What's new

People with coarse hair, which razors under $70 do you like best?

I have thick, black stubble on light olive skin and my favorite razors under $70 are the Rockwell 6C (on plate 6) and merkur progress.

The 6C is in my travel kit and the 6S at home.

I have very coarse hair. My best-performing razors are:

- RR Game Changer 68
- RR SLOC
- Fatip Gentile
- RR Game Changer 84
I've been really interested in the SLOC after seeing the price. Would you mind ranking the 4 razors you mentioned by efficiency and by aggressiveness? I know that the SLOC is on the milder side but I haven't gotten any indication on its efficiency relative to other razors.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

As someone with sensitive skin and coarse hair, the GC .84 and Fatip just weren't efficient enough for me.

The PAA Ascension in stainless has perfectly satisfied me.

The Ascension Twist-Adjustable Double Open Comb Safety Razor - CNC Machined | 316L Stainless Steel

It floats under the radar here and I can't figure out why. Shaves better than razors many times its price.
The PAA Ascension looks nice. It's a little out of my budget though so I'll have to wait for a Black Friday sale for it to be more budget-friendly.

I have thick, black stubble on light olive skin and my favorite razors under $70 are the Rockwell 6C (on plate 6) and merkur progress.

The 6C is in my travel kit and the 6S at home.

Does the 6S ever drop close to $70? I've been eying that for a while, but at $100 it's more money than I want to spend right now and the 6C wouldn't feel as good knowing I could have gotten the 6S instead.

I normally shave every 3 days but it's not that uncommon for me to go 6-10 days between shaves ...
Right there is the best reason for you to get an open comb razor.
They are not necessarily more aggressive than a guard bar razor, but they are terrific for long growth. You could shave the ZZ Top guys even without a pre-cut with clippers.
Guard bars are for lawnmowers.
proxy.php

Open Combs are for hay mowers.
Check out the raised sickle bars on these vintage hay mowers:
proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just watched a video where KevyShaves's face was dinged up pretty badly by the Fatip OC. I'm a little intimidated by it now.

I felt the same way about them, until I used one. My first shave with my Grande below.

Exactly. It is just a razor after all, but what a razor it is.

img_2064_02-jpg.823445

I started right side mid ear at the base of my side burn and as soon as the razor moved, I knew. That single stroke went right to the bottom of my neck as did all other strokes as I worked my way across my face.

Effortless full length strokes.

It only got easier and better from there.

I found mine so smooth and so easy to use that on my 7th shave with it, I started shaving directly ATG first pass at 48 hours growth.

Post #84 here: My Grande Journey

I dont find mine difficult to use at all and the newer ones, as I understand it, have slightly wider caps to make them even more user friendly. I've been shaving directly ATG first pass with several different razors for almost 2 years now.

Given the right design, maximum blade support and generous blade exposure, its actually pretty easy with the right blade for you. The only time my Grande has made me bleed has been through a fault of my own, a weakness in my technique. Fatips are very easy to use because they're very predictable.

Keep in mind I also have coarse and dense growth. I've moved to GEM SE razors because they're even smoother, more comfortable and more gentle on my skin. The GEM MMOC is a lot more intimidating than a Fatip. They can be had for as little as $10. Dont let the Jaws like appearance scare you.

IMG_2731.jpg IMG_2732.jpg

I didnt record my last shave here, but it was Monday evening or night. I dont remember.

MMOC/PTFE for its 4th shave.

WK.

Maggard Synthetic.

~100 hours since last shave. I dont think it would matter if it was around 200 hours.

Single buffing pass ATG. One clean up. The MMOC is all business and this was business as usual.

Nice comfy BBS. What more could be asked for.

A razor is just another tool. Find the right tool for the job you're giving it and when you learn to use it properly, you'll be rewarded.

Coarse hair, start off with a sharp blade such as a Lab Blue, Kai or Feather.

I have a large collection but a lot of razors would fit the bill under $70.00.

Razors under $70.00 I find that work best with a coarse beard utilizing a sharp blade include the Old Type, Mark II, Game Changers, Super 84 and Slim.

I've been really interested in the SLOC after seeing the price. Would you mind ranking the 4 razors you mentioned by efficiency and by aggressiveness? I know that the SLOC is on the milder side but I haven't gotten any indication on its efficiency relative to other razors.

So by efficiency, I think the order is:

GC84
SLOC
Fatip
GC68

By aggressiveness (the amount of blade feel and potential for drawing blood):

GC84
Fatip
SLOC
GC68

Keep in mind that none of these are uber aggressive and any of them make great daily use razors.

For me, the GC68 and SLOC make the best combo of efficiency, smoothness (you can barely feel the blade and razor glides over face) and lack of aggression. The Fatip and GC84 have become once-in-a-while razors for me.

I have the Tatara Masamune on the way and will also get a Lupo. Both are supposedly mild to mid-aggressive and ultra smooth. Once I have a nice stable of those kinds of razors, I will sell all my aggressive ones (Fatips, GC84 etc).

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By the time it's getting 10 days or so it's hard to beat a straight razor, they rejoice at this kind of work. Next in line I'd be aiming for a Gem Micromatic or 1912, then open comb vintage Gillette. If I have to remove a lot of growth with a Superspeed I'll attack it with clippers first.

Ι have a coarse, thick beard and i like aggressive razors and Sharp blades. My personal choise is the Merkur Futur! First Pass at #6, and then #5 and #4 for the Last and always BBS!

I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin. I have a variety of razors ranging from the very mild VDH/Weishi TTO to the aggressive Muhle R41. I can get a great shave with any one of them AS LONG AS I PAIR IT WITH THE RIGHT BLADE. For mild razors, I prefer the very sharpest blades available. For the most aggressive razors, I prefer mid-sharp blades to avoid irritation. If you have a coarse beard, forget about using less sharp blades like Derby Extra, Shark SC, Merkur, VDH, and several others. I can use an Astra SP blade in an aggressive razor, but I prefer even sharper blades.

Your Merkur Futur is an adjustable razor that should go from moderate to aggressive. If you are getting irritation with your ATG pass, there are several options: 1. Skip the ATG pass and use another XTG pass. 2. Use a lower setting on the Futur when going ATG. 3. Use a less sharp blade in the razor.

You did not mention your pre-shave routine, not your choice of soaps. For coarse beards, it is imperative that your beard be clean and hydrated before the shave. That reduces the tensile strength of your beard hairs and makes them easier to sever. Likewise, an excellent shave soap will protect your skin from the blade and condition your skin afterward to reduce irritation. Do not underestimate the importance of these factors.

Just watched a video where KevyShaves's face was dinged up pretty badly by the Fatip OC. I'm a little intimidated by it now.
That would reflect on how he shaves rather than the razor being a problem. I noticed he repeats strokes over very much the same area, i.e. a lot of overlap; very poor technique. The Mk2 Fatip is a good razor and an improvement on the Mk1.

That would reflect on how he shaves rather than the razor being a problem. I noticed he repeats strokes over very much the same area, i.e. a lot of overlap; very poor technique. The Mk2 Fatip is a good razor and an improvement on the Mk1.
That's why I'm scared haha. My Futur has me questioning my technique and I'm feeling pessimistic about my ability to use something as aggressive as the Fatip. Entirely my fault, not the razor's.

Fatip OC is a great little razor with a matched blade. There is a lot of blade feel and it can give a very smooth shave. I went from a Gillette Tech to the Fatip and havent looked back.The only issue I have is with blade alignment. Most of the time the blade lines up ok but you have to be careful and check it. MY OCD wants me to buy another razor thats like the Fatip but without the alignment worries. Hence my interest in this thread.

The Razorock Gamechanger .84 Jaws is an excellent bang for the buck razor. I would recommend the Lupo also as it’s quite nice but not as efficient. The blade alignment issue with the Fatip is very annoying and why I don’t use it much.

Does the 6S ever drop close to $70? I've been eying that for a while, but at $100 it's more money than I want to spend right now and the 6C wouldn't feel as good knowing I could have gotten the 6S instead.

I'm sorry I can't answer this because I live outside the US so I paid the full price for the 6S and the 6C.
I have heard they offer great deals around black friday. I think the 6S was $80 last year if I remember correctly.

I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin. I have a variety of razors ranging from the very mild VDH/Weishi TTO to the aggressive Muhle R41. I can get a great shave with any one of them AS LONG AS I PAIR IT WITH THE RIGHT BLADE. For mild razors, I prefer the very sharpest blades available. For the most aggressive razors, I prefer mid-sharp blades to avoid irritation. If you have a coarse beard, forget about using less sharp blades like Derby Extra, Shark SC, Merkur, VDH, and several others. I can use an Astra SP blade in an aggressive razor, but I prefer even sharper blades.

Your Merkur Futur is an adjustable razor that should go from moderate to aggressive. If you are getting irritation with your ATG pass, there are several options: 1. Skip the ATG pass and use another XTG pass. 2. Use a lower setting on the Futur when going ATG. 3. Use a less sharp blade in the razor.

You did not mention your pre-shave routine, not your choice of soaps. For coarse beards, it is imperative that your beard be clean and hydrated before the shave. That reduces the tensile strength of your beard hairs and makes them easier to sever. Likewise, an excellent shave soap will protect your skin from the blade and condition your skin afterward to reduce irritation. Do not underestimate the importance of these factors.
My preshave routine is shower, wet beard, and apply Proraso Green preshave cream. That's about it. The shaving creams I have are TOBS Sandalwood, Jermyn Street, and Peppermint. The blade I use is Feather. I have a 100 pack so I'm stuck with them for a while. So far I've used maybe 20 in the last 8 months. Pass 1 with the grain, pass 2 across the grain, pass 3 against the grain. For my post shave I use Thayers witch hazel, Trumpers sandalwood skin food, and Pre de Provence aftershave balm.

I'm sorry I can't answer this because I live outside the US so I paid the full price for the 6S and the 6C.
I have heard they offer great deals around black friday. I think the 6S was $80 last year if I remember correctly.
That's worth considering then. Out of curiosity, do you use more than one setting on the 6S? Another fear I have is paying for another adjustable only to use setting 6 and ignore all others.

Top Bottom