What's new

Quest for less technology

See what you all did to me. You all should be ashamed of yourself!

1683726640929.png

Evening shave
Razor: Gillette SuperSpeed TTO
Blade: Derby Premium (4)
Soap: Homemade shave soap
Brush: unnamed synthetic brush
Aftershave: Nivea aftershave balm
Rating: 7/10,DFS+
Now that shave was almost outright rough. The roughest shave I have had in a while. Even got some razor bumps in the corner of my mouth. I'm not sure if I can make it to 7 shaves, which was my goal, with this blade if it is going to continue this way. I will give it another try tomorrow morning, but that is it. As of right now I am a bit disappointed. For me the Derby Extra was better than this.

It is interesting this YMMV stuff. It varies so much from person to person. This blade has gotten quite good reviews here compared to it's brother the Derby Extra. I happen to not mind the Derby Extra so I expected this one to big time outshine it. I may be completely wrong. I will attempt to do a 7-day shave with this blade, but if it doesn't make it I will return to it at some other time later and give it another shot. I did get two of them with my great Blade Exchange after all. I have to attempt 7 shaves with it though since I joined the 1-Week, 1-Blade group.

Like I mentioned earlier. I now have the .84-P plate for my Game Changer and a Fat tip Grande on order with ItalianBarber. Of course I had to just throw in some filler soaps to make up my $60. Do I have buyers remorse.........naah but I still blame all of this community for it. Bunch of enablers! You should be ashamed of yourself!
Super Troopers Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Why would I do that?

I didn’t tell you to buy a nickel-plated Fatip Grande; I told you I’m not “making” buy another one (or anything for that matter); and I really saw nothing wrong with the items you currently use.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I don’t deny being an enabler. I just don’t feel guilty about you buying a nickel-plated Fatip Grande.

Holding off on suggesting anything else so as to avoid guilt.

As you know, guilt cuts sharply and smoothly like Gillette’s stainless Nacet blades now on sale for $9.99/100 at Italian Barber. And it carries a scent, like the citronella, lemon, patchouli musk or whisker-softening, preternaturally slick ARKO! shaving soap. Not something that could easily be brushed away with the 28mm x 51mm extra dense Silvertip bristles or extraordinary softness of the RazoRock badger brushes.

Both Game Changers are positive exposure, the 68 just slightly and the 84 a bit more. Italian Barber says the 84 is ~0.0508mm more than .68-P plate

Some folks have taken photos that contradict this assertion, check this post from @Esox (who I think is quoting @Cal )

These are @Cal's GC bases.

View attachment 931783

View attachment 931784

With negative to neutral blade exposure, you may need to increase pressure slightly.

To me, the .84-P feels negative. Perhaps because my first razor was the Merkur 34C which is legendarily negative, I am particularly attuned to this issue. Also blade exposure is a deeply inexact science as blade widths differ, sometimes substantially in the case of KAI blades. I’m wary then, of any manufacturer making exact claims about exposure.

In any case @Bobovata is correct that you can shim any razor to increase its efficiency and exposure.

Congrats to @blethenstrom on your new goodies and I hope the incoming FaTip satisfies you as much as it has for myself, @JoWolf and others.

I don’t deny being an enabler. I just don’t feel guilty about you buying a nickel-plated Fatip Grande.

Holding off on suggesting anything else so as to avoid guilt.

As you know, guilt cuts sharply and smoothly like Gillette’s stainless Nacet blades now on sale for $9.99/100 at Italian Barber. And it carries a scent, like the citronella, lemon, patchouli musk or whisker-softening, preternaturally slick ARKO! shaving soap. Not something that could easily be brushed away with the 28mm x 51mm extra dense Silvertip bristles or extraordinary softness of the RazoRock badger brushes.
Now that was a very beautiful, shameless quip, filled with wonderful, most beneficial products that we cannot be without. Well done my good man.

Evening shave
Razor: RazoRock GC .68-P
Blade: Derby Premium (5)
Soap: Palmolive Sensitive Shaving Cream
Aftershave: AV Classic
Rating: 8/10, DFS
After the last rough shave I was being a bit more careful this time. I did not polish and try for BBS. I still ended up with a very respectable shave. This time there was no roughness so that was a big relief. I suspect that maybe I had just gotten out of hand and sloppy with my technique for it to be as rough as it was before. The blade lives another day..

I do not use my shaving cream very often. I do have a tube of Palmolive sensitive and of Lea Menthol. I have not tried the Lea cream yet. The Palmolive is a very respectable cream and it lathers super easy. The lather is also very slick and it does a good job. I guess I have never really gotten into them because the soaps lasts so much longer and maybe also because it is more "traditional". I can see the use of them though. They are certainly very quick to use. Dab some on your face and go at it with your damp brush. Easy peazy. Will I buy more once I run out? Hard to tell. It certainly would not hurt to have a tube or two on hand to mix things up once in a while.

I also have a tube of Cremo Heritage Shaving Cream. No as we know this is a non-lathering cream. Although you supposedly can get a bit of a lather by working at it with a brush. I have used this cream a few times and I don't mind it, but certainly my wife does. It seems to gunk up the sink really bad and leave a film on it. I guess it is because it is not a soap, but just suspended oils. Just thinking I can see that it could also clog my drains over time. I suspect that this goes for all those non-lathering shave creams and I probably will not invest into them. I can see the use for them as a travel shaving cream though. Especially if you are travelling super light and does not bring a brush. However, let's be frank. How often do I really think I will not be bringing a brush...not very often, if ever. My little tub of Clubman Pinaud soap or an Arko stick and I am in business.

Morning shave
Blade: Derby Premium (6)
Soap: Edge Gel
Aftershave: AV Musk
Rating: 8/10, DFS
I am on the home stretch for 7 shaves on this blade. Was a quick shave this morning and I did not feel like pulling out my brush so I used the edge gel I have. It is not great, but it works. Indeed I definitely can feel the lack of slickness with the gel, especially on the WTG pass. The shave was eventless and a decent one at that...

Well my .84-P plate for the Game Changer and the Fatip Grande should arrive on Monday. Italian Barber is fast at shipping things out. and coming from Canada it is not bad shipping time either. Maybe I can try out one of them on Monday evening. I also ordered a stick of the RR shave soap and also a stick of Lea.

I have pretty much cut over all my lathering to face lathering. I started out doing all bowl lathering and I guess I figured that by face lathering I have a bit less time and cleanup to do. However, doing it for a while I think also that I get better quality lather. I get more product on my face where it needs to be instead left in the bowl after I am done. Now I do go back to bowl lathering once in a while to experiment with lather. It is certainly easier to see and feel the lather that way. Like trying out a wet lather. This is, for me, hard to do face lathering without making an absolute mess and I do not want to upset the LOTH more than needed. I have also experimented with adding extra glycerin to shave soaps and I think that some soaps can benefit from a bit extra glycerin. Not only does it enhance the post shave feel, but also help to prevent the lather to dissipate too quickly. One example of a soap that I find the lather dissipate too quickly with is the VDH soap and by adding a bit of glycerin to the bowl while whipping up your lather will make is last longer. I am by no means an expert lather maker, but that is my take.

blethenstrom

Morning shave
Blade: Derby Premium (7)
Soap: Arko
Aftershave: Pinaud Whiskey Woods
Rating: 10/10, BBS
I certainly made it to 7 shaves with this blade. Did not think I would in the middle of the week. Very smooth and very comfortable shave. No irritation. Could definitely go more shaves.

I could have very easily have dismissed this blade earlier in the week after those rough shaves I had. I think it goes to show that we should maybe not be so quick to dismiss blades for the slightest roughness or challenge during our shave. I think it was me having a bad shave day and that made it a bad uncomfortable shave. I world have missed a great blade of I had stopped. Lesson of the week. Don't dismiss a blade to quickly.

Top Bottom