What's new

Pipe Of The Day (POTD)

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
45 minutes on a coin of LBF... If I pack a huge bowl with VA flake I reckon I can get 2-3 hours. 90 minutes if it's ribbon. But I'm talking a bowl that's 1"*2" chamber diameter...

3 hours smoking isn't bad when you're reading a book on porch.

Always glad you liked a blend I recommended. Sadly last time I smoked it I hated it but knew at one point I liked it a lot. Was ready to dump the jar which isn't much but figured I need to give it another go.
It's spicy and you need to be in the right mood for it but I do really like it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Because it works? Not just works, but like a stripped down hot rod. If you don't need it to work, it gets left off. That's the reason I like it.
I also read that it is good for de-ghosting a pipe. FB is going to be my fishing tobacco in a small Tom Sawyer cob. Excellent quick smoke. If you exhale a few times out through the pipe before you light it, it will moisten the tobacco enough to slow the burn a bit. I just ordered six more pouches. Codger to the max!

Second pipe today: some EGR in a small bent apple. That hint of Latakia (?) is a little odd to me after the burley mixes of Sir Walter, Half & Half, and Carter Hall. Not sure I like it.

For some reason I cut the smoke short at 15 minutes, as I did not really enjoy it. Not the tobacco per se, but the entire process. If I do this too often, it is no longer something to look forward to. A pipe in the morning on the weekend, or one in the afternoon occasionally after work, is one thing; one in the morning and one in the afternoon is another.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Some Bayou Morning in my well loved Savinelli 320. I hadn't visited this blend in a while and at one time it was a favorite. The combination of a lightly topped burley and a good pinch of Perique is a winner with me. It must be smoked gently but the rewards are great. I remember why I liked it so much.
20210318_201319.jpg

An early morning pipe: Half & Half in a small bent apple GBD. Twenty minutes' smoke, after which I was left with a little peppery sensation toward the back of my tongue. That went away with some cool coffee and some sparkling mineral water. Very nice.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Germain's Royal Jersey Cavendish and Virginia with a maybe 20-25% addition of Radfords Mixture. Smoking it in a Dr Plumb Pebble Grain Bermuda Bulldog, which is NOT the pipe I should be smoking it in, as it's my plain Virginia pipe. However, I wanted to specifically try a wetter smoking tobacco in it with some Denicool crystals, to see if I could get through a bowl without having to dip a pipe cleaner down mid-bowl. So far, so good.

IMG_20201026_082537_edit.jpg

A rare two-pipe evening tonight. Just finished a bowl of Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake in a Falcon, and now it’s on to some 2020 Sutliff Cringle Flake. Same Falcon, different Bantam bowl.

This 2020 Cringle is the best red Virginia blend (IMHO) to hit the market since the McClelland closure. Many thanks to the forum member here who made a trade with me!

A beautifully cool morning, rare for this time of year, and a morning pipe: my Peterson No. 307 from the '80s, loaded with some Sir Walter Raleigh -- an appropriate UK-oriented combo, I thought. A very nice 25-minute smoke with only 1 relight needed.

Top Bottom