What's new

Pistol for a Wife

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I got to tell you, I suck at trying to figure out what my female friends want when it comes to handguns. I have a G42 and I absolutely love the thing. It’s fast, it’s light, recoils like a toy and anyone can get a grip on it.

And yet, I’m the only person who shoots or carries it. Every woman I’ve shot with have gravitated to any one of my Walther’s in 9mm. I’ll never understand it. But then, I’ve long given up trying.

As for tutoring... they all shoot better than me out of the gate :).

While men like ergonomics in their pistols, we can pretty much shoot anything and make it work. I think women are much more particular and it's more important how it feels to them when it's in their hand. you gave really good advice in an earlier post, of just letting her pick it out. But us men like to control that for so damn reason, I dunno. :)

Walthers are really ergonomic pistols, so I can see why a female would gravitate to it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Anything and everything. I was sure that there would be some nice photos of the recommendations. I like smaller firearms.

04388931-292C-4079-B536-42A4006F4D5E.jpeg

P938 9mm in the front and wife’s P238 .380 in the back.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
While men like ergonomics in their pistols, we can pretty much shoot anything and make it work. I think women are much more particular and it's more important how it feels to them when it's in their hand. you gave really good advice in an earlier post, of just letting her pick it out. But us men like to control that for so damn reason, I dunno. :)

Walthers are really ergonomic pistols, so I can see why a female would gravitate to it.
We understand that regardless it's all our fault and so we should at least get some fun out of it.

And, smaller hands trying to get a grip as high up on the Walther as they can won't often have the problem us ham-fisted males get with railroad tracks from the slide cycling. :)

Browning 1911 .380. Its built to a 3/4 scale of a full size 1911 in every way and would really suit someone with smaller hands and who wants something without a lot of kick.
Beyond that, my wife loves shooting my Walther PPQ 5" 9mm. She finds it super easy to shoot.

A Colt Mustang is a great choice IF you dont mind a single action. A Bersa Thunder is a good choice as well. The micro 9s have a bit too much snap for what they are IMHO. In the winter when one can cover up you might look into a compact 9 or a 38 snubbie of some sort. Heck this is your big chance to get a variety of handguns! Ruger makes a great little semi auto .22. The SR22 3600 is a great little pistol that carries 10 rounds. People laugh, but 10 rounds of .22 can really ruin your day.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
have the problem us ham-fisted males get with railroad tracks from the slide cycling. :)

That is why I like revolvers for starting out. If my wife would have started with autos and suffered slide bite she would have quit. Now she would say damn that hurt and shake her hand and jump up and down like the rest of us do. (Of course I had to keep this B&B clean. I am not sure I said damn that hurt the last time it happened to me.)

Top Bottom