What's new

Yukio Kamijo 6/8 Restoration

Yukio Kamijo was a well known Japanese blacksmith in the early/middle part of the 20th century. He was known for his top tier razors and teaching Iwasaki everything he knew about razor forging and grinding. Razors from this renowned smith are hard to find in any condition.

This particular razor is a quarter grind 6/8, and came with too much hone wear for my preference. I personally don’t mind regrinding an old razor, as long as it is done gently and as little material is taken off as possible. Though someone else had done some sanding on the blade, I felt the grind needed some more corrective work, so I reground it using sandpaper wrapped around a wheel - sanding it by hand, no power. This limited the amount of material I could take off, and eliminated any chance of catastrophe. I took it from 80 up to 2000 grit and finished with mothers mag polish.

This razor does have a hamon, which is a visible trait that indicates it was differentially hardened. It is seen as a dynamic cloud across the face of the blade, and judging by the ‘wispiness’ or activity in the hamon this is a shallow hardening, really simple steel. I can’t confirm that it’s tamahagane, but I would bet it’s in that range. The current pics are after some gentle etching to bring out the hamon, followed by more mothers mag polish. Seeing the half-moon part of the hamon closest to the tang, this blade looks like it was vertically quenched. I'm not sure the hamon in the center of the grind was intentional, meaning I don't think Kamijo applied a heavier clay there to create a hamon in the traditional sense. Sometimes these so called auto-hamons can appear on their own simply because the steel is so pure and 'shallow hardening', and the grain so refined, that when the center of the blade cools down a little slower than the edge and spine during the quench it creates a different structure in the steel there. This is a testament to Kamijo's skill as a smith and the quality of steel in the razor.

I still have the original faux ivory scales, but if there is even the slightest chance that they could off gas then I’d rather leave them off. They’re not the greatest looking scales either :/ What I’m currently thinking is transparent acrylic in either clear, light smokey grey, dark smokey grey, or diffuse white, with a silver, uchigumori, or ohira shiro suita wedge. If anyone has any opinions on new scale material I would love to hear them.

Kamijo 2.jpeg
Kamijo 1.jpeg
Kamijo 3.jpeg
Kamijo 4.jpeg
tempImageVtcGRk.png
tempImageQGMqil.png
tempImagey7O2Pw.png
tempImageN6hy3v.png

Check out the grain in the steel in the brighter parts of the hamon:
tempImage2KJuYy.png
tempImageeRoe9i.png

Normally I wouldn't suggest it for a vintage Japanese blade, because it's not really stylistically appropriate, but ivory would look good on that one if you had a sacrificial razor with good scales.

Otherwise I've always the yellow Awabi that Masecraft sells would be classy and not too far from the original, aesthetically.

Very nice Yukio Kamijo, yours looks more refined and less like the hand-forged Yukio Kamijo I have seen, I have come across a few through the years, and my good friend in Japan has sold a few, all western-style Iwasaki razors also have a hamon if you wish to bring it out after heat treatment using ferric chloride acid.

Last edited:
Normally I wouldn't suggest it for a vintage Japanese blade, because it's not really stylistically appropriate, but ivory would look good on that one if you had a sacrificial razor with good scales.

Otherwise I've always the yellow Awabi that Masecraft sells would be classy and not too far from the original, aesthetically.
I think ivory would look the best honestly, but that awabi doesn't look too bad, albeit a little pricey. I do also like the look of abalone, particularly rusty red and pale.

Simpler acrylic scales would move the focus to the hamon which was my original intention, but slightly fancier scales are nice too.

That's a neat one, love the hand forged mark at the tip. Those markings look to be hand chiseled? One side says 'made by Kamijo', but what does the other side say?
The text is hand-engraved, not steel-stamped.
I guess it was changed to steel-stamping in later production due to his advanced age.

I think ivory would look the best honestly
What's the measurement between the pins on the original scales? I have an old frameback that the scales might be just big enough. The ivory has a subtle figure that might really complement the hamon. Happy to give it to you if you think it might work. I measure dead-on 4 3/4" between the pins (center to center)
20240203_085842.jpg

Last edited:
What's the measurement between the pins on the original scales? I have an old frameback that the scales might be just big enough. The ivory has a subtle figure that might really complement the hamon. Happy to give it to you if you think it might work. I measure dead-on 4 3/4" between the pins (center to center)
View attachment 1790357
What an incredible offer, thank you! That would be ideal if it fits - I’ll take some measurements later today.

View attachment 1790357
It must be my lucky day, I’ve got just enough space for those scales. I’ll be DM’ing you, many thanks!

I've decided that something synthetic is probably the better option, and I'm leaning towards either a neutral tone acrylic or a pale colored abalone. Still open to any suggestions though.

Congrats on a tastefully done refurb. That took a light touch to be done right. It’s easy to overdo the sanding but less is almost always more in that regard.

Perhaps the dark smokey grey acrylic for the scales. Hard to say by pic alone. Definitely not clear to my eye.

Top Bottom