What's new

Polishing out scuffs?

Looks like there are some scuffs at the top of this brush. Could I use anything to buff them out? Putting in new knots and sanding off old paint off of wood is one thing, but I've never tried to polish plastic or resin...

$brush.jpg

Might not be worth it...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sure, though if they are deep, you might want to start with some ultra-fine sandpaper (800+) to cut down on the elbow grease necessary to polish. It's not as hard as it seems.

People use lots of different metal polishes: Maas, Flitz, Simichrome, Brasso. I use Flitz.

I've used headlight lens restorer from the autoparts store too, but it seems to not quite get things as smooth. Plastic polish should work too.

One trip to Home Despot or Lowes would do it for Brasso and plastic polish, but you won't find finer grit paper there beyond 400 (not round here anyway.)

Autoparts store may have finer grit paper, and will have aluminum, chrome and headlight polishes. Other people will have to advise you on those as I have never tried them.

I use the products designed for detailing the finish on a car, they come in a variety of aggressiveness, from heavy duty rubbing compounds to high gloss polishes.
These product are available at auto paint store and they also carry ultra fine emery paper 1000 to 2000+ grit.

A fine wet and dry paper and then a gentle polish with nevr dull wadding has worked for me on bug splat/dents on acryllic screens.

Thanks so much! I'll have to bookmark this page for reference... EXACTLY what I needed to know.

Bill

Top Bottom