What's new

Previous Aftershaves of the Week

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
full

This thread is a collection of all the aftershave threads that were previously utilized for the Aftershave of the Week segment followed by all the comments that were made pertaining to that particular aftershave.

A quick overview thus far:

Week 1 - Skin Bracer (look right here)
Week 2 - Tabac
Week 3 - Alt-Innsbruck
Week 4 - Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Week 5 - SCS Mediterranean Citrus Splash
Week 6 - Floid Blue
Week 7 - Osage Rub
Week 8 - Musgo Real
Week 9 - DR Harris The Pink Aftershave
Week 10 - Old Spice
Week 11 - Speick
Week 12 - Proraso
Week 13 - Cade by L'Occitane
Week 14 - St. James by TOBS
Week 15 - Swiss Pitralon
Week 16 - Pinaud Bay Rum

Review 1 - Hattric
Review 2 - TOBS' Mr. Taylors
Review 3 - Wesley & Scott Clove & Peppermint

WEEK I - SKIN BRACER

Welcome to the very first installment of the Aftershave of the Week. Every week we will focus on a different aftershave and those of you that have participated can post your thoughts and impressions of each selected aftershave product.

As many of you know (and you know who you are) there are many members here at B&B who like to gather, garnish, collect and horde :)wink:) aftershaves.

Personally, I have a lazy susan in my shave closet, atop of which lay several dozen bottles of aftershaves. Next to the lazy susan are a row of over-sized aftershave bottles known as "aftershave row" :rolleyes:.

Now, the use of aftershave comes along just after the shave. :001_huh: Or does it? Mine comes along after the WWR, CWS and then the Thayers. But the name afterwwrcwsthayers just doesn't work. So aftershave it is. :biggrin:

The aftershave range will be divided into 3 groups.

Group A which will be aftershave that can be considered drugstore classic;

Group B which could be considered mid-level aftershaves and finally;

Group C, which could be considered top-shelf aftershaves.

This determination was made by cost alone and not by personal preference i.e.

Group A: under $10;

Group B: $25 or less and finally;

Group C: $26 and above.

Each week a new aftershave will be selected from a different group.

This segment is not so much a stringent review segment as much as it is a general discussion as to why we like (or dislike) a particular aftershave. Nothing fancy. The content should be a little more involved then "loved it" or "hated it" type of discussion or :)thumbdown :thumbsup:). Just a couple of words indicating what you think of the product so that members can get the "skinny" on these aftershaves.

This week, let's start off simple and have a little fun with an old drugstore classic from Group A.

Drugstore Classic

This week we will focus on Mennen Skin Bracer Original or Skin Bracer Cooling Blue. If you have it in your shave locker, use it for a couple of days and add your comments below. If you don't have it, it is easily obtainable for between $3 to $5 dollars at your local supermarket or drugstore. After you have given it a couple of go-arounds, post your thoughts. Let's keep it informative and let's keep it fun.

full

or

full

If you have any suggestions on an aftershave to be used as an "aftershave of the week", put a post in the suggestion box (sticky) in this forum. :smile:

So let's kick-off The Aftershave of the Week !

Last edited by a moderator:
For the past few months I've been looking in every drugstore and grocery I enter, and have yet to stumble across a bottle of this stuff! I'll keep looking though.. :smile: (I do have the green though)

Ah, ok.. cool. I'll give it a few days and will report my findings. So far I like the green on the days I've used it. It's one of those classics that has always been around, but I don't think I've ever actually bought it before. I think another interesting aspect guys might want to mention is what colognes or EDT's they use with each A/S. Some aftershaves and colognes go better together than others..

I've seen it around here, but I unfortunately don't have any and doubt I'll be picking any up in the near future due to *gasp* trying to save $$$. $3.00, I know, but...I've even gone as far as *another gasp* downgrading our cable TV. :frown:

Well, when the AV products roll into town, I'll be all over this though. I'm also an AS hoarder aficionado. :biggrin:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
What are you guys talking about? :wink:

We are doing Skin Bracer Original this week. :lol:

Hey, I can take a hint. :biggrin:

used to use Skin Bracer, after all Jack Palance endorsed it...
haven't used it in awhile because I went for a long time foregoing AS until I started DE and enjoying it
however, I will continue to kick myself for throwing away that glass bottle when I finished it

I really like this one. Scent is not too strong and fades fast. One of my gripes on AV is the strong long lasting scent. Skin Bracer is fairly cooling, but not icy unfortunatly. I use it only on my neck where it does what it is supposed to do, which is calm irritated skin.

Had no idea there was a cooling blue. I must have it.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Let's make it easier. Use whichever one you have. Skin Bracer Original or Skin Bracer Cooling Blue.

I used the Cooling Blue this morning. It has a nice fresh fragrance and is certainly cooling, but no where near the cooling effect of an Aqua Velva. It is a nice, inexpensive aftershave. If you are apt to use a balm, it wouldn't hurt to use a balm after this aftershave as I found it somewhat drying.

For me, as with all drugstore classics, they are great to wear on a care-free Saturday afternoon if you are doing yard work, going to the kids' games, etc.

Also great for those quick getaway weekends when you just want to throw something in your Dopp kit to take along.

When I was younger my stepdad gave me a 4-pack of Mennen AS for xmas one year. I don't remember them all but the menthol green was included and a Musk as well. Wonder if they still make that? Anyway the original green is ok in terms of cool and refreshment. Maybe a bit too minty in smell for me. I have no strong opinion one way or another, but I don't currently keep any in rotation. I just think AV does the same thing better.

btw, I was in W. Mart the other day and saw a new (for me) AS by Adidas. Pulse I think it was called. Gave it a quick test smell and seemed ok. Not too sweet or overpowering. Anyway let's keep this one in mind for a future under $10 review. I'd be interested in results.

I'd be interested in a run down of the ingredients in each aftershave... for instance, I know AV has alcohol, menthol, and glycerin. I assume stuff like Brut and Old Spice is just alcohol and fragrance. Joel's review of Spieck revealed a whole list of goodies and their benefits...

Have used the green bottle Mennen's Skin Bracer for more years than I can remember. Still love the great scent and refreshing, clean feel. Have tried many other AS's and Colognes but haven't found anything that's better IMHO.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I'd be interested in a run down of the ingredients in each aftershave... for instance, I know AV has alcohol, menthol, and glycerin. I assume stuff like Brut and Old Spice is just alcohol and fragrance. Joel's review of Spieck revealed a whole list of goodies and their benefits...

Here ya go:

Skin Bracer Cooling Blue

Water
SD Alcohol 40
Propylene Glycol
Fragrance
PEG-60
Hydrogenated Castor Oil
Benzoic Acid
Menthol Ext.
D&C Violet 2
FD&C Blue 1

After the cooling of the menthol wears off, usually 1 or 2 minutes the scent of the menthol goes with it. It definiately smells different on the skin than it does in the bottle. I almost didn't buy it after opening the bottle in the store, but some splashed out on me and after 2 minutes I put the bottle back in my cart. It leaves my skin feeling refreshed, but it will sting(burn) razor burned skin for what feels like an eternity. I used it today and I can still catch whiffs of it after 6 hours, one of the reasons I like it so much. I will always have a bottle of it around.

Here ya go:

Skin Bracer Cooling Blue

Water
SD Alcohol 40
Propylene Glycol
Fragrance
PEG-60
Hydrogenated Castor Oil
Benzoic Acid
Menthol Ext.
D&C Violet 2
FD&C Blue 1

If somebody could throw up the list for Original Skin Bracer too that would be great. I'm working on a little A/S Splash research project for future posting. Thanks.

Skin Bracer is one of the major aftershaves I don't believe I've ever purchased. I finally broke down a few months back. I have to say that I'm very impressed and will probably keep some in my rotation for years to come. It provides a nice counter-balance to Aqua Velva, as it seems to compliment some of my other scents that don't really go along with AV. For instance, I've found that Skin Bracer goes well with Vetiver, as I'd describe both scents as somewhat sweet.

Performance-wise, it works as well for me as AV Ice Blue. Since I don't normally have any razor burn, I don't get any aftershave "burn" from either AV or SC. They both are nicely cooling. The main difference I notice between the two is that Skin Bracer doesn't leave as much residue on my face as AV Ice Blue does. I don't know if that has to do with alcohol content or what. It's just that when I use AV Ice Blue, there's more of a hang time, kind of like a friend that stays with you all day.

As I said above, I'm surprised I never gave it a try before. The scent, while not amazing, it's decent enough for regular use. I've always considerd the scent sort of woodsy, but there's a definite sweet/spice note there too. It can be overpowering, but if you're judicious about application, it shouldn't announce itself to those in your immediate area. Definately "wear with care" (I have found that a quick Cold Water Splash a minute or so after applying really calms down the scent..)

-Mason

Top Bottom