What's new

Pocket Pistol

After trying a lot of small guns, I decided I didn't really care for the micro guns. I prefer the compact guns like the Ruger LC9 (or similar size). I fell in love with the Kimber Solo. I heard of the issues with the Solo, but this one has been a great gun (as long as you use the right ammo). At that time, I asked him to sell it to me and he was interested in selling. He finally decided to sell it to me. I get it the day after Christmas and can't wait!!!!!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
After trying a lot of small guns, I decided I didn't really care for the micro guns. I prefer the compact guns like the Ruger LC9 (or similar size). I fell in love with the Kimber Solo. I heard of the issues with the Solo, but this one has been a great gun (as long as you use the right ammo). At that time, I asked him to sell it to me and he was interested in selling. He finally decided to sell it to me. I get it the day after Christmas and can't wait!!!!!

See, I would consider the Solo as a "micro gun" It doesn't seem as tall as an LC9 and not as wide as a G26, or Shield or XD. To me, the Solo, seems very similar in comparison to the:

Sig P365
Glock 43
Sig 938
Kahr CM9
Kimber Solo

They can be considered sub-compacts, but they are much smaller than these, that are also considered sub-compacts:

Shield
LC9
XD
G26
CZ 2075 RAMI
Walther PPS
HK VP9sk
FNS 9C
Taurus G2

Which in my opinion, can be defined as "micro compact" A .380 can be considered to be a micro handgun, but I'm strictly thinking 9mm here; and I feel the Solo is much smaller then others on my second list?

The Solo and its contemporaries are small to me, but now "micro" or "sub-compact". The Solo is about the same size as the LC9s, but larger than the LCP line of pistols. For me, the Solo and the LC9 fill my hand better than the LCP. That's why I consider the Solo a compact and a gun like the LCP a sub-compact.

Got my Kimber Solo
proxy.php

Everything on this gun is super tight. All of the springs (including the magazine spring). It is a gorgeous gun that oozes build quality. I field stripped, cleaned, and lubed it up, but it will be the weekend before I can make it to the range. It is the perfect size for pocket carry.

Right now I'm finding that charging the turn with six rounds in the magazine is rough. With only 5 it works fine. With 6, I have to release the slide with the slide lock. Researching has found that other folks solved this issue (and other feeding issues) by polishing the feed ramp. If I have problems cycling, I'll go ahead and do that. Right now I just want to shoot the gun first (after all, I may have no issues at all). The previous owner (who I know) has had no issues with it at the range. He just shoots the recommended bullet weight and has fun with it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Right now I'm finding that charging the turn with six rounds in the magazine is rough. With only 5 it works fine. With 6, I have to release the slide with the slide lock. Researching has found that other folks solved this issue (and other feeding issues) by polishing the feed ramp. If I have problems cycling, I'll go ahead and do that. Right now I just want to shoot the gun first (after all, I may have no issues at all). The previous owner (who I know) has had no issues with it at the range. He just shoots the recommended bullet weight and has fun with it.
Excellent post, my friend.

Feed a gun what it likes, duh, especially if you like the gun.

On a similar note, I have a Romanian training rifle, .22 caliber, and the original magazine cycled fine with 4 rounds instead of 5. The new Taiwanese ones I purchased have no issues with 5 rounds. And that gun with open sites makes me look like a sniper, lol. And it is ugly as original sin, but I love it.

Right now I'm banking on the fact that the gun just needs a little TLC. When I field stripped it, it was bone dry, so I lubed all of the factory recommended points and reassembled. Now I'm on the hunt for holsters. My first one will be a pocket holster since the primary carry method will be in a pocket. I have seen some nice kydex ones, but I have to admit to being a real fan of leather.

OkieStubble

Right now I'm banking on the fact that the gun just needs a little TLC. When I field stripped it, it was bone dry, so I lubed all of the factory recommended points and reassembled. Now I'm on the hunt for holsters. My first one will be a pocket holster since the primary carry method will be in a pocket. I have seen some nice kydex ones, but I have to admit to being a real fan of leather.

You need some exotic leather for that nice Solo. :) That Solo would look awesome in a lizard skin pocket holster.

OkieStubble

Stop walking through my wallet!!! Those ideas are going to cost me money. Somehow I just don't see Kimbers as exotic.

Lol’d. . Most Kimbers don’t seem exotic to me either, but the Solo does. Are the black grip Panels on it plastic?

If they are, I’d be looking for some nice Ebony or Water Buffalo if it was mine.

Lol’d. Man I love this forum...

The grips are horrible. Plastic and slick and no front strap checkering. I'm going to order some vz grips and put some front strap tape. I can imagine this thing being hard to keep hold of the way it is.

Yeah, but I was just looking at an option called Talon Grips They are a rubber wraparound that would give me traction on both the front and back straps.

Top Bottom