What's new

Pictures - how a ceramic lather bowl is made

A fun trick is to google "lather bowl." Try it and you will see ours as one of the very top hits worldwide. Because of this, I thought you all would enjoy seeing the steps that go into making our lather bowls. As you will see, they are created one at a time by hand.

After the bowls are formed on the wheel they go into the kiln for what is referred to as a "bisque firing." This hardens them and vaporizes any moisture so the surfaces will be ready to be glazed. Next, they are removed from the kiln, are cooled and then wiped down to eliminate any minor rough spots. They are then dipped into the glaze and are ready to be fired the final time.

Stay tuned to this thread. I hope to have some more pictures that take you through the end of the process.

Each ball of clay is weighed to ensure uniform size. (Note the scale in the background.) Then it is rolled back and forth by hand to eliminate any small air pockets and literally align the molecules of clay.

IMG_0033.jpg

The ball is centered on the wheel and the process of forming the bowl begins.

IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0043.jpg

The grooves in the bottom of our bowls are literally formed by gently pressing a finger into the clay as the bowl spins. Once it is formed and within closely measured parameters it is removed from the wheel by running a wire underneath as seen here.

IMG_0047.jpg

Next it is time for our signature thumb rest to be created and affixed. The stamp can just be seen in hand on the far left.

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

At this point all the bowls go into the kiln for the bisque firing. When they come out here is what they look like on the very bottom row. The darker ones have had their bisque firing and already been dipped into the glaze. Look carefully and you will see white ones on the middle shelf with cross hatched lines on them - these will be Blue Sky once they are fired again. The buckets underneath are all of the different glazes the bowls are dipped into. Those are our large bowls on the very top shelf.

IMG_0032.jpg

Now it is on to the glazing step. Each bowl is lowered into a bucket of thoroughly stirred glaze since it can settle quickly. The bowls are pulled out and set to dry. These bowls in the picture will be our Magma colored bowls and will next receive their stripes across the surface.

You will note that as it comes out of the bucket there is an outer ring on the bottom that does not have glaze on it. This outer ring is treated with wax to prevent the glaze from penetrating the bowl. This outer ring is what touches the countertop since the interior is recessed. This is common in pottery to ensure the bowl sits flat on the counter. If there is no outer raised ring then the bowl will most assuredly wobble since one spot on the bottom will be just a bit higher than elsewhere.

IMG_0089.jpg

Then the bowls are set to dry.

IMG_0090.jpg

How about THAT?

Remember, check back in a week or two for the next steps...

~ The Captain

Are you serious? I imagined a huge machine run by a computer that is run by a single junior engineer somewhere in Shenzhen.

That is a beautiful looking process for beautiful bowls!

Are you serious? I imagined a huge machine run by a computer that is run by a single junior engineer somewhere in Shenzhen.

That is a beautiful looking process for beautiful bowls!

Actually they are proudly made right here in the USA.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures showing the final firing with the glaze. And fired they are - can you say 2,300 degrees? Yeow!

This one is with the lather bowls having gone through the bisque firing and then being dipped into the glaze. Look closely, all of these have been dipped in the glaze and are different colors or very nearly still white.

IMG_0696.jpeg

Now here is the same shot of the exact same lather bowls AFTER the firing. Take a look at which bowls changed into which colors. The white bowls became our Cayenne colored bowls (how odd!), the ones being held by hand became Rawhide, and the darker brown with stripes on the left became our Magma bowls.

IMG_0701.jpeg

Here is a shot of Rawhide, Sandstorm, Tempest, and Cobalt bowls being removed from the kiln.

IMG_0702.jpeg

This shows how closely spaced all the shelves are - packed tight!

IMG_0698.jpeg

Lather bowls as far as the eye can see!

IMG_0697.jpeg

I hope you all enjoyed this behind the scenes look at the effort that goes into making our bowls just right. Thanks to each of you for being customers of ours, it is much appreciated!

~ The Captain

Last edited:
Wow! Each one is hand made one at a time? I really had no idea.

Yep, one at a time by a real person - no mass production here!

One thing I was not aware of at the beginning was that there are two types of pottery companies. One is "artistic" and the other is referred to as "production." So either an artistic company or a production company, never the twain shall meet. Artistic potters look down their noses a bit at those that are production potters as having "sold out" somewhat. Production potters usually sigh, roll their eyes and go about business.

Every single bowl is slightly different making them one of a kind which adds to their appeal. Made in America and making a difference here in the States is our goal.

Are they all made by the same one person? Or several persons?

The best way to answer it is that we work with a company that cranks them out for us. The company works within very tight parameters that we give them to ensure that no matter who is making them, the bowls meet our weight and dimensions that our customers expect.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m consistently blown away by your business acumen. It’s really great that you share the production aspect of your business with us. If anyone has their doubts about your products they need only view the process here. Folks arn’t just buying a good product, they are buying a promise of quality and service. Something that is lost on many artisans.

Top Bottom