What's new

Pistol Options?

Ideas... The grease nay be an isse.
I think I would phone the manufacturer before doing any polishing because it is new. I would not want to risk giving then an excuse not to fix you up.

I would try a few hundred rounds first. Remove the grease in case that is slowing down the slide. Bring some oil to the range. You can try oiling the nose of the first bullet in each magazine you shoot, not likely to help, bit no harm to trying in case you are hanging up on the feed ramp. You can try oiling the slide, NO grease for testing.

Check to see if the feed ramp is smooth. I bought an inexpensive used auto pistol that would not cycle properly, I cleaned off the grease, polished the rails and the feed ramp with fine sandpaper, then it worked perfectly after that.

I prefer revolves to pistols but revolvers fail also.
I had to pump a box or 2 of ammo through an A5 before it worked perfectly. Never missed a beat for 3 decades or so, break in may be needed to mate the friction points.
Best wishes with your new pistol. I am confident the problems will be resolved.
Jody

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@Deacon Frank , how many magazines came with the pistol? Does it malfunction with all of them? Does it make a difference if the mags are not fully loaded?

@Deacon Frank , how many magazines came with the pistol? Does it malfunction with all of them? Does it make a difference if the mags are not fully loaded?

Came with two mags, same performance from both of them. I thought that too, so I tried taking a couple of rounds out of each mag and ran them, same issues.

Barrel issue perhaps. Easy to check. Remove barrel from gun.
Take a couple boxes of ammunition and drop a few rounds from each of them in the breech side of the barrel. Now turn it upside down. If the rounds drop out, you’re good. If they hang up...bad cartridges or bad barrel

Did this last night, no apparent issues. It was a good thing to check, though, and I probably should have done that before firing it. I will remember to check this on any new pistol from now on.

Doing some reading online from others who had similar issues, it seems like there are two components. First, Sig uses overpowered springs in the P320, and these require a significant break-in period. The culprit here could be the recoil spring, which (if overpowered) may be causing the slide to short-stroke. The slide moves rearward enough to strip a new round from the mag, but not with enough force to cycle it completely into battery. Some have reported success by leaving the pistol with the slide locked open for a while to knock the recoil spring power down a bit. Also, fully racking the slide frequently seems to help. I'll try this and see what happens.

Second, the lockup between barrel and slide is apparently very tight by design. This is (supposedly) to maximize precision and thus potential accuracy. This second component is (supposedly) why Sig uses overpowered springs -- it needs the added force to overcome the resistance of tight tolerances and bring the gun into battery. It (supposedly) takes a break-in period for all these bearing surfaces to mate smoothly. I hope this is the case, although this smacks of marketing speak. I guess we'll see.

If it doesn't clear up after another 150 rounds (next range trip!) I'll send it back to Sig. I hope it doesn't come to that, though. If it does I'll probably sell it and move on. If I can't trust it at the range, I certainly can't trust it in a defense situation.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If these are indeed the issues, I'd put more than another 150 rounds through it before sending it back to SIG. I believe the break in period for my Kahr was 400 rounds, IIRC, but I wasn't having anywhere near the issues you have experienced. I'd also contact SIG sooner than later to see if they have any suggestions other than "send it back". I believe SIG will make things right in the long run. Good luck and keep us posted!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
If these are indeed the issues, I'd put more than another 150 rounds through it before sending it back to SIG. I believe the break in period for my Kahr was 400 rounds, IIRC, but I wasn't having anywhere near the issues you have experienced. I'd also contact SIG sooner than later to see if they have any suggestions other than "send it back". I believe SIG will make things right in the long run. Good luck and keep us posted!

+1 Great advice. Sig Sauer is a great company which has manufactured great pistols since many of us has been alive. Give them a chance to advise you and/or make it right. You might just find, the reward of a little patience to be an awesome pistol and the satisfaction of witnessing good customer service.

When you do take it back to the range, take someone with you who can record you shooting the gun from either side of you. Run the video back in slow motion and see if your shooting grip is riding up on the slide and possibly keeping it from returning fully back to battery.

Ya never know until you look. :)

Good suggestions, guys. Next time I'll try to get a friend to come with me and record. I don't think I'm riding the slide (haven't had that issue with other pistols) and the Sig's slide is pretty high compared to other pistols, but you never know. At the very least it will document the issue if it still exists.

Of course, I would call Sig and get their suggestions before sending it back to them for repair. I don't agree that a 400-round break-in period is acceptable unless they're going to call that out in the literature, particularly the owner's manual. If that is indeed a real thing, they should clearly say so, like Kahr does. Managing expectations is a huge part of customer service and the customer's perception of quality/reliability.

OkieStubble

Good suggestions, guys. Next time I'll try to get a friend to come with me and record. I don't think I'm riding the slide (haven't had that issue with other pistols) and the Sig's slide is pretty high compared to other pistols, but you never know. At the very least it will document the issue if it still exists.

Of course, I would call Sig and get their suggestions before sending it back to them for repair. I don't agree that a 400-round break-in period is acceptable unless they're going to call that out in the literature, particularly the owner's manual. If that is indeed a real thing, they should clearly say so, like Kahr does. Managing expectations is a huge part of customer service and the customer's perception of quality/reliability.

Absolutely agree with you. I've seen stranger things in this new era of firearms manufacturing. The Sig P320 had the drop fire issues in the beginning the Glock 43 had recoil spring issues and a terrible trigger when it first came out and the Sig P365 had all kinds of things going wrong when it first came.

While I waited a bit on both, I still bought a G43 for the wife and have the Sig P365 on my hip right now as I'm typing this with 1200 rounds thru it already without a single hiccup. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Like an old gunsmith told me after he worked on my revolver...now go shoot the hell outa it.

Take a friend with you and let him also shoot it a lot...a lot...put a lot of rounds through it also. Sigs are good.

I could probably find somewhere to move where a pistol is not needed, but I don't think there is a place I could go where a pistol is not wanted... :)

I beg to differ, my friend.

I don't know of anywhere on earth, that at some time or the other, a pistol is not needed by someone at sometime.

The only question is...is one available.

I do have a big knife and a bow and arrows though.

Like an Indian friend of mine told someone when they asked about what caliber of rifle is good for a big bear:

"Hell, we used to kill 'em with spears."

I'm old and set in my ways. My daily carry is a Ruger SR1911CMD commander-length 1911. All stainless in .45acp. MTAC Minotaur IWB or an OWB leather speed scabbard holster. A thin 1911 is very easy to conceal and has a fantastic single-action trigger. I have smallish hands, and slim grips with a mag release cut-out made it perfect.

1911.jpg

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Like an old gunsmith told me after he worked on my revolver...now go shoot the hell outa it.

Take a friend with you and let him also shoot it a lot...a lot...put a lot of rounds through it also. Sigs are good.

I beg to differ, my friend.

I don't know of anywhere on earth, that at some time or the other, a pistol is not needed by someone at sometime.

The only question is...is one available.

I do have a big knife and a bow and arrows though.

Like an Indian friend of mine told someone when they asked about what caliber of rifle is good for a big bear:

"Hell, we used to kill 'em with spears."

You're right of course, I was just being a smartass... :)

(In a high falsetto Charlotte O'Hara voice.. ) "I've always relied on the kindness of strangers."

Lol'd. :)

I'm old and set in my ways. My daily carry is a Ruger SR1911CMD commander-length 1911. All stainless in .45acp. MTAC Minotaur IWB or an OWB leather speed scabbard holster. A thin 1911 is very easy to conceal and has a fantastic single-action trigger. I have smallish hands, and slim grips with a mag release cut-out made it perfect.

View attachment 931063

Very nice.

I didn't read every post in detail but my biggest takeaway from the thread is the issue of a new firearm malfunctioning. I would never trust it again and would go for a different one immediately. No amount of tweaks or break in will convince me it can be trusted to work in an emergency after a failure out of the box.

Call me old fashioned but I still think wheel guns are best for the ladies, ham handed guys can rack slides and clear jams but most of the fairer sex can't. Simple=Safe.

OkieStubble

I didn't read every post in detail but my biggest takeaway from the thread is the issue of a new firearm malfunctioning. I would never trust it again and would go for a different one immediately. No amount of tweaks or break in will convince me it can be trusted to work in an emergency after a failure out of the box.

Call me old fashioned but I still think wheel guns are best for the ladies, ham handed guys can rack slides and clear jams but most of the fairer sex can't. Simple=Safe.

Lol'd. They don't call that old fashioned anymore, they call it being sexist. Just sayin'. :)

I could personally point out to you, around 100 female police officers who would beg to differ.

Top Bottom