What's new

PIF: musical redemption (bowls, bank, spoon and sample)

chaps.

just a reminder: as of now, roughly one day left to play. winner to announced tomorrow (sept. 17) at 10pm.

vuk.

chaps--thanks for playing! i'm going to end this a couple of hours early because i have to make dinner and i don;t think we're going to get any more entries.

so, the answers were...

apotheosis of the german symphonic tradition:
bruckner 8th

my favourite symphony:
beethoven 3rd

the hint for this last one was a simpson brush name: "emperor" and here is the story:
In writing this symphony Beethoven had been thinking of [Naploeon] Buonaparte, but Buonaparte while he was First Consul. At that time Beethoven had the highest esteem for him and compared him to the greatest consuls of ancient Rome. Not only I, but many of Beethoven's closer friends, saw this symphony on his table, beautifully copied in manuscript, with the word "Buonaparte" inscribed at the very top of the title-page and "Ludwig van Beethoven" at the very bottom. …I was the first to tell him the news that Buonaparte had declared himself Emperor, whereupon he broke into a rage and exclaimed, "So he is no more than a common mortal! Now, too, he will tread under foot all the rights of man, indulge only his ambition; now he will think himself superior to all men, become a tyrant!" Beethoven went to the table, seized the top of the title-page, tore it in half and threw it on the floor. The page had to be re-copied and it was only now that the symphony received the title "Sinfonia eroica."

is suspect some guesses for the 5th were based on beethoven's 5th piano concerto being known as the "emperor concerto"

i have posted the scores below and there may be some dueling involved. as a first step, i want to make sure i have scored this correctly, so please do your own calculation and make sure it matches.

MAIN PRIZE
according to original rules:

17 - Captain Coconut
17 - Saxmore
13 - hotreds
13 - CaptainK
13 - TnutsShave
13 - Masterkova
9 - Mike H.
9 - CyberJCM
9 - Catalin
9 - buma
0 - Ibverness11
0 - the_ogre25
0 - Rqncho Unicorno
0 - saliavin

CONSOLATION PRIZE
according to these rules:

match your choice to the appropriate section and give yourself the "blue" points...

proxy.php

24 - Captain Coconut
24 - Ibverness11
21 - Masterkova
17 - Saxmore
16 - Mike H.
16 - Catalin
15 - CaptainK
15 - TnutsShave
14 - buma
10 - the_ogre25
9 - CyberJCM
9 - Rqncho Unicorno
8 - hotreds
0 - saliavin

time for me to go shave and cook! i will check back later tonight

cheers,
vuk.

I was pretty confident that I interpreted your brush clue correctly, but I'm slightly surprised that the majority guess of Mahler's 2nd was wrong, especially with the hint (or red herring) that both answers were "within the last 9 symphonies of the composer(s) in question" :001_unsur

So, about this showdown...

Last edited:
chaps.

dinner is ready, i'm about to eat, but just popped in to say: please check back in around 11pm for an update and, hopefully, the showdown questions ;-)

cheers,
vuk.

1st prize showdown: captain coconut vs. saxmore

which 20th century conductor (dead or alive) would you select to perform the two top choices (bruckner 8, beethoven 3)? both works are on the same card (i don't want a different conductor for each work, just one to do both--there is only one ;-)

give me 5 ranked choices, so we don't have to settle ties again.

consolation showdown: captain coconut vs. ibverness11

all 3 of my favourite operas are austro-german (both composer and language) and each one is by a different composer. list 10 operas in an attempt to identify the works in question.

you may either post here directly and attempt to intimidate your opponent by playing first or PM the answer to me (if you do that, please let us know in the thread).

good luck!

vuk.

Last edited:
but I'm slightly surprised that the majority guess of Mahler's 2nd was wrong, especially with the hint (or red herring) that both answers were "within the last 9 symphonies of the composer(s) in question"

oh, that's a subtle one. well spotted, but not what i had in mind. i just didn't want people guessing haydn 55 and possibly getting negative scores ;-) keeping to the last nine made the system more even-handed. 9 is indeed a special number in this context.

v.

Wagner - Tannhäuser
Wagner - Tristan und Isolde
Wagner - Lohengrin
Wagner - Die Walküre
R. Strauss - Salome
Strauss II - Die Fledermaus
Weber - Der Freischütz
Mozart - Die Zauberflöte
Mozart - Die Entführung aus dem Serail

and... more Wagner! Richard Wagner ist wunderbar! :001_tt1:

Wagner - Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg

Thanks for a neat contest, this is fun!

I was about to PM this, but since Inverness posted his publicly, I'll do the same.

My guesses are:
Die Walkure
Tristan und Isolde
Parsifal
Die Zauberflote
Elektra
Salome
Tannhauser
Der Rosenkavalier
Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
Lohengrin

Thanks for the great PIF, and thanks to my worthy opponents for helping make this so fun!

With such good guesses for my original answer, and tied for the lead for both the 1st prize and consolation prize, I have to admit I'll be mildly disappointed but not entirely surprised if I fail to win either one in the end. Good luck gentlemen!

captain coconut:

your entries were so good, i would never let you go away without a decent prize in this! as it happens, you have at least secured the consolation prize. the 3 operas, in random order, were:

mozart - die zauberflöte
wagner - siegfried
strauss - der rosenkavalier

you got 2, Inverness11 had one, though he did put up a brave fight and i am going to have to send him something too, no matter how this turns out for these unexpected, brilliant entries (operas i also love): "weber - der freischütz + mozart - die entführung aus dem serail". he is surely kicking himself for all that wagner, yet leaving out siegfried. ;-)

vuk.

Well gents, It's 2:45am, and I just got home from playing a gig myself. Sorry for causing any delay, and I just happy to have been able to play along :) My most intimidating response has been sent to Noctilux! Thanks for a fun an educational PIF :) Good luck Captain!

Sax

Last edited:
Top Bottom