What's new

Podasts-Can Someone Help Me Out?

Good morning gents. Over the last five to ten years, I have become completely disdainful of FM "music radio". I would more likely call it "FM advertisements with an occasional song thrown in radio". Broadcast music radio is just horrid to me. I don't even listen to the local classic country station anymore because it is really just classic top ten hits from yesteryear radio. There was a plethora of style of country available just a few decades ago. Cosmopolitan, blue grass revival, regular old beer swilling honkytonk, etc. Then came the Urban Cowboy craze of the seventies. Yuck. A very nice "new traditionalist" movement took over the eighties and then Garth Brooks landed on all our heads. Country now is simply the top forty of yesteryear/late seventies. Okay, beyond that I have taken a real liking to classical music though I know nothing of its structure or styles. I REALLY like Celtic music of all sorts. Trad Irish being a real favourite. Music made to put a spring in your heel as they say. This brings me to the topic of the post. Try finding this stuff on a radio broadcast! Not around Kansas City you won't. And we even have a HUGE Irish following around here. K.C. has the third largest St. Patty's day parade, the Irish Heritage Museum, and a great local Celtic Rock band called The Elders. Other than Fiona Ritchie's Thistle and Shamrock once in a while on public radio there is not much. I gather this is a common problem all over the country.

I also get the whole generational thing. I hated watching the Lawrence Welk show growing up but my parents tuned in every Saturday night. None of us listened to classical music AT ALL, and when younger I couldn't stand honkytonk. And in kind, my Dad hated David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, and Duran Duran. And don't laugh at that last one. Those guys were cool. I don't care what you say. Besides, Hungry Like the Wolf was one of the best videos ever.:blushing: I am now 46 so I get it that you change your tastes as you age. I also discovered Pandora internet radio last year. What a Godsend. Trouble is, no internet in my vehicle just like almost everyone else. I do however have a usb port on my car stereo and I listen to my CD rips mostly.

Then I started thinking about podcasts and how they may be a great option for listening in the car on a flash drive. I know you can get a podcast of just about anything on the net but I don't really know how you go about looking for the content you want or just to try out. I have done some primary searching of the web and have a rudimentary understanding of what they are. I just don't understand how to wade through the plethora of available content. I downloaded "Juice" which seems to be common choice of podcast fans. From what I gather, it is focused primarily on handling podcasts and that is fine with me. Is there another application I should be looking at? Can someone suggest an online tutorial? Thanks and sorry to be so long but our local radio just plain sucks. And satellite radio is not an option either. Not at their new prices and mangled playlists.

Regards ,Todd

Top Bottom