What's new

Quest for less technology

I haven't used one in a long time. I'll have to dig one out of the stash and revisit it.
GSB
music video 90s GIF

Evening shave - 3/27/24
Razor: Parker SoloEdge
Blade: Treet Platinum (half) (1)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24
Aftershave: Clubman Citrus Musk
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
First time using this razor and I have to say wow. It was a great very intuitive shave. Plenty close and I could have as easily have judged this a BBS, but there was a few small stubbled areas left. No irritation. Overall a wonderful shave.

All I can say is wow. That was an awesome first shave with a new razor. If I compare it with the Leaf Twig it was completely different. Where the Leaf Twig felt so inefficient this one was very efficient. The Parker SoloEdge is quite a bit heavier than the Leaf. Especially it is much more heavy in the head, which was a bit different from what I am used to. Also since this is a 2-piece razor you cannot change the handle to a heavier one to make up for that. It is much beefier head than the Leaf. It is probably as aggressive as a hmm RazoRock GC .84P I would say, but it does not feel like it. Blade feel was almost non-existent, but it certainly was assertive on the whiskers. Angle was very easy to find and hard to mess up. You have to be careful to fight a urge to go into cartridge mode of shaving and adding a bunch of pressure. I can see that would spell trouble. Just like any good DE just use a light hand here as well.

Blade performed flawlessly. I have used the Treet Platinum in the past and they have been really good for me. I had half a blade left after my tests of the Leaf Twig. The Parker SoloEdge must have been the first generation since it does not have little magnets to help you in seating the blade. Now I did not find it hard to load in any way. It looks like it supports and clamps the blade very well. I think that is why there was not much audible feedback either while shaving. Very solid built razor I would say. Form, fit and function is very good. Probably the best I have seen of any casted Zamak razors. I can see this razor being in my regular rotation of razors, but I will make that determination once I have more shaves under my belt with it.

Happy shaves everyone!

Well it is drawing near to my new blade adventures for the next 1.5 year or so. How long it will take will depend on if the blades will last a full week of not. I do however know that some of these will not hold out for a week so we shall see. Some tucks are also 10 blade tucks so those will have in there for quite some time. There is a blade tuck that I will use up before this venture, because I am going on a cruise in a couple of weeks and I do not want a blade with me that is unknown to me.

Our dear @Guido75, when he sent me the Swing razor also included a few other things as well and I will reveal these as we go along, but one thing was a few tucks of the Derby Premium, which I like quite a bit. I will this Sunday start using those to get used to them again and be well prepared for my trip on the high seas. After the trip and my tuck of Derby Premium is finished I will get into this....

1711631355945.jpeg

They were placed in a bag and pulled out at random. I will start from the top left to the right and then next row etc etc until I am done. It is a wide variety of blades here and I expect to have some challenges. I already know that the Tiger tuck will be one of those. I also have the Treet New Steel which is Carbon Steel so that is new to me and I do not think I can get a week from them. Is Treet Dura Sharp also Carbon Steel? I know they are coated, but are they Carbon Steel? Some of these I have used in low blade numbers before like Shark Platinum, Tiger, Lord Platinum (I think I used the "class" version though), Rapira, Derby Extra, BIC CP. Still many new to me blades. It will be a fun journey. Cheers!

Well it is drawing near to my new blade adventures for the next 1.5 year or so. How long it will take will depend on if the blades will last a full week of not. I do however know that some of these will not hold out for a week so we shall see. Some tucks are also 10 blade tucks so those will have in there for quite some time. There is a blade tuck that I will use up before this venture, because I am going on a cruise in a couple of weeks and I do not want a blade with me that is unknown to me.

Our dear @Guido75, when he sent me the Swing razor also included a few other things as well and I will reveal these as we go along, but one thing was a few tucks of the Derby Premium, which I like quite a bit. I will this Sunday start using those to get used to them again and be well prepared for my trip on the high seas. After the trip and my tuck of Derby Premium is finished I will get into this....

View attachment 1819473
They were placed in a bag and pulled out at random. I will start from the top left to the right and then next row etc etc until I am done. It is a wide variety of blades here and I expect to have some challenges. I already know that the Tiger tuck will be one of those. I also have the Treet New Steel which is Carbon Steel so that is new to me and I do not think I can get a week from them. Is Treet Dura Sharp also Carbon Steel? I know they are coated, but are they Carbon Steel? Some of these I have used in low blade numbers before like Shark Platinum, Tiger, Lord Platinum (I think I used the "class" version though), Rapira, Derby Extra, BIC CP. Still many new to me blades. It will be a fun journey. Cheers!
I don't see any GSBs in there. You're forgiven this time because of your soap analysis from earlier this morning.

I have tried a Treet carbon steel (black blade) - one and done which evolved into once and no longer.
Yeah we will see. I will try the Treet New Steel and if it is not working out, it is not working out. Not sure how the Treet New Steel compared to the
1711633211474.png
, but ........actually Razor Blade Club says that Treet New Steel is stainless steel hmmmm maybe it will be fine then. I might not have any carbon steel blades then, among my blades. I do not think that the Dura Sharp is a carbon steel either. It lists it as a PTFE coated blade. 🤷‍♂️

Evening shave - 3/27/24
Razor: Parker SoloEdge
Blade: Treet Platinum (half) (1)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24
Aftershave: Clubman Citrus Musk
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
First time using this razor and I have to say wow. It was a great very intuitive shave. Plenty close and I could have as easily have judged this a BBS, but there was a few small stubbled areas left. No irritation. Overall a wonderful shave.

All I can say is wow. That was an awesome first shave with a new razor. If I compare it with the Leaf Twig it was completely different. Where the Leaf Twig felt so inefficient this one was very efficient. The Parker SoloEdge is quite a bit heavier than the Leaf. Especially it is much more heavy in the head, which was a bit different from what I am used to. Also since this is a 2-piece razor you cannot change the handle to a heavier one to make up for that. It is much beefier head than the Leaf. It is probably as aggressive as a hmm RazoRock GC .84P I would say, but it does not feel like it. Blade feel was almost non-existent, but it certainly was assertive on the whiskers. Angle was very easy to find and hard to mess up. You have to be careful to fight a urge to go into cartridge mode of shaving and adding a bunch of pressure. I can see that would spell trouble. Just like any good DE just use a light hand here as well.

Blade performed flawlessly. I have used the Treet Platinum in the past and they have been really good for me. I had half a blade left after my tests of the Leaf Twig. The Parker SoloEdge must have been the first generation since it does not have little magnets to help you in seating the blade. Now I did not find it hard to load in any way. It looks like it supports and clamps the blade very well. I think that is why there was not much audible feedback either while shaving. Very solid built razor I would say. Form, fit and function is very good. Probably the best I have seen of any casted Zamak razors. I can see this razor being in my regular rotation of razors, but I will make that determination once I have more shaves under my belt with it.

Happy shaves everyone!
Nice review. Been looking at the Parker...certainly cant complain about pricing and for whatever reason I kinda like the 1/2 blade razors. The Leaf "Thorn" has been very good as has my Robin "Snap" razor.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.

View attachment 1819473
I've tried all those blades except two.

And there's four I would never use again.

:)

Yeah we will see. I will try the Treet New Steel and if it is not working out, it is not working out. Not sure how the Treet New Steel compared to the View attachment 1819506, but ........actually Razor Blade Club says that Treet New Steel is stainless steel hmmmm maybe it will be fine then. I might not have any carbon steel blades then, among my blades. I do not think that the Dura Sharp is a carbon steel either. It lists it as a PTFE coated blade. 🤷‍♂️

Blades and Blade names are confusing because with some manufacturers, they keep changing.

This is what Bullgoose Shaving has to say about the Durasharp.

"These carbon steel blades from the Treet group in Pakistan are PTFE coated and get high marks from Wet Shaving enthusiasts for their sharpness and smoothness. Product of Pakistan"

But... This is the photo of the box:

proxy.php

Whereas, my box looks different, it is blue.
proxy.php

Mine were from Amazon but these on Grown Man Shave are described as:

"Treet Blue Dura Sharp double edge razor blades are the more aggressive mild to medium aggressiveness sharper version of the Dura Sharp De blades. Individually wrapped and compatible with all standard De safety razors. The Treet Blue Dura sharp is a great razor blade for wet shavers who prefer a more efficient, close, and comfortable shave and coarse facial hair. Manufactured in Pakistan, a region with a long and interesting relationship with the razor blade, these safety razor blades are made with carbon steel and coated with Teflon/PTFE for extra comfort, glide resiliency, and smooth shave.

I had shaved with these in week #10 in 2023. The shaves were satisfactory. But I had been under the impression that they were stainless steel also. Apparently they are not, even though they are coated with PTFE?

In week #12, I shaved with the Treet Silver, which I knew were carbon steel. The shaves were fine.

In week #32, I shaved with the Treet carbon steel "Black Beauties". I expected them to be good, but they were awful!

Blades and Blade names are confusing because with some manufacturers, they keep changing.

This is what Bullgoose Shaving has to say about the Durasharp.

"These carbon steel blades from the Treet group in Pakistan are PTFE coated and get high marks from Wet Shaving enthusiasts for their sharpness and smoothness. Product of Pakistan"

But... This is the photo of the box:

proxy.php

Whereas, my box looks different, it is blue.
proxy.php

Mine were from Amazon but these on Grown Man Shave are described as:

"Treet Blue Dura Sharp double edge razor blades are the more aggressive mild to medium aggressiveness sharper version of the Dura Sharp De blades. Individually wrapped and compatible with all standard De safety razors. The Treet Blue Dura sharp is a great razor blade for wet shavers who prefer a more efficient, close, and comfortable shave and coarse facial hair. Manufactured in Pakistan, a region with a long and interesting relationship with the razor blade, these safety razor blades are made with carbon steel and coated with Teflon/PTFE for extra comfort, glide resiliency, and smooth shave.

I had shaved with these in week #10 in 2023. The shaves were satisfactory. But I had been under the impression that they were stainless steel also. Apparently they are not, even though they are coated with PTFE?

In week #12, I shaved with the Treet Silver, which I knew were carbon steel. The shaves were fine.

In week #32, I shaved with the Treet carbon steel "Black Beauties". I expected them to be good, but they were awful!
Thank you very much for the explanation. So I have the Blue Dual Sharps so they are they Carbon Steel coated with PTFE. I have a whole tuck so I will test one once I've used it and let it sit in the open and put water on it here and there to see if it rusts. Interesting.

Top Bottom