What's new

Pistol for a Wife

I had a shock today. My wife saw me looking at some pistols today and asked if she could join me at the shooting range within the next two weeks. I jumped at the opportunity since this is the first time she expressed an interest in guns. A few weeks ago she told me that I should take a pistol with me when I drove from AZ to IN and then on to MN for a fishing trip.

I took out some of the guns I have (Glock 17, 19, 23, 21 SF and a Smith & Wesson snubbie. My wife is 5' and weighs 110 pounds and has small hands. She found all of these guns on the heavy side.

I plan to take her to a shooting range where she will get some training from an NRA instructor that I know. Any suggestions on pistol or revolver I should be looking at?

My wife is 5'3" and she has an S&W .380 and S&W 9mm M&P. Both great little guns. If your wife wants something small without kick, a Ruger single six (.22) is pretty fun to shoot.

Reactions: CCR
We were at a gun show a few years back and SWMBO ran across a Sig P238 and it was love at first sight. She has shot it ever since and still brags about her pistol to her friends. It’s a 32 cal and small. She is 4’ 8” with correspondingly small hands.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
We were at a gun show a few years back and SWMBO ran across a Sig P238 and it was love at first sight. She has shot it ever since and still brags about her pistol to her friends. It’s a 32 cal and small. She is 4’ 8” with correspondingly small hands.

Where did you find a 32acp Sig P238?

My wife has a Taurus PT111 G2 9mm and a Bersa Thunder 380. She’s eyeing a Beretta FS92 next or surplus M9. She’s 5’4”.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
My wife started with a revolver and loves them. She would have never stuck with shooting if she started with autos, they scared her. She enjoys autos now though.

My wife is tiny. 5'1" and petite. Think of 100lbs if she fell into the a pool in her winter clothing. The only pistols that she has found that fit her tiny hands are the Walther P22 and the PK380. It's not just weight as there is some benefit to that, but there is also trigger reach and ease of working the slide.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I had a shock today. My wife saw me looking at some pistols today and asked if she could join me at the shooting range within the next two weeks. I jumped at the opportunity since this is the first time she expressed an interest in guns. A few weeks ago she told me that I should take a pistol with me when I drove from AZ to IN and then on to MN for a fishing trip.

I took out some of the guns I have (Glock 17, 19, 23, 21 SF and a Smith & Wesson snubbie. My wife is 5' and weighs 110 pounds and has small hands. She found all of these guns on the heavy side.

I plan to take her to a shooting range where she will get some training from an NRA instructor that I know. Any suggestions on pistol or revolver I should be looking at?

This is a common thread I have been hearing from men who have wives that usually don't think about or have any interest or awareness with the guns & ammo thing we guys constantly hee haw on about. My wife carries and shoots, but she's never "really cared" one way or the other or discusses this kind of stuff unless she is responding to my leading on the subject matter, because she is just being nice or wants my body or something. ;)

The other day, out of the blue, she says, "Do you have enough ammo?" So I was like "uhm, Yeah, for the most part, but there is always more of one caliber or another I could get more of?" She then just responded, "you should think about doing that." I said, "okaaaaaay...???" :confused1

I think they are feeling the times just like the rest of us.

Any suggestions on what you should be looking at? Is this a trick question? ;)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

My wife has and carries a Ruger LCP II and a Glock 43 for a while now, but she always has her mind and eye on a 938 for some reason? I think it's because I picked out the other two instead of picking it out for herself; and she likes the way the 938 looks and feels in her hand.

But, she has no interest in trying to see if, training with or attempting to carry a cocked & locked 1911 style pistol. I have told her, then that rules out the 938. But she still likes it.

If you can get to a range where they offer rentals, I would definitely recommend that, so she can get a feel for what she might be comfortable with. If she’s not a mechanically inclined individual, that’s not going to practice malfunction clearing and others issues that semi autos can run into, maybe suggest a .38sp revolver. just point and shoot. And if it goes “click” just pull the trigger again. I know they make lighter “lady’s” loads for self defense.
If she is mechanically inclined, wants to learn or just likes it better, look into a semi-auto. My wife loves shooting my Glock 19 but also does great with her Glock 43. That would probably be my recommendation for a semi-auto a G43 or slightly bigger framed G43X/G48 (they have a great grip IMO, G48 is my edc).
Glocks are about as simple and reliable as a semi-auto can be, IMO.

I would skip a centerfire gun as her first and get a good .22 semi auto so she can learn to shoot, have fun plinking and not break the bank doing it. I am partial to the Ruger MK series, but have nothing against a Browning Buckmark. I would skip the shorter barreled models because their muzzle blast is obnoxious for a .22. I'd look at a 6" model with adjustable sights. After she's proficient and hopefully having fun, I'd shift the focus to a centerfire and only lean toward it as a defensive piece if she wanted to go in that direction. If she's not inclined, I'd let her pick a full sized gun as a range toy and skip the compacts and micros.

Top Bottom