What's new

PIF: musical redemption (bowls, bank, spoon and sample)

Captain Coconut:
1. Klemperer
2. Karajan
3. Furtwangler
4. Reiner
5. Szell

Saxmoore:
1 - Wilhelm Furtwängler
2 - Günter Wand
3 - Otto Klemperer
4 - Bruno Walter
5 - Daniel Barenboim

furtwängler was the answer!

my other choices:
klemperer
jochum
karajan
e. kleiber

Saxmoore steals it in the 9th inning!

for captain coconut, please pick one item from the initial offering (i can get a second of everything there) OR choose one of these:

proxy.php

(arko and bowl with lid)

or

proxy.php

PLUS i will throw in something else too.

once captain coconut has chosen, inverness gets a pick from what remains.

vuk.

p.s. don't forget to PM me your mailing addresses.

Last edited:
congrats to the winners! It was a long and hard-fought battle and very entertaining to keep track of! very awesome indeed! Thanks for the opportunity

Congrats to Saxmore! Furtwangler is actually my favorite too, but I wasn't guessing who I thought MY favorite was! I was so close (3 out of 5 again), but unfortunately this is neither horseshoes nor hand grenades.

As much as I like the steel lathering bowl and fish spoon, I'll choose the lidded bowl with the Arko stick. I need a lidded bowl that size and I'd like to send a shave stick to my dad to try out.

Thanks a million to Noctilux for the awesome PIF. This was a great idea for a contest, and very generous as well!

Thanks, Captain C. Well played!

And a big thanks to Noctilux! I learned quite a bit, not having been too familiar with Bruckner.

Sorry for my absence, busy day...

Wow, this is the PIF that keeps paying it forward! I guess I'll go with the SE then. A consolation consolation prize, how cool! Thanks for the extra fun and extra generous PIF!

for the "eroica", just get everything furtwängler ever recorded, sit back and discover the meaning of life.

proxy.php

when you are done, you must also check out what erich kleiber has to offer...

proxy.php

for the apotheosis symphony, again, furtwängler is the man, but ...

after careful comparison and, in spite of less-than-perfect audio engineering, i have to give the nod to eugen jochum (pronounced oy-gen yo-come, rhymes with dwight yoakam)...

proxy.php

(this is a very affordable box set of all the symphonies)

then there is an audiophile spectacular. a great interpretation but the main point here is to listen the way you would to a black sabbath album, with whiskey in hand and the volume way up:

proxy.php

vuk.

Last edited:
Must resist music acquisition disorder...

There's enough music in this thread that seems to fall within my tastes to keep me busy for a long time.

What a great way to draw attention to some masterful music that will endure for centuries more. :)

Must resist music acquisition disorder...

if it helps, i own roughly 30 versions of the beethoven 3 (LP+CD). think of it this way. 200 years ago, working class chumps like us would have never had a listen in our lifetime. now, for a less than an hour's wage, we can live like a king in the comfort of our own home.

vuk.

Years ago, I was surprised that anyone would own more than one CD of the same symphony, but I quickly learned how different they could be. With all the recordings available today, we can indeed enjoy greater music performances than even royalty could not so long ago, one after the other, at a moment's notice. Nothing beats a live orchestra, but greats like Furtwangler and Klemperer aren't exactly conducting live orchestras anymore, so these recordings are like gold!

UPDATE

the winner and consolation prizes went out today. i chose air mail to make sure this didn't take 3 weeks. the consolation consolation will go out in a couple of days--i have to hit up the tap phong trading company and grab an extra bonus.

thank you very much for participating and all the positive sentiment. i do feel redeemed.

vuk.

Top Bottom