What's new

Question on GEM razors (Featherweight, etc)

Same here. I’ve read about people stropping Gem blades for the first use, and have tried it myself. However, I never noticed the difference and quickly gave up on it. Try stropping it on your jeans first and see what you think prior to spending money on a strop.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Question for you all...

Somewhere I was told (or read?) I should strop the GEM blade before the first shave. I know I read that jeans Work fine for this. As I'm not wearing jeans most of the time, this is an impractical solution.

Would a small strop (2"w x 18"l) be a good idea? Found one for around $10 that had good reviews.

Thanks again for the guidance. [emoji846]
You will have better results if you cork it a couple of times, hand stropping will not hurt anything after you have used the blade.
Hand stropping is a little dangerous but what it does is straighten any curled edges after being used to a finer edge. Leather strop with compounds does not work on stainless steel from my experiences, stropping with a strip of blue jeans with no compound will work also IMO from my cartridge days experimenting.
You should not have to strop with a GEM featherweight razor if hand technique is good because it is a little less aggressive than other GEM razors IMO. Having a strop around for other uses is good idea if your into straight razors or knife sharpening.
Ron's corking.jpg These are spent blades for visual purposes only.
Have some great shaves!

As compared to a safety bar, yes. But the 1912 is pretty mild
Despite a lot of hemming and hawing, and walking away from some opportunities due to a fear of it's OC look, I finally decided to give the 1912 a shot.

Cpool222 has a handful for sale in the BST for dirt cheap, all of which look really good. I grabbed one this morning. (Yea!)

Figure if I don't like it, I can PIF the razor without loosing much of anything. Now it's time to wait and cross my fingers. [emoji16]

Top Bottom