What's new

Question on GEM razors (Featherweight, etc)

Let me ask a question I should have thought of some time ago... Does the 1912 act like an open comb, with those slats in the front?

As compared to a safety bar, yes. But the 1912 is pretty mild
Gotcha. Thanks.

It doesn't seem to be an agressive or mild thing... Something about OC razors, I can't shave with them. I've gotten uncomfortable, irritating shaves from the Razorock old type and Merkur 1912... Both super low agression.

Guess I'm glad I didn't win the auction. Lol.

Going to try the Featherweight first and see how that goes (didn't arrive yesterday,so should be today). From what I can ascertain, it's more mild than the bullet tip. It should be wonderful for me. [emoji846]

So the Featherweight arrived. Looks great. Can't wait to shave with it. Either tomorrow or Friday (for my first shave in SEptember).

I worry about the head, which appears to close with just the pressure of some metal tab, lasting all that long. But I'll enjoy it while I can. If I love it enough, maybe a backup is in order. Lol. [emoji16]
proxy.php
proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
@mrdoug I think your razor should be all right because from the picture s you have shown the spring clasp is not all the way forward and in the middle of the indicator area as I refer to it. I like using that razor breaking in a new Personna SS PTFE blade or just using for pleasure.
Feather weight (2).jpg Feather weight (3).jpg
Blade is under enough pressure as indicator shows and enjoy it.
Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
So the Featherweight arrived. Looks great. Can't wait to shave with it. Either tomorrow or Friday (for my first shave in SEptember).

I worry about the head, which appears to close with just the pressure of some metal tab, lasting all that long. But I'll enjoy it while I can. If I love it enough, maybe a backup is in order. Lol. [emoji16]
+1 on @Ron R's comment. And I know what you mean, I had the same longevity concern with my Featherweight; but it has held up very well for me, and it is really a nice shaver. I tend to like aggression, but this mild'ish razor has really won my heart.

@mrdoug I think your razor should be all right because from the picture s you have shown the spring clasp is not all the way forward and in the middle of the indicator area as I refer to it. I like using that razor breaking in a new Personna SS PTFE blade or just using for pleasure.
View attachment 1003783 View attachment 1003784
Blade is under enough pressure as indicator shows and enjoy it.
Have some great shaves!
+1 on @Ron R's comment. And I know what you mean, I had the same longevity concern with my Featherweight; but it has held up very well for me, and it is really a nice shaver. I tend to like aggression, but this mild'ish razor has really won my heart.
Awesome, thanks guys. I'm thinking it may get a first voyage tonight. Can't wait until Monday (or even the weekend). [emoji16]

Ron R

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm thinking it may get a first voyage tonight. Can't wait until Monday (or even the weekend). [emoji16]
Just part of the learning curve, some of the fellows might of mentioned this but shallow approach is needed for a good shave.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg
Have some great shaves!

Just part of the learning curve, some of the fellows might of mentioned this but shallow approach is needed for a good shave.
View attachment 1003851 View attachment 1003852
Have some great shaves!
Thank you. Yep that's the angle I gravitated toward. Glad to know I was on the right track, lol.

So I got a chance to shave with the Featherweight. It was a bit rough, and I couldn't figure it out until I whipped out the bullet tip for a few swipes... That was even worse. I went back to the FW, then finished my ATG we the a DE razor. Even that was tougher than normal. So, I am going to assume my face was having some issues... Because everything can't have all of a sudden broke, lol. I'm going to give it a other run on Friday, of which I am sure will work much better.

If it goes as I expect, I'll probably hunt down a second FW as a backup. It it goes great, I'll hunt down two backups and re-pif the bullet tip, lol. [emoji16]

Ron R

Thank you. Yep that's the angle I gravitated toward. Glad to know I was on the right track, lol.

So I got a chance to shave with the Featherweight. It was a bit rough, and I couldn't figure it out until I whipped out the bullet tip for a few swipes... That was even worse. I went back to the FW, then finished my ATG we the a DE razor. Even that was tougher than normal. So, I am going to assume my face was having some issues... Because everything can't have all of a sudden broke, lol. I'm going to give it a other run on Friday, of which I am sure will work much better.

If it goes as I expect, I'll probably hunt down a second FW as a backup. It it goes great, I'll hunt down two backups and re-pif the bullet tip, lol. [emoji16]
I'm curious what type of soap you were using, hope it has the protection you deserve!

I'm curious what type of soap you were using, hope it has the protection you deserve!
It was Summer break soaps original formula (Teachers pet scent). I've only used it once before, I think with a mild rockwell 6s - r2? If I recall it was competent, maybe good... Not top of the line, but not junk either.

I could have mixed it wrong... Too much / little water. I could have gotten too much sun or whatever else as a skin irritant. Any number of things could have ruined it. Crap happens... I intentionally tossed in two other razors so I knew it absolutely wasn't the FW. So, tomorrow I make another go at it.

I need to start logging my shaves. I would go back and use the same soap as I did with the bullet tip, if I remembered what that was. Lol. [emoji16]

I'll definitely go with one of my best soaps this time, just to be certain I've given it the best chance.

Ron R

It was Summer break soaps original formula (Teachers pet scent). I've only used it once before, I think with a mild rockwell 6s - r2? If I recall it was competent, maybe good... Not top of the line, but not junk either.

I could have mixed it wrong... Too much / little water. I could have gotten too much sun or whatever else as a skin irritant. Any number of things could have ruined it. Crap happens... I intentionally tossed in two other razors so I knew it absolutely wasn't the FW. So, tomorrow I make another go at it.

I need to start logging my shaves. I would go back and use the same soap as I did with the bullet tip, if I remembered what that was. Lol. [emoji16]

I'll definitely go with one of my best soaps this time, just to be certain I've given it the best chance.
Sounds like a good plan, when you used a familiar DE and was still giving having issues I thought the soap would be questionable.
Have some great shaves!

Tried again this evening, this time I made sure I had a good slick lather. Still, it was sooo rough I had to stop and finish with my Razorock Lupo. I can't believe how rough it was, after the first two shaves were so good.

Is it possible it was only smooth because of the coating (I'm assuming I was sent a ptfe blade)? Am I then only then going to get 2 shaves per blade I can stand?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
You're going to get a strange blade every once in a while. I had one last week, as a matter of fact: got three shaves out of it and it suddenly felt like it was on shave 10. Swapped in a new blade and it's been great.

I'm not sure how durable the PTFE coating is. Trying to remember where I saw it lately, but I read an article saying that the PTFE coating is pretty much gone after the first or second use (if you flip the blade).

O.H.

You're going to get a strange blade every once in a while. I had one last week, as a matter of fact: got three shaves out of it and it suddenly felt like it was on shave 10. Swapped in a new blade and it's been great.

I'm not sure how durable the PTFE coating is. Trying to remember where I saw it lately, but I read an article saying that the PTFE coating is pretty much gone after the first or second use (if you flip the blade).

O.H.
Ahh, gotcha.

Hopefully my order will be in next week. Then I'll give it another try.

Thanks! [emoji846]

Order came in and I did my first shave with the Featherweight. A little too mild for me. I went back to the bullet tip for a clean-up pass. Today's shave was just the bullet tip shave and it was really good. Crossing my fingers that shave 3 won't be a dud like last time, lol.

Thanks everyone for the help. [emoji846]

Order came in and I did my first shave with the Featherweight. A little too mild for me. I went back to the bullet tip for a clean-up pass. Today's shave was just the bullet tip shave and it was really good. Crossing my fingers that shave 3 won't be a dud like last time, lol.
Thanks everyone for the help. [emoji846]

That bullet-tip is quite the razor. Hard to beat.

Question for you all...

Somewhere I was told (or read?) I should strop the GEM blade before the first shave. I know I read that jeans Work fine for this. As I'm not wearing jeans most of the time, this is an impractical solution.

Would a small strop (2"w x 18"l) be a good idea? Found one for around $10 that had good reviews.

Thanks again for the guidance. [emoji846]

Last edited:
I don't strop my GEM blades as I don't find the first shave to be rough. Some have stated they use a cork on the blade before the first use, but I would think the strop would work just fine.

Top Bottom