What's new

Pistol Options?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
well, if she wants to be a leo, buy a glock. 90% mof the PDs out there huse them, why, I have no freaking clue

I do! I do!

While I won't admit this to Rob, there is a good reason for departments to go to the simple Combat Tupperware. They are reliable, not idiot proof...but almost (well, as much as you can get a firearm to be), and they are like tinker toys to work on. And it doesn't take much skill for an armorer (yes, looking at you, Rob) to work on. You can get Youtube videos that will tell you about everything. You don't need skilled armorers or gunsmiths with them to keep them up and running for the department. Simple, cheap, and easy.

Sorry Rob, you have many skills and much experience, but you know my attitude on Combat Tupperware. ;)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I do! I do!

While I won't admit this to Rob, there is a good reason for departments to go to the simple Combat Tupperware. They are reliable, not idiot proof...but almost (well, as much as you can get a firearm to be), and they are like tinker toys to work on. And it doesn't take much skill for an armorer (yes, looking at you, Rob) to work on. You can get Youtube videos that will tell you about everything. You don't need skilled armorers or gunsmiths with them to keep them up and running for the department. Simple, cheap, and easy.

Sorry Rob, you have many skills and much experience, but you know my attitude on Combat Tupperware. ;)

Lol'd. Agreed on all points. :)

I can make a really mean grilled cheese sandwich. ;)

you can buy several fine 1911's for the same money as a cz. i paid about $500 for my Remington R-1 several years ago and she is a fine weapon.

Most of the CZ's are in that same price range. They've gone up quite a bit in price since we bought our first one 20 or so years ago. Pretty sure we paid around $350 out the door for that 75BD.

In my opinion, the weight of a double-action trigger would take as much effort to learn as racking a slide. I don't think my daughter would have trouble with either.

Double action isn't all that difficult to achieve any degree of proficiency with, especially if one has the action tuned and the pull lightened. My most often used revolvers have double action pulls of around 9 pounds. That being said, none of them are the typically carried J frame S&W. Still, even the worst DAO J frame is still fairly easy to shoot well at(and beyond) typical self defense distances.

FPID retrieved from the local police department, and a Sig P320 full-size in 45 ACP on the way! I will post pics once I have it in hand.

I hear your pain. But, I live in a municipality that follows the law and I get my permits with the 30 days. Other townships drag this out to over 9-12 months I have heard from a colleague. As far as hollow points, you can buy and own them, and i can use them on the range, but not have them in a gun ...

I originally applied in Bergen County NJ quite a few years ago. I did not get a permit after a year. I then moved to Morris County and applied again. This time I got the permit within two months. In contrast, when I moved to FL I got my permit within 30 days. In AZ, since I was licensed in FL, it took about one week. The computerization of records should make things easy now.

Having been around for awhile I started duty carrying a Ruger Security Six .357. I was the last hold out until the department transitioned to that damned tactical tupperware Glock. I hated it then and I do to this day. I was lucky enough to then go to a department that started out allowing the carry of the AUTO (damnit) of your choice as long as it was on the approved list. I switched to the CZ and was in love. I carried that pistol until 1998 when we transitioned to the Sig P220. I liked it but never really loved it. Accurate and smooth yes. But just did not fit my hand. Next up was the USP in 9mm. A very meh weapon. In the last 4 years we switched to the M&P 9mm. Still not into tactical tupperware. Plus we had two of the weapons suddenly disassemble them selves in a very violent manner at the range. NOT a good thing. Dont know why but still, I raise an eyebrow. In short I am still a revolver lover. But...if I go auto I would go with a CZ or one of the excellent and affordable clones out there.

I am not law enforcement. I do find it interesting that weapon platforms are changed around so often. Guns last a long time in my experience. Jody

Having been around for awhile I started duty carrying a Ruger Security Six .357. I was the last hold out until the department transitioned to that damned tactical tupperware Glock. I hated it then and I do to this day. I was lucky enough to then go to a department that started out allowing the carry of the AUTO (damnit) of your choice as long as it was on the approved list. I switched to the CZ and was in love. I carried that pistol until 1998 when we transitioned to the Sig P220. I liked it but never really loved it. Accurate and smooth yes. But just did not fit my hand. Next up was the USP in 9mm. A very meh weapon. In the last 4 years we switched to the M&P 9mm. Still not into tactical tupperware. Plus we had two of the weapons suddenly disassemble them selves in a very violent manner at the range. NOT a good thing. Dont know why but still, I raise an eyebrow. In short I am still a revolver lover. But...if I go auto I would go with a CZ or one of the excellent and affordable clones out there.

+1 CZ is a fine pistol .My first carry was a Ruger Security 6 357 stainless 3 1/4 Inch barrel .Loved that revolver .

Here it is! Sig P320 full-size, 45 ACP, with night sights
full

..........I want them all

I hear you! It's a great time to be a firearm enthusiast.

I disassembled the pistol, cleaned and greased it, and reassembled. Feels solid, a lot more so than I expected. The ergonomics are fantastic, and the trigger feels really crisp. Hopefully we'll have a chance to get to the range soon.

Thanks again to all you guys for your insights and suggestions.

I hear you! It's a great time to be a firearm enthusiast.

I disassembled the pistol, cleaned and greased it, and reassembled. Feels solid, a lot more so than I expected. The ergonomics are fantastic, and the trigger feels really crisp. Hopefully we'll have a chance to get to the range soon.

Thanks again to all you guys for your insights and suggestions.

Sounds great. The trigger is the holy grail that I seek. I’ll check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great guns in this thread, had most of them, Sigs, HK's, S&W's, 1911's, Kahrs, Berettas... you name it.

The #1 pistol that I've been recommending for shooters, newbies, experienced, home defense, carry for many years... is a Glock 19. Dubbed... COMPACT PERFECTION by many.

Absolutely reliable, always fires, low recoil, parts available galore, easy to clean and work on. To me it's the VW Bug of pistols... will run in any weather, any condition, any environment.

If leftist NJ has mag restrictions, get the ten round mags. Or even get the Glock 26. Me... I carry a lightweight CCO 45ACP 1911 or a Glock 19. The Glock is my bedside pistol pictured here in a cordovan Milt Sparks NLG holster.

Have fun, enjoy and be safe.

20181107_070908.jpg

Here it is! Sig P320 full-size, 45 ACP, with night sights
full
Congratulations! I hope it works well for you.

I have to say, from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, I don't find it quite as pleasing to the eye as the Sigs with wood grips. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, performance is everything, etc, etc. :001_smile

. . . At least it's not a Glock! :001_tt2:

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Great guns in this thread, had most of them, Sigs, HK's, S&W's, 1911's, Kahrs, Berettas... you name it.

The #1 pistol that I've been recommending for shooters, newbies, experienced, home defense, carry for many years... is a Glock 19. Dubbed... COMPACT PERFECTION by many.

Absolutely reliable, always fires, low recoil, parts available galore, easy to clean and work on. To me it's the VW Bug of pistols... will run in any weather, any condition, any environment.

If leftist NJ has mag restrictions, get the ten round mags. Or even get the Glock 26. Me... I carry a lightweight CCO 45ACP 1911 or a Glock 19. The Glock is my bedside pistol pictured here in a cordovan Milt Sparks NLG holster.

Have fun, enjoy and be safe.

View attachment 926165

I love my Glock 19

Top Bottom