What's new

PIF a Week #20: Bird Dog and Bird Brass Paperweight

I've been puzzling over what to PIF for the Shooting Sports sub-forum and then I ran across an old hunting scene paperweight that I've owned for years. It's a lovely, solid little piece of art and belongs somewhere and with someone who'll enjoy it.

The PIF is open to anyone, but extra chances will be given to anyone who owns a bird dog and posts a picture of that dog. A slightly larger preference given to those pictures that show both bird and dog. Just state that you're in, post a pic if you have one and at the very least, tell us a little about your bird dog or a bird dog you've known. Winners will be chosen on Sunday.

Here's some pics. If anyone knows anything about the name on the paperweight, then please share:

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

Mods, if this belongs in a different forum (like Great Outdoors), then please move.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Great idea on PIF. It would be great to get something going here.

Before I clicked on the thread I thought it might be a setter. If it was an English Pointer I'd be in, but never had a setter...I did quail instead of waterfowl.

I do have many stories about Joe and Judy, Dad's pointers from the '60s...from when I was a kid and carrying a BB gun walking with Dad for miles and miles and miles on my Uncle's ranch, until I got my Ithaca 20 gauge.

And then there is Jake, a pointer I had a great trainer work with, and Jake had even been to North Dakota hunting pheasants during his training. Damn good hunting dog. I hunted with him while carrying my late Dad's Belgium Browning Sweet Sixteen. Tore my heart out when he died.

But that's another story.

Losing our dogs is hard, but when they're also our hunting partners, it's heart breaking. Not sure I'll even be able to replace mine when she goes.

I'm in! Nice piece of art. I can't locate the field shots at the moment, but here's one of Annie (English Setter) I just took. Sorry for the poor photo from the iPad.

She's pointed pheasants, ruffed grouse, and sharptailed grouse so far this fall.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 95
The winner of this PIF is ....Annie. Seriously. Who can resist that face.

Padre, send me Annie's shipping address and I'll send it out to her this week.

mark

Could not resist posting a photo of Winnie loving what she does best.
Sunday was only 8 degrees but did not slow her down retrieving 6 pheasants
With respect,
Mooster$image.jpg

Well, it's been over two years since this PIF. I thought I'd update with what I finally did with it.

$IMG_1488.jpg$IMG_1489.jpg$IMG_1490.jpg

I started with the size of the brass piece so that it would fit proportionately. Then built the box using quarter-sawn white oak and walnut. I built it deep enough to accomodate J Herbin ink bottles and some fountain pens. Or maybe for straight razors. Or maybe to store the 40 years of hunting/fishing licenses and habitat/duck/trout stamps I've collected.

Top Bottom