What's new

Post your DIY razor/brush stand or shelf

Made this a couple of years ago. It is a laminate floor sample from Lowe’s which I cut the tongue and grooves off of and painted the sides black. The rack part is 1/8” brass rod bent to hold the brush and razor.

40A05929-AB26-43B4-9F9C-EDC572080A43.jpeg

This is a second stand arrangement I use. I do not need to get my plastic salsa bowl out of a drawer because it is already on top of the vanity, and my welded steel stand does not suffer exposure to water that causes rusting. This arrangement is very compact, and very practical. The support for the razor and the brush is welded from 1/8” steel rod.

Attachments

• C13EB250-B256-4B83-93F9-3C2F0A59C104.jpeg
    C13EB250-B256-4B83-93F9-3C2F0A59C104.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 17
  • BD8C0D9E-A75F-4F32-8C50-9CECB3255043.jpeg
    BD8C0D9E-A75F-4F32-8C50-9CECB3255043.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 17

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is a second stand arrangement I use. I do not need to get my plastic salsa bowl out of a drawer because it is already on top of the vanity, and my welded steel stand does not suffer exposure to water that causes rusting. This arrangement is very compact, and very practical. The support for the razor and the brush is welded from 1/8” steel rod.
Very cool.

Hey gents, I would like to craft out a wood stand in the style of the classic stand. The question is, how do I carve out a U shape at the edge of the plank? My dad only hase some huge saws in the garage. I need like 1cm diamater for the razor and 3-4cm for the brush. Which tool should I get to get the job done?

Hey gents, I would like to craft out a wood stand in the style of the classic stand. The question is, how do I carve out a U shape at the edge of the plank? My dad only hase some huge saws in the garage. I need like 1cm diamater for the razor and 3-4cm for the brush. Which tool should I get to get the job done?
I’d probably get a hole saw 3-4 cm in diameter drill the hole where the brush will live, and then use a table saw or jigsaw to extend the hole to the end of the U.

I’d probably get a hole saw 3-4 cm in diameter drill the hole where the brush will live, and then use a table saw or jigsaw to extend the hole to the end of the U.
Thanks! Well, as I don't want this project to cost me more then a few dollars, I don't think I will be buying new equipment and I don't have any of that. I was thinking of using a large drill bit, drill holes around the shape that I want and then file it down and smooth it with some sandpaper.

Thanks! Well, as I don't want this project to cost me more then a few dollars, I don't think I will be buying new equipment and I don't have any of that. I was thinking of using a large drill bit, drill holes around the shape that I want and then file it down and smooth it with some sandpaper.
@LMcC nailed it. Easiest way to make the holes. There are inexpensive (less than $10) drill bit hole saw sets that include several sizes. They allow you to cut precise holes up to a couple inches in diameter using any drill. Amazon, eBay, Harbor Freight ($8.99), etc.

Select a piece of wood for the horizontal arm a couple of inches longer than needed. Drill the holes near the ends of the arm, then cut the ends off to open the holes. Sand off the edges, stain or put on some linseed oil.

Be sure to post pics!

Last edited:
That will work. Hole saws are cheap, but I totally get just making what you can with what you have. Best of luck with your project!

Yup, the whole thing is supposed to be no investment other than my time, thank you for your nice words! I love making usefull stuff from something I already have and I would love to make this stand without even buying a plank of wood - just use something lying around ready to be thrown out. I know the hole saw is cheap and it will serve me for years to come and so would any other tool which I can buy. I just don't want to be spending money on something I may use once or twice - even those 10 bucks, for which I could just by stainless steel/aluminum stand.

Top Bottom