What's new

PIF Time.What's Your Best Musical Memory?

Wow...I am absolutely loving the stories so far!!! Keep them coming!!!

To be fair, I'll share a few of mine:

When I was in 7th grade, going to my first ever rock concert with my best friend at the time. We saw AC/DC, and I will never forget it.

In college, watching the London Symphony Orchestra in Carnegie Hall, playing Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. It's one of my favorite pieces of music, and I just remembered being totally overwhelmed by the beauty and power of the moment. It literally made my knees tremble.

Most recently, 12 days ago, at Madison Square Garden, seeing Billy Joel sing New York State of Mind. Gave me chills.

Not in, but great PIF.

The first thing that came to mind...It was July in Texas, 1967. I had just graduated from high school, ready to start college. I had a day off from my job of selling paint. It was a hot summer day as I drove across the Lake Worth bridge, heading to Fort Worth to pick up my girl. Half way across the bridge, the radio began playing "Ode to Billy Joe." The lake, the sun, my 1959 Porsche, the windows rolled down, and thoughts of seeing my raven-haired date...for some reason it all combined to create one of those magic moments. I'll never forget..."It was the third of June, another sleepy, dusty, delta day..."

Mine would be marching band in high school. I switched from trombone to tuba my senior year, then kicked myself for not doing it earlier.

I was in so many ensembles that, during the end of year concert to show off all the talent at the school, I had to be in two places at once. So, we came up with the lost tuba player. I would wander around the auditorium, or be in the wrong place at the time to start playing. Because there wasn't enough time for me to physically make it where I had to be. Right before the conductor would start, the lights would shine on me, and he would tell me to go to the right spot. This happened multiple times throughout the night, and some people actually thought I was lost. I guess I'm a great actor.

Then I joined the Navy and never played an instrument again.

BTW I'm in.

Mine would be marching band in high school. I switched from trombone to tuba my senior year, then kicked myself for not doing it earlier.

I was in so many ensembles that, during the end of year concert to show off all the talent at the school, I had to be in two places at once. So, we came up with the lost tuba player. I would wander around the auditorium, or be in the wrong place at the time to start playing. Because there wasn't enough time for me to physically make it where I had to be. Right before the conductor would start, the lights would shine on me, and he would tell me to go to the right spot. This happened multiple times throughout the night, and some people actually thought I was lost. I guess I'm a great actor.

BTW I'm in.

Awesome story, but no extra brownie points for playing tuba! :p

Nice story, and appropriate with Silent Tuba. :thumbup:

BTW I'm in.

I'm in!

Best music experience, besides the joys of marching band which was more about friends than music, would be Michael Bublé concert. He is an amazing singer/songwriter who is more about the music than the showy crap. He doesn't have an elaborate setup and effects. Just your basic spot lights and background screens. Performs in a tux with an orchestra that tours with him. Best concerts (2) that I have been too for the actual music aspect. Plus he's funny and gets involved with the crowd.

Hate to disagree and although I love Van Halen, I still think Led Zep is better...to my ears of course. Jimmy Page is a God!

They are both geniuses in their own regard. Both bands are some of the best the world has ever seen, and same goes for Eddie and Jimmy. \m/

I'm in! Fav musical memory for me is lying under my father's baby grand as a kid and listening to him practice. Gave me inspiration to start a musical career of my own.

Great PIF. I've never tried MWF, so I am definitely in. My favorite music memory is my 10 year old son playing electric guitar on the stage at BB King's Blues Club. He took lessons at School of Rock and, at the end of the session, had his concert there. He totally rocked and I was so proud of him!

View attachment 472615

Cool kid! You must be very proud! The world needs to experience real musicians again!

I'm in. The Beatles yellow submarine after I quit drinking for a few weeks on an light breeze night in Okinawa. My favorite piece is called Inchian that we performed in concert band when I was I. High school concert band.

I'm in - favorite musical memory has got to be my first concert; my dad took me and my brother to an Al Jerreau concert. I had never heard of him in my life, but was certainly a great performance and a great memory.

On the night of my first date with my fiance (which was actually my first date ever), my brother and I went to Nashville to see one of As Cities Burn's reunion shows before the date. It's definitely one of the greatest shows I've ever been too. The fans were singing so loud that the vocalist didn't have to sing at all and you could still understand every word to the song. As a musician, a crowd like that is what I've always dreamed of playing in front of.

I'm in!

I'm in. Not sure if it counts, but when I was young my Grandmother took me to go see a live production of A Chorus Line(it does have lots of music). It is one of my most cherished memories of her.

I'm in, thanks for the chance. I was 14 when I went to my first concert. Disturbed was the main show with Flyleaf, Nonpoint, Stone Sour, and some local band performing. I was so in a haze and had an awesome time. I remember my ears were ringing, I smelled like smoke, got beer spilled on me, got a contact high from a joint, and my neck was sore from all the head banging. I think I still have the t-shirt somewhere.

I'm in

One of the all time best concerts was in a tiny venue back in 1991. There was only about 15 of us there and toad the wet sprocket and the Origin played an acoustic concert for about 2 hours. It was amazing. What a bunch if cool guys. We all just sat around and BS'd in between songs.

I'm in! Id have to say that out of all the music I've listened and everything I've heard nothing makes me crank the volume up as high as when I'm listening to music and The Doors come on with Roadhouse Blues. That opening riff makes me want to jump up and smash something! Just so powerful! That song changed everything I thought about music!

Top Bottom