What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

For the first time ever I had some bowls in summer (my cigar season).

Packed two cobs yesterday. One from a mystery jar. I believe I dumped all my Aro samples in it a couple of years (8?) ago and now it just has a mild sweetish note to it. It burns easy without a bite or dottle so I will use it more regularly.

Second one was Amphora Full which was initially too goopy and sour for me. A couple of months in the jar mellowed this leaf as well and while not perfect it was a pleasant enough smoke.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My Farrago mixed blend in a beautiful Bertram.

20220807_161850.jpg

This morning, post-workout and -breakfast, I loaded some well-dried Capstan Blue plus Edgeworth Match, about 60/40, into my new-to-me Keyser billiard with the military mount. It's funny, but this is the second time I've had a smoke longer than my usual with this model. Earlier it was some Newminster 400 flake plus C & D Alpine Lodge. In both cases the initial smoke after the relight ran to some 35 minutes, and a third match yielded about 5 more. Maybe it was the slow-burning quality of the Virginia flake -- but it's odd that both times they occurred in this pipe.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Today’s smoke was interesting. Smoked some Vauen Tradition #2 in the Stetson received from the PIF earlier. Mixed feelings on this. The pipe smokes well as does the leaf; however, I’m getting a perfumy undernote that I can’t tell if it’s from the leaf I’m smoking or ghosting from a previous smoke (possibly Lakeland essence?). So I’ll try this blend out in one of my cobs and see how it goes. Otherwise, it was a relaxing day with a storm brewing in the distance 🙂.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Today’s smoke was interesting. Smoked some Vauen Tradition #2 in the Stetson received from the PIF earlier. Mixed feelings on this. The pipe smokes well as does the leaf; however, I’m getting a perfumy undernote that I can’t tell if it’s from the leaf I’m smoking or ghosting from a previous smoke (possibly Lakeland essence?). So I’ll try this blend out in one of my cobs and see how it goes. Otherwise, it was a relaxing day with a storm brewing in the distance 🙂.
The Stetson had a basic cleaning, but not restored. I didn't smoke it, so I can't tell you if it's the pipe, but I wouldn't be shocked at all.
Maybe a bowl sweetening is in order.

It's raining in fitful bursts today, and it's likely to continue into the evening after I get home. Which means? A pipe tonight! Maybe some SWR in my old Prince of Wales apple . . .?

Top Bottom