What's new

Purpose of guide bar combs

Hi, I saw an old Merkur DE that had comb like teeth on the guide bar. What is there purpose? Will they shave like 'straight' bar razors?

Thanks for your help,
Zig

Merkur still makes open comb heads for most of their DE razors. As for purpose of the teeth, I think they serve to bring the blade in closer contact with the skin. Although the blade gap is less than with a straight bar, between the teeth the blade is completely bare. This allows for a very close shave.
That said, many guys don't seem to like an open comb Merkur. I had mixed feelings about my HD open comb as well, until I discovered feather blades.
The combo of the comb and a feather is unsurpassed IMO. BBS shaves every time. The open comb has become my favorite razor.

I enjoy the open comb razors that I have -The NEW and the TTO Aristocrat are both great shavers. I feel that the open comb allowed more lather to stay on my face, making for a more comfortable shave. Nothing to be afraid of thats for sure. I always say that I would pick my NEW if I could only have one razor.

Top Bottom