Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Germain's Virginia Gold Leaf again, but this time in a Nording Compass

IMG_20210309_024926.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You're burning the late night oil. 😁

I have a free roaming body clock, John :biggrin1: It's currently 3:30am, and my brain seems to think it's early evening. Tomorrow, it will be different again. Some "days" are 16 hours long, others are 30+ and sleep is erratic too. Sometimes I get 3 hours, and sometimes 12 or more. It's all part of the neurological disorders, and every day is a new adventure as to what works and what doesn't, when, and for how long 🤣

I have a free roaming body clock, John :biggrin1: It's currently 3:30am, and my brain seems to think it's early evening. Tomorrow, it will be different again. Some "days" are 16 hours long, others are 30+ and sleep is erratic too. Sometimes I get 3 hours, and sometimes 12 or more. It's all part of the neurological disorders, and every day is a new adventure as to what works and what doesn't, when, and for how long 🤣
Heard that and relate...

Today, EGR Blend in my thick-walled, slightly-bent sitter Lorenzo. I packed it a little more fully this time out, and got a good 30 minutes' smoke with but one relight. There was a little pepperiness to my tongue after. That vanished with a glass of iced mineral water, so I could hardly call it bite. EGR is definitely growing on me.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Today, EGR Blend in my thick-walled, slightly-bent sitter Lorenzo. I packed it a little more fully this time out, and got a good 30 minutes' smoke with but one relight. There was a little pepperiness to my tongue after. That vanished with a glass of iced mineral water, so I could hardly call it bite. EGR is definitely growing on me.

The mild topping on EGR exhibits a hint of what can be best described as cinnamon or clove.

No time for a smoke today. I got home fairly late from work, and I don't care for sitting out on my step in the darkness in the evening or early morning -- not during the week. One of my small bent apple pipes is packed with Sir Walter, though, and I'm planning on a leisurely smoke tomorrow afternoon.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Outstanding pipe this morning of some care package tobacco from @Jbird45. It was called "No-Bite Burley" and true to its name it was a very pleasant and easy smoking tobacco. If you'd packed the bowl for me and handed it off I would have sworn up and down that it was filled with KBV Burley Morning Pipe. It would have paired masterfully with a cup of coffee and just a swirl of half and half. A creamy, nutty taste very pleasing to the buds. Thank you @Jbird45!
20210311_094702.jpg

20210311_095906.jpg

A windy day in the Rio Grande Valley, as have been the last several days. This morning, after changing out a light switch in our kid’s garage, I figured out I could open a garage door, set up a smoking chair and table, and enjoy a smoke, mostly out of the wind; took me longer than it should have. So...I’m smoking a bowl of LBF, two coins folded and stuffed, in my Meer Bulldog Falcon. Then it’s on to G. L. Pease Cumberland Anniversary in a Castello Old Antiquary 55 KK.

Tonight's smoke was some Sir Walter in a small no-name bent apple. Apparently I did something really right. I loaded the pipe last night, the full bowl, but did not light it until today. I got the entire surface of the tobacco going, and it did not go out! I smoked for some 25 minutes until I needed a relight, and got another 10 minutes out of it. The bowl of the pipe was getting pretty hot by the time the mass of leaf went out the second time. So I figured, quit while you're winning.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I managed to squeeze in two pipes this evening. The first was another Bosse's News and Tobacco blend called "Normandy", a Cavendish aromatic that was a very pleasing smoke. It was enjoyed from the Peterson Summertime. Later I had some Comoy's Cask No. 4 in the Savinelli Series III.

It feels good unwinding with a pipe again. I'm hoping I can continue to find some free time for a bowl here and there.
20210311_204804.jpg

Today, some Edward G. Robinson blend in a small bent apple that I picked up from Mr. Jansen's shop in the Quarter long ago. The Pipedia article says that his pipes were made by GBD and Comoy, and in fact this one is much like another GBD that I have and might have bought there. Anyway, I got a nice 25-minute smoke with one relight, and a pleasant peppery sensation on my tongue for a while after.

I keep reading about all of you getting 30-45 minutes per bowl. Is it that you have larger bowls than I do? Most of my pipes are fairly small. I don't mind sessions of 20-25 minutes, that's plenty for me. I'm just curious.

It depends on blend, how you pack, and cadence. I get an average of 20 minutes from a random bowl. But I don't pack very tightly and, well, I'm a cigarette smoker and it shows in my puffing. Others put their lips on the stem just before the ember is about to go out, just to keep it lit. Do that and your bowl will last 3/4 of forever. And different cuts and leaves burn at different rates.

The different combinations of factors in pipe smoking is just as bad as shaving or saltwater aquariums. But as long as you find it rewarding, you're not nicking yourself, and your corals are thriving, you're doing it right.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Today, some Edward G. Robinson blend in a small bent apple that I picked up from Mr. Jansen's shop in the Quarter long ago. The Pipedia article says that his pipes were made by GBD and Comoy, and in fact this one is much like another GBD that I have and might have bought there. Anyway, I got a nice 25-minute smoke with one relight, and a pleasant peppery sensation on my tongue for a while after.

I keep reading about all of you getting 30-45 minutes per bowl. Is it that you have larger bowls than I do? Most of my pipes are fairly small. I don't mind sessions of 20-25 minutes, that's plenty for me. I'm just curious.

Twenty to twenty-five minutes is about spot on average for EGR and most other OTCs in the typical chamber load. You’re doing fine. If you are enjoying the smoke, that’s all that ultimately matters. Refill, and enjoy another 25 minutes.

Packing and cadence play a bigger role if you want to go longer. No doubt, a king size chamber also lends itself to a longer smoke as well.

If left to relax, I’ll admittedly drag more out of a bowl of PA ... unless Mrs. Columbo comes in and starts talking on about certain annoying family members. 🙄

The old dinosaurs were the masters of the really long smokes. I guess that’s what we would call pipers envy nowadays.

Top Bottom