What's new

Polishing DE Razors With a Dremel (howto)

What is the polish you are using? I need to know a good one for a few of mine.

FWIW, I seem to have read somewhere that the lacquer wasn't applied on earlier razors? Can anyone confirm this, maybe name a year or even an era when the change occurred (IIRC, they said plated had the lacquer, where earlier razors were not plated but gold filled?).

It is called Weiman Royal Sterling. I got it at Target. It was the only polish that did not have a warning about lacquered surfaces. Weiman makes another one that does warn against using it on lacquered surfaces, but this one does not.

Here is what it looks like:

Your New Standard would have likely been gold plated originally. They made them in both silver plated and gold plated versions. From the picture, it's kind of hard to tell whether some or even all of the plating might be worn off. Under the gold plating on these razors, they were brass, so you may have some brass showing or its possible that even all the gold may be long gone. When they are polished up, brass razors look very nice and, like I said, kind of hard to tell from gold except they do eventually get dull with tarnish.

In any event you've got a nice looking New Standard. I have a silver plated one just like it that was a high school graduation present to my father from his parents. It is the one razor in my collection that I wouldn't consider selling.

Regards,
Tom

Top Bottom