What's new

Pocket Pistol

I say this as someone with a Keltec P3AT: Buy one of the small single stack 9mm pistols. The best .380 load on the market only expands about 50% of the time, and IIRC, was tested through one of the larger .380 handguns...something along the lines of a Browning BDA. The 9 is cheaper to shoot, has a wider selection of good quality ammo, and some of the guns are only marginally larger than the P3AT/LCP.

If you're going to lean toward a wheelgun, I'd say just buy an airweight .38 Special and be done with it. The magnum version is, IMHO, a waste of money. I can't imagine one of them being at all comfortable to practice with using true .357 magnum loads(the 110 grain stuff is NOT full power), and I'm of the opinion that one should practice with what they carry.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I say this as someone with a Keltec P3AT: Buy one of the small single stack 9mm pistols. The best .380 load on the market only expands about 50% of the time, and IIRC, was tested through one of the larger .380 handguns...something along the lines of a Browning BDA. The 9 is cheaper to shoot, has a wider selection of good quality ammo, and some of the guns are only marginally larger than the P3AT/LCP.

If you're going to lean toward a wheelgun, I'd say just buy an airweight .38 Special and be done with it. The magnum version is, IMHO, a waste of money. I can't imagine one of them being at all comfortable to practice with using true .357 magnum loads(the 110 grain stuff is NOT full power), and I'm of the opinion that one should practice with what they carry.

That about says it all, unless you want to get into caliber wars. I do think the .357 DOES NOT belong in a small framed, light weight revolver. K frame at the least. .38 +P is enough in an airweight.

Not much wrong with a .380 now though, but 9mm is better. Depends on what you like and what fits your needs. Although I do sometimes carry Dad's old German Ortgies .32 that he brought back as a war souvenir. It's loaded with hardball though instead of hollow-points.

And I hate photobucket. I need to take a new pic. that they don't have their tag on trying to get people to come back to them.

proxy.php

Last edited:

I think that is what I said yesterday in my post #40 about the Sig P938 vs the P238, not enough difference in size to be even a minor problem. I use the sam holster for both.

That about says it all, unless you want to get into caliber wars. I do think the .357 DOES NOT belong in a small framed, light weight revolver. K frame at the least. .38 +P is enough in an airweight.

I totally agree, having one of the S&W 342ti lite, the scandium/titanium hammerless DAO. It's basically a super lightweight j frame. I just did some looking and find weights vary as low as 10.8oz empty depending on grips installed. I hurts to shoot with +p 38 spc and standard is very uncomfortable. It's not one you want to go out and practice with. Physical dimensions are a little larger than my Sig P938 making it harder to conceal. The Sig gives me the advantage of 7 shots vs 5.

If I were to carry a revolver again, I would probably try one of the aluminum framed J frames, the extra weight really tames one of those little guns. My wife has a all stainless model, with hammer(cannot remember model #) and that extra weight makes a world of difference in shooting comfort. She can handle it with standard 38 loads, even with rather bad arthritis, and there is no way I can get her to shoot the 342ti

Not only aren't they comfortable to practice with, they're downright painful!

60D04DA8-6391-46AA-8650-FD2A7AC17FB9.jpeg
A5581FC4-3F86-4054-8025-9F599A892189.jpeg
For a revolver that is actually easy to shoot and easy on the hand, even with +P rounds, the Colt Cobra is surely worth looking at.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The Taurus Poly Protector shoots respectable with .357 Mag but still hurts after 5 shots. I love it with .38 special plus P though.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I totally agree, having one of the S&W 342ti lite, the scandium/titanium hammerless DAO. It's basically a super lightweight j frame. I just did some looking and find weights vary as low as 10.8oz empty depending on grips installed. I hurts to shoot with +p 38 spc and standard is very uncomfortable. It's not one you want to go out and practice with. Physical dimensions are a little larger than my Sig P938 making it harder to conceal. The Sig gives me the advantage of 7 shots vs 5.

If I were to carry a revolver again, I would probably try one of the aluminum framed J frames, the extra weight really tames one of those little guns. My wife has a all stainless model, with hammer(cannot remember model #) and that extra weight makes a world of difference in shooting comfort. She can handle it with standard 38 loads, even with rather bad arthritis, and there is no way I can get her to shoot the 342ti

10.8 oz? That would hurt. My vintage Colt Cobra, made with Coltalloy for the frame, weighs 15 oz. and it's a pain to shoot with just regular pressure 38s. Well, the Remington and such are not too bad, but you sure notice a difference with the Buffalo Bore standard pressure ones. For standard pressure the BB ones sure have a lot more bark and bite.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
One modern snubby that has surprised me being light and relatively forgiving is the Charter Arms basic Undercover. It's under a pound loaded but much more comfortable than the modern S&W Airweight.

proxy.php

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The Taurus Poly Protector shoots respectable with .357 Mag but still hurts after 5 shots. I love it with .38 special plus P though.
I'm still trying to smooth out the mold lines on my Protector Poly but once I get that solved I think it will do nicely.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
One modern snubby that has surprised me being light and relatively forgiving is the Charter Arms basic Undercover. It's under a pound loaded but much more comfortable than the modern S&W Airweight.

proxy.php

Oh that's nice. I've been really, really looking at the Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog...the original kind with the 3" barrel and wood grips. I just wonder how a .44 Special would handle in a 20oz. handgun.

I notice that you have the factory rubber grips on it. I have some Pachmayr Compacs for the Cobra and they work very well...better than the factory Colt grips with a Tyler-T grip, but I just feel that rubber grips don't belong on a vintage. While poking around for a Charter Arms .44 I saw they are now producing the older style 3" barreled one again. They aren't that expensive, and good guns. Been around for awhile.

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Oh that's nice. I've been really, really looking at the Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog...the original kind with the 3" barrel and wood grips. I just wonder how a .44 Special would handle in a 20oz. handgun.

I notice that you have the factory rubber grips on it. I have some Pachmayr Compacs for the Cobra and they work very well...better than the factory Colt grips with a Tyler-T grip, but I just feel that rubber grips don't belong on a vintage. While poking around for a Charter Arms .44 I saw they are now producing the older style 3" barreled one again. They aren't that expensive, and good guns. Been around for awhile.

I have a half dozen or so pistols that I just don't enjoy as much as the others, some actually pretty nice, and once I get around to selling them I might be tempted by the Charter Arms Pitbull in 45acp or 9mm. I do shoot lots of 45 acp but almost all in my revolvers so the 45 Dan Wesson may well go to a new playground and a Pitbull take its place. And the rest of the pistols I don't shoot are 9mm so a Pitbull that I would carry and shoot makes some sense.

10.8 oz? That would hurt. My vintage Colt Cobra, made with Coltalloy for the frame, weighs 15 oz. and it's a pain to shoot with just regular pressure 38s. Well, the Remington and such are not too bad, but you sure notice a difference with the Buffalo Bore standard pressure ones. For standard pressure the BB ones sure have a lot more bark and bite.

10.8oz empty is correct. The frame is a scandium alloy, cylinder is titanium. The only steel parts are the internal workings and screws. The barrel is mostly one of those ultralightweight alloys with a thin stainless liner. That makes it 4.2 oz lighter than your Cobra, that's a bit over 1/4 lb and yes it hurts with regular 38 ammo. Plus P is something else. They currently list a model 329PD, 44 mag with the scandium frame titanium cylinder weighing in at 25.2 oz, and a model 360. .357 mag scandium frame but this one with an unfluted steel cylinder, weighing in at 14.9oz. Methinks all those mean instant pain.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
10.8oz empty is correct. The frame is a scandium alloy, cylinder is titanium. The only steel parts are the internal workings and screws. The barrel is mostly one of those ultralightweight alloys with a thin stainless liner. That makes it 4.2 oz lighter than your Cobra, that's a bit over 1/4 lb and yes it hurts with regular 38 ammo. Plus P is something else. They currently list a model 329PD, 44 mag with the scandium frame titanium cylinder weighing in at 25.2 oz, and a model 360. .357 mag scandium frame but this one with an unfluted steel cylinder, weighing in at 14.9oz. Methinks all those mean instant pain.

Who the heck thought up a .44 mag. in a 25 oz. gun? I guess they just...lost their mind for advertising purposes. Just because you can do it don't mean you should.

Last edited:

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Who the heck thought up a .44 mag. in a 25 oz. gun? I guess they just...lost their mind for advertising purposes. Just because you can do it don't mean you should.

Pack guns. For Griz country.

Of course like the original 29s, you will be able to buy them used with 'a nearly full box of ammo' once the purchaser actually shoots one and gets back from their trip up North!

Top Bottom