What's new

Quest for less technology

I am a simple man. At least I want to be. The older I am getting the simpler I want to make things. Being an Electrical Engineer maybe it does not make sense, but the less technology the more enjoyable I find it anymore. This is where my journey started into wet shaving.

When I was younger I did start out in the cartridge world, but it was just a chore to shave and I only shaved when I had to. This was maybe every 7-10 days when I started to look like a mountain man and I could not take the itch. Yes I did try to grow a beard a couple of times, but the itch was something I could never get past. Yes I know that once you get past that stage you are fine. Anyways... I do not even know what cartridges I used. Whatever was on sale I guess and some foam or goop in a can.

Once I started working after college I had to be presentable and I started using an electric razor. Norelco and Braun was my weapons of choice. Shaving was just something I did, every morning before work. Fast forward decades. Here I am 50 (end 2022) years old and I want to make life less complicated, less technology centered. Not sure if I made it less complicated though, but I digress. For some unknown reason I decided to get a safety razor. I remember as a child seeing my father shave with one and I thought that they looked cool. The easiest way to acquire one was to go to the large W store and get a KCG razor, so I did along with some Cremo.

I did not do too bad without instructions or pointers (I had not found B&B at the time). Yes I nicked and cut myself, but I would not call it a bloodbath. However, my skin was a bit upset with me. Having only electric shaved for decades it did not like me. Raw would be a good word for it.

More to follow....
-Boris

My first shaves with the KCG were ok, not great. I found the blades that came with it ok, but I needed more blades and I found out about IB. Ops down the rabbit hole I went. Not only did I pickup a pack of Nacet (still have not tried them btw) and also picked up a couple of very inexpensive razors. RR Tech II and Quick-Change DE which was very inexpensive. I forgot to mention that I am cheap! I also put in an order with the river in south america company and got a sample pack, cheapest badger (if it is real), and a lather bowl. I also found VDH soap pucks in a local store.

Now I started to try different blades using my VDH soap and brush. Shaves were getting better but not great so I finally found this great community of B&B and it is just loaded with enablers and that was all that I needed. I did take decent notes on my blade testing though, but what I found is that I could get decent shaves with great majority of blades. Maybe my technique got better and blades just works, who knows. I never really had that feeling of a blade tearing me up.

Blades that I have tested so far:
KCG
Derby Green
Shark Super Stainless
Dorco ST300
Dorco STP301 (Prime)
Shark Platinum
Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Super-Max Diamond Edge Super Platinum
Astra SP
Lord Cool Super Stainless

I've gotten 5 shaves with each of these blades to evaluate them. Some are definitely sharper and some are definitely more comfortable, but I can work with most of them. However, having said that the Astra SP is definitely on top of my list. I got about 12-13 shaves out of that blade without any problem. I do have a number of blades left to test though. Isn't it funny that I have a 100 pack of Nacets and I have not even tried it yet? That's me I buy on a whip and then let it sit.

I did go through a spurt as well where I got a number of vintage razors. I got one Gillette Tech, 2 Gillette Flare Tip SuperSpeed TTO's and my best score was a Gillette Slim for $10. I was proud of that. It was filthy though, but my ultrasonic cleaner took care of that one. I have not used them that much yet, but it is on my to do list. I have used the Tech the most.

The latest acquisition though is the RR GC 68P and the RR SLOC. I have used the GC 68P for the last 3 days or so and it is a fine razor. Still getting used to it and the angles.

More to follow....
-Boris

One thing I do enjoy is to make soap. I have been making my own soap in the past for home and friends. Of course I could not pass up the chance to make my own shave soap. I investigated it heavily on YT and found several good videos and I settled on making a dual lye shave soap. I even bought some of the deodorant containers to put some into for use while I am travelling.

My shave soap was Stearic Acid based and with extra glycerin and some Kaolin clay for extra slip. I've never made a shave soap before, but it was a fun experience. I did get some Sweet Sandalwood fragrance oil to use in it as well. Dual lye soaps are using what is called hot-process so I fired up my crock pot and went to town. Everything went well, but it was a very thick soap paste that had to be pressed into the containers. I was able to fill two of the deodorant stick containers and four other containers. I did a 500g oil batch so not a big batch.

A few days later I tried it out for the first time and I actually had made a VERY serviceable shave soap. It lathered great and provided plenty of slip and cushion. Actually I find it better than many of the commercial soaps that I have since acquired. I even gave a container to a local friend of mine and he likes it very much. I actually got him into DE shaving too. I will definitely make more soap in the future. It is a lot of fun.

-Boris

Morning shave
Razor: RazoRock GC 68P
Blade: Dorco Prime (6)
Soap: ARKO
Brush: Inexpensive unnamed synthetic
Aftershave: AV Classic
Rating: 9/10, DFS++
This blade is really surprising me. It is holding up really nicely. Very comfortable shave.

The RR Game Changer .68P is really a nice razor. All the talk on the forums of how good it is made me want to buy it and I have to say it is really good. I could probably go for the 84 plate at some time, but this one is giving me very fine shaves so far. I think I've only gotten one little weeper from it so that is really good.

I used to only shave evening time when I started to DE shave. I really did not have time to shave in the morning, because it would take me so long to do it. Even my wife complained that it took a long time. Over time I have gotten better and faster at shaving. Sure it is nice to take your time here and there, but for normal ordinary day shave I needed to be a bit quicker. I am a daily shaver so fewer passes means less chance of irritation. I have worked out a 2 pass with a bit of clean-up works really well for me. I do one WTG pass then one ATG pass and I tough up in areas a bit of XTG where needed. My upper lip is by far the most difficult area. I actually do four passes. WTG, XTG, XTG (other way), ATG. This seems to work well. It is reducing the whisker length each time so when the ATG pass comes there is not much left. This seems to reduce the chance for nick and weepers there for me. What I have been ending up with using this has been a consistent DFS, DFS+, BBS shaves. Plenty sufficient.

Another change I have done over time is to change to face lathering. I started out bowl lathering and while I could get some decent lather I found it a bit of a hassle. Maybe face lathering also cuts a bit of time. Weather it is a soap puck or a stick soap I will do face lathering. With pucks I just load the brush and then go to town on my face. Sticks I rub on the face and then go to town with the damp brush. I mentioned in an earlier post that I am cheap. For this reason, I most likely will not buy any artisan or more expensive soaps etc. I am a utilitarian person. I find that by doing face lathering I get more of the product on my face than if I do bowl lathering. I also build lather much quicker. I guess that my whiskers help whip up the lather on my face. My soaps of choice at this time is: 1st My homemade shave soap (I like it the best, but maybe I am partial), Arko stick (smell doesn't bother me in the least. However, my sense of smell has not been the same since I had covid. hmmm), Clubman Pinaud, Proraso Red. I do have a couple of creams that I have not tried yet and I will do so very soon. I have Palmolive Shave Cream and Lea Shave Cream. We will see how I like those.
-Boris

Last edited:
I did it again! I ordered myself another pack of 100 blades of another kind. I have liked the Dorco Prime the entire time in the RR GC 68P and I actually liked them when I tried them first in another razor I have (I do not remember which one though). I put in a order for a pack, like I need it. It was only $9.95 for a 100 pack....and there it goes. Soon I will be having as many different blades as dmshaver have for the Great Blade Exchange. Just kidding, I am not there yet. How do I control this? Any advise?

Morning shave
Blade: Clifton Classic (1)
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud
Rating: 8/10, DFS
New blade to me. Don't know much about it. It was a smooth shave, no nicks, weepers or anything. Not the closest shave, but very respectable.

I am trying to work myself through a sample pack of blades that I bought some time ago. It was like 18 different blades. I probably have been trying about 1/3 of them so far, but I will get to them. How I test the blades is that I try to use them for five shaves and see how they do. Some have gotten binned before five, but most of them have made it. Maybe I am strange, but most blades that I try are not that bad to me. YMMV is surely at play when it comes to this, but for me I seem to be very tolerant of the different blades. I have still to find a blade that I say I will never use again. Now I do have some blades left in my sample bag that could be challenging. Time will tell.

Morning shave
Blade: Clifton Classic (2)
Aftershave: VIBR
Rating: 8/10, DFS
Blade is hold up ok. Did have to polish a bit more than yesterday to get to the same level of shave. Still smooth and comfortable. We will see if the extra polishing is a sign of dulling.

My birthday is coming up in a couple of days, but I already got a birthday present. I got a bottle of Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum After shave from my daughter. Yes it is not a fancy aftershave of any kind, but that is the kind of aftershave I prefer. the scent doesn't stick with you that long with aftershaves anyways so why pay a bunch of money for that. I used it after this mornings shave and in Clubman's normal behavior, it was a nice pleasant smell and feeling. Now I have not tried the more controversial CLubman after shave like the (in)famous Veg. Maybe one day.

Talking about after shaves in general. Like I said I am a simple man and I don't put a lot of money into after shaves either. The rotation that I keep is Clubman Pinaud, AV Classic, AV Musk, Stetson Cooling Moisture and my newest member Clubman VIBR. I do have a small sample of Clubman Citrus Musk as well, but that comes with me for travel. I do use an alum block and sometimes Thayer Witch Hazel. I also have a couple of after shave balms, but I use them rarely.

Evening shave
Razor: Gillette Super Speed TTO
Blade: Clifton Classic (3)
Soap: Palmolive sensitive cream
Aftershave: VIBR
Rating: 9/10, DFS+
Blade was very nice. I did a three pass shave since I had the time. As close as your can get to a BBS.

Tried my first shave cream last night. I bought this one a while back and I had not gotten to try it out until last night. It was the Palmolive Sensitive Cream. Didn't know what to expect. I put a few dabs on my face and face lathered. It came together real easy and it was nice and slick. Shave was nice. I will definitely use it again. I have been a strict soap person. Maybe because I think it is more economical. Who knows maybe I am wrong.

I also used my vintage Gillette Super Speed TTO that I bought a while back. It was a nice shave. I did find it having a bit more blade feel than my game changer .68P. The game change does have much better blade support though.

This thread convinced me to get a GC .68 :cool:. I have and love the .84 but sometimes want something milder (like my SLOC).
Oh, and you need some BIC chrome platinum blades.
Oh yes I do! I need them.... I am happy that I can be of enabler service.
Well Done Smile GIF by Curious Pavel

Evening shave
Blade: Clifton Classic (4)
Soap: VDH
Aftershave: AV Classic
Rating: 6/10, DFS--
Blade did take a dive. Sure it is a pretty close shave, but some spots left more stubble. It was a comfortable shave though. No irritation and such. I did change my soap and I know that this soap is not as good as my others. Maybe that played a role. I am not sure. Anyways I have many other blades to try so I will bin this one.

I had a disappointment this weekend. I bought a Gillette Slim on the bay a while back for a very good price. Shipped it was $15. It was however filthy, but I was able to clean it well in my ultrasonic cleaner with some dawn and vinegar. It came out pretty good. The adjustment turned well the doors opened and closed well and it seemed to be nice and snug when closed.

I put in a blade and I closed the doors and what I noticed that the blade was clamped in unevenly. It was touching the top plate on one side but there was a gap to the top plate on the other side. This was not good. I was going to shave with it so I had to change plans and use my Gillette SuperSpeed TTO instead. I have not had the time to look more in detail about it and what is going on. Something might just be bend out of shape. I will make further updates once I take a look at it closer. If anyone has seen this and can give me some pointers of what to look for, I would be very happy.

Evening shave
Blade: Silver Star (1)
Soap: Homemade shave soap
Aftershave: Clubman Whiskey Woods
Rating: 7/10, DFS-
So I changed the blade to another one in my sample pack and this time it is the Silver Star made by Lord in Egypt. Shave was pretty good, but I have had smoother and closer. I need to try it with my RR GC 68P tonight to see if it gets closer. The Gillette SuperSpeed is a pretty new to me razor and I am not well versed on it yet.

I also for my birthday got another aftershave in the Clubman Whiskey Woods. I think of all the Clubmans I like this one probably the best. Even my wife commented on it, that she liked it. I will continue to use the others, but this is a winner. So far I have Clubman Pinaud, Clubman Citrus Musk, Clubman VIBR. Yes I have not yet the polarizing Veg and I am a bit scared to get it.

Such an interesting read!
How does your homemade soap compare to Arko?
I actually like my homemade one a bit better. I do find the slickness even better. Especially the post-slickness residual. Not sure if that makes sense, but if I need to polish a bit without adding more shaving soap I can do so easier. I also added extra glycerin to my soap and have probably a bit more superfat than the ARKO, which doesn't dry you post shave either. Furthermore I also added, albeit somewhat controversial here, a bit of bentonite clay for added slickness. If I keep everything the same, but the soap I find the shave closeness and shave quality better. Not that ARKO is bad in any way. I still like it and use it.

Top Bottom