What's new

Quest for less technology

The Grande will give you excellent shaves as your technique gets more refined. When your touch gets lighter, the Grande will open a gateway to closer, deeper shaves from higher aggression razors. Enjoy the journey, repeat the mantra of "shaving with less pressure" and you'll find success.
I'm looking forward to that

Morning shave
Razor: RazoRock GC .68-P
Blade: Derby Premium (8)
Soap: Edge Gel
Brush: unnamed synthetic brush
Aftershave: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Rating: 9/10, DFS+
I decided to take this blade for another spin or two. It did not let down at all. Still very smooth and very comfortable. Quick 2-pass shave. No irritation at all.

It was a very hurried shave this morning, but none the less it was a great shave. I did decide of not pulling out a new blade yet since it was a such a hurried shave. The risk of nicking myself would have been pretty high if I did.

Talking about quick shaves. What do you do for those quick shaves? I still have a hard time to do a really fast shave even though my technique has gotten better and I have gotten faster at it. I am pretty pressed for time in the morning before heading out the door and I am doing all I can to speed it up, but it still seem to take a bit too long. How long does it take you? How many passes? I even skip the soap and brush and use gel or foam to cut even more. Maybe I have too much expectation in a minimum of a DFS shave even when short of time. I seem to still do a full 2-pass shave WTG, ATG.

quick shaves
I usually find the actual "shaving" part to require relatively little time, often no more than 15 minutes. Because of their thoroughness, some of my more aggressive razors provide faster shaves, despite needing to approach with a more deliberate/careful hand. Setup, teardown, and pre/post routines can take some time... but lots of those steps can be eliminated or reduced if necessary.

Increased familiarity with a smaller range of tools is probably the greatest way to shave more quickly. Synth brushes, making less-aerated lathers like @thombrogan who basically loads, dips into water, and paints...

skip the soap and brush
This is not the part I would skip, personally. I can make a useable lather with either my bowl or face in less than 2 minutes if I'm really pressed. The mechanical action of applying lather with a brush, breaking surface tension at the skin level and really securing that lubrication is critical to success in my shaves. Plus I find those gels and creams to be drying on my skin.

If I was going for closeness, had a sufficiently aggressive razor, and shaving on ~24hrs of stubble from a successful previous shave, I might be able to eliminate the WTG/southbound pass. But the speed of my other passes might be slower, because I'd be taking shorter strokes to ensure thorough removal...

Speed and closeness will come with experience. That experience can be gained faster if you use fewer different pieces of equipment.

I usually find the actual "shaving" part to require relatively little time, often no more than 15 minutes. Because of their thoroughness, some of my more aggressive razors provide faster shaves, despite needing to approach with a more deliberate/careful hand. Setup, teardown, and pre/post routines can take some time... but lots of those steps can be eliminated or reduced if necessary.

Increased familiarity with a smaller range of tools is probably the greatest way to shave more quickly. Synth brushes, making less-aerated lathers like @thombrogan who basically loads, dips into water, and paints...

This is not the part I would skip, personally. I can make a useable lather with either my bowl or face in less than 2 minutes if I'm really pressed. The mechanical action of applying lather with a brush, breaking surface tension at the skin level and really securing that lubrication is critical to success in my shaves. Plus I find those gels and creams to be drying on my skin.

If I was going for closeness, had a sufficiently aggressive razor, and shaving on ~24hrs of stubble from a successful previous shave, I might be able to eliminate the WTG/southbound pass. But the speed of my other passes might be slower, because I'd be taking shorter strokes to ensure thorough removal...

Speed and closeness will come with experience. That experience can be gained faster if you use fewer different pieces of equipment.
Thank you for your advise. I will certainly try out some of them

Morning shave
Blade: Derby Premium (9)
Soap: Arko
Aftershave: AV Classic
Rating: 9/10, DFS
I might try for 14 days on this blade. Very comfortable shave. No issues, no irritation.

Thank you for the advise above regarding quick shaves. I did face lather Arko this morning and I have to say it is no faster using gel or foam, than soap and brush and the shave experience is certainly much better. Also, using the GC .68-P is an easy, no brainer, razor to use so that was my choice. Furthermore, I have been used to always taking apart my 3-piece razors after each shave, but for the last few days, all I have done is to loosen it, rise and hang it on my stand and that saves a bit of time as well. I still have just also accept that DFS is good enough for me.

I admit I am the eternal BBS chaser and that has it's drawbacks not only on time, but more so that I can get places with some rawness. The alum block confirms that as well. These last couple of days, not being so particular regarding BBS the alum feedback has been almost non-existent. This may also help keeping the irritation down since I am a daily shaver. Not that I have overly sensitive skin or anything, but better post shave feel.

accept that DFS is good enough
As time goes by, this will probably change. Your technique will improve, perhaps other razors will work more effectively... Eventually you may modify your stroke patterns, blade angles, or other factors and find greater success. However, one secret to comfortable shaving is certainly "knowing when to quit."

The love for my skin must be greater than my hatred for whiskers!

As time goes by, this will probably change. Your technique will improve, perhaps other razors will work more effectively... Eventually you may modify your stroke patterns, blade angles, or other factors and find greater success. However, one secret to comfortable shaving is certainly "knowing when to quit."

The love for my skin must be greater than my hatred for whiskers!
Absolutely correct!

Evening shave
Blade: Derby Premium (10)
Soap: VDH
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud
Rating: 8/10, DFS
Evening shave with only ~14 hrs stubble. I was in no rush this time, but still for some reason it felt like it. I had a respectable shave, but it seemed like I needed more polishing than normal. Not sure if the blade is getting duller. Who knows. We will see next time.

From all the talk above it seems like maybe I can expect to achieve about a 10-15 min shave when I want to do it quickly. I also found some threads here on B&B that seems to point in the same direction. I think my path to that is just like @desertcat says above is to work on technique. I think that is key. If you can get your technique down you can optimize the number of strokes and shave (yes pun intended) off on your time.

Talking about technique. This is so vital in wet shaving. Unfortunately there are very few shortcuts besides just shaving a bunch. Yes you can help it along by mapping your face, changing the angle, finding the perfect razor/blade/soap/brush(like those exists) etc etc but there is no real substitute for putting a razor to your face and just shaving. Many are using very simple means and are getting great results. It just comes down to experience. I have not done this for very long yet so I have a lot to learn and fine tune. I can say though that my shaves now versus when I started at the beginning of the year are night and day in improvement. I have not had a weeper nor nick in quite some time and I ended up with one almost every time I shaved before. Another thing that I have also noticed is that I can get good shaves with more razors and razor blades now. I guess you become better at judging the tools and adjusting accordingly with time. For those who have been wet shaving for decades I bet it just becomes second nature and you just shave without thinking much about it.

Evening shave
Blade: Derby Premium (11)
Soap: Homemade shave soap
Aftershave: AV Musk
Rating: 9/10, DFS+
Very nice shave. Smooth and nice. Very uneventful. Very minimal alum feedback. The wheels of the train goes round and round...

Last night's shave was a very nice and relaxed one. No hurry and I could take my time. I kept my routine though for now using the same razor and familiar soap etc. I have to work in my new razors. Like I mentioned I got the Fatip Grande and the .84-P place for my Game Changer. This weekend would be a good time to test them out. I guess I could use the blade I have now to try them out. It is not a new blade, but and "old" familiar friend with 11 shaves under it's belt. I would think I will make my goal of 14 shaves on it. It is not up to Excalibur range, but still. I really have no aspirations to join that club. I think one blade, one week is ore my style and I do have a few blades that will fulfill that.

At one blade per week that means that I would only use about 52 blades per year. Goodness that means that my modest blade stash of 500 blades or so will last me close to 10 years! It also means that I don't have enough blades for my lifetime, Lord willing. I need some more blades... Now the question is: do you buy one blade that works well in bulk or do you just enjoy the different blades in smaller quantities? Just for clarification. Smaller quantities means a single 100 pack vs multiple 100 packs.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If you already like a blade, another hundred pack of the same would do. I have a tremendous fear of missing out and let me tell you: everyone will be missing out always and forever, but letting that fear keep you from enjoying the wonders already in your grasp is the worst of it.

At least that’s the inner monologue I’m hoping helps me resist the next two-five hundred blade purchase I don’t need. :)

If you already like a blade, another hundred pack of the same would do. I have a tremendous fear of missing out and let me tell you: everyone will be missing out always and forever, but letting that fear keep you from enjoying the wonders already in your grasp is the worst of it.

At least that’s the inner monologue I’m hoping helps me resist the next two-five hundred blade purchase I don’t need. :)
I think you are on to something. I think the fear of missing out is really what drives our SAD and all other rabbit holes for that matter. Of all the blades that I have do do have 200 Astra SPs, but of everything else it is just 100 packs. You are right. If I like a blade just buy a 100 pack. Don't go for the huge packs. Besides then you get some variety as well and a good rotation. Less chance of getting old and boring. I guess the only risk is that I will have 15 opened tucks of different blades, but maybe there is no harm in that. 😁

a tremendous fear of missing out
I would like to disagree, being new to this game I am doing a blade trial at the moment. The fact I have nearly 30 different blades to try isn't fear of missing out, no, it is science pure science. I am conducting perfectly valid and required testing.

So I have to disagree, I am not afraid of missing out, I am conducting testing. And the pretty colours of the tucks, it is also the pretty colours.

If I post a list of the blades I have tested and still have to come, can you let me know if there are any I have missed out on, I would hate to miss out on any blades - in my testing...

I admit I am the eternal BBS chaser
I am too, but doing a quick 2.5 pass gets me well groomed out of the bathroom in 10-15 minutes. And usually more towards 10 minutes. When I do, I do a daily shave routine from Geofatboy: N-S on face and neck, E-W/W-E on face, S-N on neck and then S-N on cheeks only. With an above average aggression razor and good sharp blade that actually works really well. I did a week or more of testing to see if it was enough to my liking. I think from here on I had a number of those shaves.
do you buy one blade that works well in bulk or do you just enjoy the different blades in smaller quantities?
I have different blades and if I try one or I but just a tuck. Once I really like a blade I buy in bulk. Most of my stock is based on about 4 type of blades and I have these in the 100’s.
letting that fear keep you from enjoying the wonders already in your grasp is the worst of it
How true Thom! You might have talked me out of getting that Short Comb I spotted yesterday. It feels like completing my New variations, but there is absolutely no need.

Cheers and enjoy!

Guido

The recent trials of @Ckmaui make some blades by Treet seem very nice. I like Loi Titanium in some razors, but they’re not keen enough for others.
I had read some of the comparisons of @Ckmaui and I do have the Treet Dura Sharp in my collection for testing, looking forward to it even more now.

I also have an order or swap going to the Great Blade Exchange, I may need to get some Loi blades.

Thank you for enabling my further blade purchases ... for scientific testing.

I would like to disagree, being new to this game I am doing a blade trial at the moment. The fact I have nearly 30 different blades to try isn't fear of missing out, no, it is science pure science. I am conducting perfectly valid and required testing.

So I have to disagree, I am not afraid of missing out, I am conducting testing. And the pretty colours of the tucks, it is also the pretty colours.

If I post a list of the blades I have tested and still have to come, can you let me know if there are any I have missed out on, I would hate to miss out on any blades - in my testing...
I have about ten blades left out of 50 blades I am trying :)
no FOMO for me either as much as just want to know what I like the best on my face with my razor
will do the same with soap to and have quite a few
while I have a bunch of soaps I want to use them for some time to really dial them in and then start comparing

but we all travel our journey in our own way and no right or wrong as long as we enjoy what we have and do is my view

been at this about 3 yrs now and enjoying the journey of many razors down to 1 but kept the best one I felt for me
my end goal is a minimal setup as I tend to just use my favorite things and as a minimalist type personality anyway

I can say trying those blades might take a while but its so worth it I feel

I had read some of the comparisons of @Ckmaui and I do have the Treet Dura Sharp in my collection for testing, looking forward to it even more now.

I also have an order or swap going to the Great Blade Exchange, I may need to get some Loi blades.

Thank you for enabling my further blade purchases ... for scientific testing.
That will be interesting to see what ya think of that Dura Sharp :)
and even if you do not like it I know I would never reply/say WHAT BUT I DO so you have to :) hahahahahah

finding some things I agree with from other folks does kinda help me think I should try this or that

one of those was a Rex Ambassador that just tore my face up no matter what if I put it past 3
but without testing I would have always wondered about it and the Lupo the same thing while many love them I can see why but they are NOT for me

even the 1.15 Wolfman would be to much for daily and found I loved the mild razors like the GC or the Timeless etc...

That will be interesting to see what ya think of that Dura Sharp :)
and even if you do not like it I know I would never reply/say WHAT BUT I DO so you have to :) hahahahahah
I love the YMMV about this hobby/lifestyle/choice. I am early in my testing but already there have been blades that are right out for me which others have loved. I don't know why, but we are all different and with so many razor/blade/soaps on the market we should be able to find something we like.

You also don't know what there is unless you try. Even early on my shaves are better and more fun than cartridge shaving and I thought that was great and I was doing the best I could. Then trying a different soap, brush and razor that I was PIF'd by @Chef455 recently I was taken to a new level. This has not made me discard everything I had before but I have pushed my technique and existing soap to get to what I got with the new ones. I didn't know how good it could be.

I am too, but doing a quick 2.5 pass gets me well groomed out of the bathroom in 10-15 minutes. And usually more towards 10 minutes. When I do, I do a daily shave routine from Geofatboy: N-S on face and neck, E-W/W-E on face, S-N on neck and then S-N on cheeks only. With an above average aggression razor and good sharp blade that actually works really well. I did a week or more of testing to see if it was enough to my liking. I think from here on I had a number of those shaves.

I have different blades and if I try one or I but just a tuck. Once I really like a blade I buy in bulk. Most of my stock is based on about 4 type of blades and I have these in the 100’s.

How true Thom! You might have talked me out of getting that Short Comb I spotted yesterday. It feels like completing my New variations, but there is absolutely no need.

Cheers and enjoy!

Guido
The 2.5 passes that your do are similar to what I do. I do a full wtg pass and then a full atg pass and then a bit of cleanup. I can get a reliable dfs and bbs with that. It all comes down to the cleanup and how much I do of that. I think that with time and technique improvements the less cleanup will be needed to achieve a satisfactory result and along with that the shave time will be reduced. I don't think that I am super slow right now but I think I will become more efficient as my experience grows. I just need time myself and see.

For me buying in a larger quantity comes down to when through my testing I find another blade that works well for me I get another 100 pack. The problem is that I find many blades that works well for me...

Top Bottom