What's new

Previous Aftershaves of the Week

Now im in here as well from the gut-rasiert-forum. Hi to all.
Nice review. To be honest, i never tried the Hâtric. Strange. You get it everywhere and my bath is crowded with exotic stuff from the caribean, the US, Asia, but never tried the Hâtric.
Next buy is a German Pitralon and a Hâtric!

Now im in here as well from the gut-rasiert-forum. Hi to all.
Nice review. To be honest, i never tried the Hâtric. Strange. You get it everywhere and my bath is crowded with exotic stuff from the caribean, the US, Asia, but never tried the Hâtric.
Next buy is a German Pitralon and a Hâtric!

A very warm welcome to you!

thanks for posting!

Okay, first of all I would like to thank Josh for his kindness and generosity in mailing a sample to me...it's this kind of spirit that makes it both an honor and a pleasure to belong to the B&B community. :thumbup:

Now for my thoughts...

When I opened the vial of Hattric, my initial reaction was that it smelled similarly to Polo green. A very nice, green, masculine scent.

After shaving this morning, my aftershave routine was as follows:
-run an ice cube over my face lightly.
-splash on some Nancy Boy Balancing Facial Toner (great stuff) and let it soak in.
-splash on some Hattric.
-apply a dab of CF Lavender balm to my neck several minutes later.

There was a pretty significant burn while applying this splash. I got the sense that whatever menthol was present acted to tone down the burn from PBR-esque (volcanic) levels, rather than actually provide any serious 'cooling' sensation. The burn lasted for maybe 20-30 seconds, followed by a couple of minutes of 'warmth'. Nothing too crazy, but definitely not cooling (for me).

Hattric does not seem to be particularly nourishing to my skin, although it is not drying either. It provides just enough moisturizing that I don't feel the need for a balm (although I did add some to my neck because I got a little too close with a Feather today).

I would classify the scent as a marine fougère. Once it has been applied, it smells remarkably similar to T&H Freshman, IMO (although not quite as light). It is ferny and herbacious with a touch of citrus. A pleasant masculine scent...I can definitely see the similarity to Floid Blue, and a nod to Aqua Velva as well.

All in all, I find Hattric to be a no-nonsense, middle-of-the-road splash in terms of scent, efficacy, and healing qualities. No major faults as far as I can tell, but no single area that stands above the rest, either. If you're a fan of marine fougères in general, or the aforementioned Floid or Velva, you should definitely give Hattric a shot.

Thanks again to Josh for the sample!!! Much appreciated, much obliged. :001_smile

What a great report! thank's so much, the description is spot on after one use!

also, the entire line of La Toja products are made by the same company, Schwarzkopf & Henkel which makes Hâttric.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Welcome to the our next installment of the Aftershave of the Week. Thanks to Josh for last week's excellent segment on Hattric aftershave. :thumbup1:

This week we will look at one from the Taylor of Old Bond Street family. I picked this particular one, even though I have never used it, since I am interested in it based upon the following description of this aftershave:

"Specially formulated "Mr Taylors" after-shave is based on an idea passed down from generation to generation in the Taylor tradition. Crisp and spicy fragrance in which Tarragon, Lavender and Incense combine with hints of Green Galbanum and Citrus for an elegant manly scent and a warm, woody drydown with traces of Cedar, Sandal, Patchouli and Musk. "

My only experience with a TOBS aftershaves has been the Victorian Limes No. 74 (which I enjoy) and the St. James aftershave which I found wanting in area of moisturizing properties and was a bit drying.

However, this description has left me a little curious about this one so c'mon all you Mr. Taylors fans (or detractors), let's hear about this one. By the way, what a great, classic-looking bottle.

Our second installment of the Aftershave of the Week:

ToOBS's, Mr. Taylor's Aftershave.

proxy.php

Last edited:
This is simply a superb aftershave, i would not hesitate to recommend this fine product. I find the scent to be quite complicated but very masculine and reasonably long lasting. I found it to be moisturising leaving my skin toned and invigorated. Quite simply a superb aftershave, one which i love and save for special occasions. Get it, you will not be dissapointed :smile:.

I, too, would like to thank Josh for sending me a sample of Hattric Aftershave. RoyalKooparillo did a very thorough and accurate review, so there's not much to add.

As a frame of reference, my favorite aftershaves have a bite, a strong scent, and a cooling effect. For me the burn was not as significant and lasted all of 10 to 15 seconds, just the rigth amount of bite. I don't feel Hattric was drying, but it certainly wasn't moisturizing, nor did I expect it to be with the alcohol content. I found it to be slightly cooling; I wish it were more cooling.

I think it's strong points are a really nice scent, I agree with RoyalKooparillo's assessment, and an intangible quality that I call the refreshment factor. I got a very nice feeling after using the Hattric, pleasantly refreshing and subtly stimulating. In this sense, I consider Hattric to be a good tonic.

I do hope Hattric becomes easier to source, and I would join in on a group buy.

Thanks again Josh for your generosity.

John

Lenny, does it smell just like the SC or is it a little different?

Has anyone else tried this AS out? Just one member among us all? :confused1

Hi Prewt, yep, it does follow the basic scent of the cream but the aftershave has more and is, in my opinion, a spectacular fragrance. Very masculine yet smooth, it is my favourite by a long way and i have quite a large collection :smile:.

Is it possible to find a sample of that scent? I bought the Eton College aftershave because I love the scent of the Eton College shaving cream, but was disappointed to find that the scent is not very close.

This is simply a superb aftershave, i would not hesitate to recommend this fine product. I find the scent to be quite complicated but very masculine and reasonably long lasting. I found it to be moisturising leaving my skin toned and invigorated. Quite simply a superb aftershave, one which i love and save for special occasions. Get it, you will not be dissapointed :smile:.

this is extremely interesting to me, as i have never heard anything so complimentary towards the Taylors AS's.

by invigorated do you also mean it is mentholated?

Greetings fellow members,
Welcome to this weeks installment of Aftershave of the Week. Thanks to Bob for giving me the honor this week :blush:. i am picking one of my favorites, even though it is fairly new. I have been spreading the word about this product, to my friends, ever since I first tried it. Ladies and gentlemen, for week three in 2009, I give you..........

Wesley & Scott Clove and Peppermint ASB
proxy.php

I tried to find out as much as I could, but after a few fruitless searches, I called John at Shaving Essentials for some information. This is a little of what I found out....

Wesley & Scott is Shaving Essentials house line of Aftershave balms. They discovered a recipe that met their criteria : moisturizing, quick absorbing, non sticky and able to be scented.

The balm comes in a 4 oz. container, your choice of glass or plastic. It is offered in the following scents : Lavender, Rose, Lightly Mentholated, Orange, Lime and Clove & Peppermint. A great balm that wont hurt your wallet.

The balm is absorbed easily into the skin with no sticky or tacky feeling afterwards. It is one of the best balms I have tried, leaving my skin feeling soft and supple. I have oily skin and it doesn't clog my pores which means 0 breakouts.

The scent isn't over powering and will not clash with your chosen EDT.... but it is more complex than I thought. I have been given several different answers to the question.. " what does this smell like? " Mint and Cinnamon ", " Mint and Spice, smells wonderful ", " Mint and Cedar, can I have this?" It smells so good I wish it lasted longer.

If the scent is a B on the grading scale, ( and I think that is harsh ), the way the Clove & Peppermint ASB makes your skin feel is an A. As soon as it is absorbed, I felt a nice cooling sensation, almost like a light breeze. The balm, then changes seasons, and you feel a nice warm sensation spreading across your face. It isn't hot or a burning sensation, more like what it feels like on a spring day. You get a nice warm glow now that old man winter is gone.

You wont freeze your face with this product but if you give it a try I bet you will love it, John at SE thinks so too. I told him I was going to have a drawing for the people that had not tried Wesley & Scott ASB and the winner would get a free sample. John told me to keep my sample and do this instead...

the first ten people that e-mail John will receive a sample of Wesley & Scott ASB free! Do not PM him please! Only emais will work . email is

shavingessentials ( at ) gmail.com

only the first ten people will get a sample. ( North America only may apply. Email John for exact details )

Thank you John, for the awesome offer and thank you Bob for the opportunity to do this review.

Last edited:
John @ SE also let it be known that he will be coming out with matching shaving cream and shaving soap to match the ASB he offers.

Wow that stuff sounds amazing. And that is a very generous offer by John at SE! Just fired him an email now - I'd love to give this stuff a try. I'm just venturing into the aftershave world now and this sounds like some good stuff with a smell I'm sure I'll love (I love minty stuff!).

Thanks for the review / recommendation!

I bought this stuff when I ordered my first Merkur razor about two weeks ago. I love the Peppermint and Clove ASB, he also sent me some Oranges ASB, which while not as strong as Peppermint and Clove smells very much like oranges :D

Love the stuff! I even used some today just for the scent before walking out of the house. I may have to order some of the Limes soon to go with the Lemon and Limes shaving cream I bought.

If he plans on making a Peppermint & Clove shaving cream, he just made a shaving cream/ASB customer for life ;)

In fact, I got paid today, I think I may go check out some more ASB and see if there is any others I wanna try from his line

Last edited:
Kudos to David for letting us know more about this balm, and of course to John for creating it and making samples available to B&B bretheren! :badger:

Thanks, David! Great review, most helpful. I've been meaning to order some of this since I first saw it mentioned around December. I'm not even going to try to score a sample first, I want the whole hog!

Top Bottom