 1912? Is it the same shave?

Does anyone know the story behind a Star safety razor that looks like a 1912? Is it the same shave?
I had one and it sure felt like the same shave and looked like my Gems. I’m bad with the history, but that Str you saw would have been after The ASR/Gem/Star merger.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Unfortunately, doing Gemonday would leave me with only a SE shave every other week (I shave every other day). I will need to add Single-Edge-Sunday to the mix, so I'm using them at least once a week.

Even when I was doing electric I shaved (head) three times a week. Typically Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Monday's always a three-day shave, lots to remove and then I start the week all freshly planed off.

Oh...by the way...you've got mail.

O.H.

A lot of them show up on the French ebay site; they may have been marketed predominantly in Europe. I have another 1912 variant with RADIO stamped on the back, indicating perhaps a tie-in with Radio SE blades. The shave is the same as any other 1912 from the teens/twenties.

A lot of them show up on the French ebay site; they may have been marketed predominantly in Europe. I have another 1912 variant with RADIO stamped on the back, indicating perhaps a tie-in with Radio SE blades. The shave is the same as any other 1912 from the teens/twenties.
Ahh, thanks.

I was looking at a brass 1912 by Star, wondering if it were the same animal. However, I'm on hold awaiting a bid I put in on an unfortunate looking Gem 1912. Figure, for the low price (if I'm lucky to get it) I can do some cleaning and polishing.

Also, have an offer, if that falls through, from a kind board member for a 1912. So, the star is likely moot at this point (other than sheer knowledge).

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
While you're waiting on that bid, take a good close look at the pix of that razor. Make sure the teensy little blade retention tabs are in place on either side of the safety bar.

While I'm never in favour of tossing anything vintage, at the same time for what these things are worth in today's market you'd be wasting money just thinking about fixing the tabs. It's been done; I've seen pictures. It's not trivial.

O.H.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
While you're waiting on that bid, take a good close look at the pix of that razor. Make sure the teensy little blade retention tabs are in place on either side of the safety bar.

While I'm never in favour of tossing anything vintage, at the same time for what these things are worth in today's market you'd be wasting money just thinking about fixing the tabs. It's been done; I've seen pictures. It's not trivial.

O.H.

Good advice, I once got a pretty good gash from one sans blade stop.

Good advice, I once got a pretty good gash from one sans blade stop.
Well, I lost the auction... So tab stops are moot. Lol.

Thanks folks. I noticed the stops on my bullet tip... I definitely looked for them here. Keep in mind, eBay pictures are notoriously bad quality. Still, I was fairly certain they were there and intact. [emoji846]

Top Bottom