What's new

PIF: musical redemption (bowls, bank, spoon and sample)

i was in a very bad mood yesterday. riding in the city core, i cut through a little back alley to avoid risking death going down yonge street, as many cyclists do. well, a policeman had set up "shop" there had already nabbed 2 fellow cyclist and motioned me over. the fine was $110 for going against a one way street. before he was done with me, he had flagged down two more. this is on the context of our new idiot mayor who is famous in his war on cyclists. the man is actually removing bicycle lanes!

anyhow, i drank way too much in an effort to forget about it last night and i was a bit careless with some postings. drinking and bad mood aside, i'm also often guilty of subtle jokes that can be interpreted the wrong way, especially since i don't use little smilies often enough. so, first off, my apologies to anyone i may have offended. second, i really appreciate this community and to help make amends for my bad boy status, i offer the following up as a PIF (shipped internationally).

#1 the main feature: V.K. Ontario of Harrogate hollow steel lathering bowl ("The Chef"), which generated piles of interest earlier in the week when i had one going on BST (brush not included--but you don;t really want it, trust me)...

proxy.php

#2 V.K. Ontario of Harrogate classic razor bank...

proxy.php

#3 V.K. Ontario of Harrogate "Luck Shave Fish" cream-scooping spoon; hand-craved by tibetan monks; ideal for getting out the right almond size for perfect lathering with the correct amount of water; i have also tossed in a sample of TOBS "avocado" cream--should be enough there for at least 5 shaves...

proxy.php

#4 will be a "surprise" variation on the lathering bowl in this picture (brush and chopstick NOT included in PIF):

proxy.php

the restrictions

over 99 total posts OR member before 2011 and over 49 posts OR persuade me to let you in the game ;-)

(Inverness11 entry is OK -- he posted before i put this up these conditions)

the game

several years ago, a famous music critic was interviewed on our national classical/jazz radio station (CBC 2) and he referred to the piece about to be performed as "the apotheosis of the austro-german symphonic tradition". i agreed! (1) i am looking for you to identify the piece AND (2) take a guess at my favourite symphony of all (i own about 30 versions of it on CD and LP). now, even if you don't know much about classical music, you still have a good shot here even playing randomly and perhaps with a bit of google help + logic. since the second part of the question, my favourite symphony, is tough without a hint, i'll offer this: you may find a tiny little clue to composer and/or work if you go through the various simpson brush names.

here are the composers to choose from:

Beethoven
Brahms
Bruckner
Haydn
Mahler
Mozart
Schubert

you will get 15 points for choosing the correct composer and then you will lose a point for every number you are off with the actual symphony. so if you say mahler 5th and it turns out to be mahler 8th, you would score 12 points. if you get the right symphony number, i will give you 2 bonus points and you'd end up with 17.

***IMPORTANT: one more thing, if you could please post your answers this way it will help me figure out the winner more easily using excel and some formulas:
composer1,symphony#,composer2,symphony#

for example: mozart,38,haydn,103

(of course, feel free to say more in your posting, just make sure the answer part is formatted properly)

btw--to keep the scoring logical, i will say that both answers are within the last 9 symphonies of the composer(s) in question ;-)

you are allowed to pick the same answer as someone else. if there is a tie, i'll work out some kind of showdown. winner will be announced at 10pm next saturday (the 24th of september).

cheers,
v.

p.s. winner has to promise to post detailed impressions of lathering with the two bowls.

Last edited:
Was it Jurgen Gothe who said this?
Ah never mind. Classical music is my Dad's thing. I only know what I heard around the house.

Nice PIF though.

Top Bottom