What's new

People with coarse hair, which razors under $70 do you like best?

I normally shave every 3 days but it's not that uncommon for me to go 6-10 days between shaves (forgive me for I have sinned). I also have black hair on tan skin so even a DFS looks like I have shadow after I pat my face dry and after 2 days of growth I start getting jokes from my friends and colleagues that I've been letting myself go.

I'm in the market for a new razor since my Futur lifts my coarse whiskers on the 3rd pass (ATG) before slicing through them and that feels very uncomfortable. Maybe it's just bad technique on my part. I figured I would go for something that is efficient like my Futur but more comfortable. That being said, after browsing a few threads, the razor I have in mind is the Razorock Game Changer .84 OC. Before I buy it though I wanted to get an idea of what else is out there in the market since I'm not very knowledgeable in this area and I was hoping you fine ladies and gentlemen could help me out.

As stated in the title I am comfortable spending at most $70 but under $60 is preferable unless a $70 razor shaves better than its price indicates.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Game changer jaws would fit the bill perfectly. I like it even more than my gc84. Somehow it’s smoother and more aggressive. I love it.

Game changer jaws would fit the bill perfectly. I like it even more than my gc84. Somehow it’s smoother and more aggressive. I love it.
That and the OC are the two I had my eyes on. Since I haven't used open combs before, I was leaning towards the OC over the Jaws, but the attractive part of the Jaws is that it's almost the same level of comfort with more efficiency at a cheaper price tag.

Consider the Fatip open comb (Piccolo or Grande version) for a good all brass razor; it has a lot of blade exposure and gives a great shave. It is the blade that does the cutting so try a GSB or Astra SP in the razor.

I normally shave every 3 days but it's not that uncommon for me to go 6-10 days between shaves (forgive me for I have sinned). I also have black hair on tan skin so even a DFS looks like I have shadow after I pat my face dry and after 2 days of growth I start getting jokes from my friends and colleagues that I've been letting myself go.

I'm in the market for a new razor since my Futur lifts my coarse whiskers on the 3rd pass (ATG) before slicing through them and that feels very uncomfortable. Maybe it's just bad technique on my part. I figured I would go for something that is efficient like my Futur but more comfortable. That being said, after browsing a few threads, the razor I have in mind is the Razorock Game Changer .84 OC. Before I buy it though I wanted to get an idea of what else is out there in the market since I'm not very knowledgeable in this area and I was hoping you fine ladies and gentlemen could help me out.

As stated in the title I am comfortable spending at most $70 but under $60 is preferable unless a $70 razor shaves better than its price indicates.

I’ve heard great things about the Game Changer .84 and am looking to get one myself. I can vouch for The Beast the Muhle R41. It has given me some great shaves and has a clear spot in my top 5. I myself am a shaver that goes 3-4 days between shaves and l at times even up to a week like yourself.

My R41 was one of my first purchases when I got into Wet Shaving and the price recently has come down for the razor. It used to be around $54.00 and many places you can get it for around $35.00 or a bit more.

With your tough beard growth you’ll love it paired with a smooth and sharp razor like a Pol Silver or Kai. Even a Feather provides a great shave but as always with any razor you don’t want to rush it.

I would look into an R41 as a possible option for a great razor in the price range your looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Before I buy it though I wanted to get an idea of what else is out there in the market since I'm not very knowledgeable in this area and I was hoping you fine ladies and gentlemen could help me out.

Consider the Fatip open comb (Piccolo or Grande version) for a good all brass razor; it has a lot of blade exposure and gives a great shave.

index.jpg

Fatip Piccolo Special Edition Nickel Finish DE Safety Razor, Includes Two Heads | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

The Special Edition comes with both OC and Gentile bases. It might be the last razor you ever buy.

Everyone's different so I'm not sure how helpful someone else's opinion can be. But since I have whiskers similar to yours, I'll post my preferences.

My favorite razor is one I stumbled upon in an antique store. It was made for just one year in 1912 and sold in 1913, the Mark Cross. Since the original blade is no longer made, I break a DE in half and line up the edges one behind the other to give it a look similar to a two blade cartridge razor. Then this single edge double-blade can be moved forward or back to suit one's preferences. All the way back, so there's maximum space before the blade guard produces a super mild shave. I run it the opposite way, with the double-blade right up against the blade guard, which renders it super aggressive. At the same time, it's nimble and really comfortable. It's a bit of a pain to load the blades but, once loaded, no other razor comes close to matching its performance.

My second favorite is my Charcoal Goods Level 3 (SB) loaded with a Feather blade. Brian Twilley, the razor's creator, advised that he prefers the Astra blade for the CGL3 and that he doesn't think it works well with a Feather. For me it runs best with the Feather and seems to need the super sharpness to take it to its peak efficiency. Used that way it's almost as effective as the Mark Cross set up to run in its most efficient configuration.

The CGL3's equal in terms of performance for me is the Wolfman WR1 .94 (SB). Mine was borrowed from James (@loot) and it was a beauty. Given its cost and the fact that I already have a CGL3, I've not tried to acquire my own. Plus I personally prefer the styling of the CGL3, though this is of course an aesthetic sort of preference with no right or wrong to it. The Wolfman is brought to a sheen that's out of this world. The CGL3 in copper (the particular generation I have) is so elegant. And if you can find a Mark Cross in good condition, triple plated in silver as it is, you'll have another real looker.

My most efficient razor, just slightly edging out the Mark Cross (when set to run that way) but not nearly as comfortable or nimble, is the Ikon Tech. It's a razor that if not used with good technique will take your face off. But with a few days beard growth, it's sure to do the job. I don't use it much anymore because the Mark Cross does the same job in a far more comfortable and nimble manner.

For now, the Mark Cross remains a bargain. Because I'm the only one bleating about its virtues and I'm no one in particular, though fairly rare there's no market for them and they tend to languish. I have two. The first one I picked up in the antique store for $20 (tax included). They backed down the price to $18 and change to match my offer. The second one was listed for $75 on ebay. I offered $20 and we negotiated, eventually settling on $40. I was willing to pay that price because I wanted a second and it seemed reasonable given the cost of a Wolfman or a CGL3. Of the two I own, it's far less pretty. But it works fine.

If you go for a Mark Cross, be careful about one thing. The blade is held by compression so it's important to find one that's been treated well. If the metal fatigues, it may not hold the blade tight. Keep in mind we're talking about an almost 108 year old razor.

I’ve heard great things about the Game Changer .84 and am looking to get one myself. I can vouch for The Beast the Muhle R41. It has given me some great shaves and has a clear spot in my top 5. I myself am a shaver that goes 3-4 days between shaves and l at times even up to a week like yourself.

My R41 was one of my first purchases when I got into Wet Shaving and the price recently has come down for the razor. It used to be around $54.00 and many places you can get it for around $35.00 or a bit more.

With your tough beard growth you’ll love it paired with a smooth and sharp razor like a Pol Silver or Kai. Even a Feather provides a great shave but as always with any razor you don’t want to rush it.

I would look into an R41 as a possible option for a great razor in the price range your looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought about getting an R41 but I heard it was more aggressive than my Futur on setting 6. I'm looking for something milder but still as efficient since my technique probably could use some improving.

Consider the Fatip open comb (Piccolo or Grande version) for a good all brass razor; it has a lot of blade exposure and gives a great shave. It is the blade that does the cutting so try a GSB or Astra SP in the razor.
Thanks for the suggestion. At $25 it's very attractive. I'll keep it near the top of my list.

Everyone's different so I'm not sure how helpful someone else's opinion can be. But since I have whiskers similar to yours, I'll post my preferences.

My favorite razor is one I stumbled upon in an antique store. It was made for just one year in 1912 and sold in 1913, the Mark Cross. Since the original blade is no longer made, I break a DE in half and line up the edges one behind the other to give it a look similar to a two blade cartridge razor. Then this single edge double-blade can be moved forward or back to suit one's preferences. All the way back, so there's maximum space before the blade guard produces a super mild shave. I run it the opposite way, with the double-blade right up against the blade guard, which renders it super aggressive. At the same time, it's nimble and really comfortable. It's a bit of a pain to load the blades but, once loaded, no other razor comes close to matching its performance.

My second favorite is my Charcoal Goods Level 3 (SB) loaded with a Feather blade. Brian Twilley, the razor's creator, advised that he prefers the Astra blade for the CGL3 and that he doesn't think it works well with a Feather. For me it runs best with the Feather and seems to need the super sharpness to take it to its peak efficiency. Used that way it's almost as effective as the Mark Cross set up to run in its most efficient configuration.

The CGL3's equal in terms of performance for me is the Wolfman WR1 .94 (SB). Mine was borrowed from James (@loot) and it was a beauty. Given its cost and the fact that I already have a CGL3, I've not tried to acquire my own. Plus I personally prefer the styling of the CGL3, though this is of course an aesthetic sort of preference with no right or wrong to it. The Wolfman is brought to a sheen that's out of this world. The CGL3 in copper (the particular generation I have) is so elegant. And if you can find a Mark Cross in good condition, triple plated in silver as it is, you'll have another real looker.

My most efficient razor, just slightly edging out the Mark Cross (when set to run that way) but not nearly as comfortable or nimble, is the Ikon Tech. It's a razor that if not used with good technique will take your face off. But with a few days beard growth, it's sure to do the job. I don't use it much anymore because the Mark Cross does the same job in a far more comfortable and nimble manner.

For now, the Mark Cross remains a bargain. Because I'm the only one bleating about its virtues and I'm no one in particular, though fairly rare there's no market for them and they tend to languish. I have two. The first one I picked up in the antique store for $20 (tax included). They backed down the price to $18 and change to match my offer. The second one was listed for $75 on ebay. I offered $20 and we negotiated, eventually settling on $40. I was willing to pay that price because I wanted a second and it seemed reasonable given the cost of a Wolfman or a CGL3. Of the two I own, it's far less pretty. But it works fine.

If you go for a Mark Cross, be careful about one thing. The blade is held by compression so it's important to find one that's been treated well. If the metal fatigues, it may not hold the blade tight. Keep in mind we're talking about an almost 108 year old razor.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep them very close in mind when I'm ready to spend a little more than I'm currently budgeting since I plan to one day buy a very premium razor.

Based on your shaving schedule and Price point I would definitely recommend the GC .84 OC with a sharp blade.

The R41 buys me extra hrs smoothe it does such good job. And despite the reputation it's close to my smoothest and comfortable razor. It's hard to beat.

For vintage I'd recommend either a US 46 - 48 Aristocrat or 48 - 51 US Aristocrat. The 46- 48 is a more efficient and smooth shaver while the 48 - 51s are more aggressive. You should be able to find user grade ones for well under $70 as long as you stay away from complete sets that collectors pay higher dollars for to display and expensively worded listings with words like minty, N.O.S., rare, etc. on a certain auction site.

You can use this thread to be able to identify those razors in listings if you decide to go this route.
Gillette US Aristocrat TTO timeline

The other razor which will come in well under $70 as long as you keep away from the same things as above is a Gillette Slim Adjustable which should meet your requirements if you use it on the 6 or 7 setting or higher. The Super 84 and Super 109 will also get the job done on those settings but you'll be paying more for either on average than a Slim.

You're not the only one, I think I was the first to bleat, but the Enders Speed has replaced the Mark Cross as my recommendation. Why? The Mark Cross varies a lot in condition, not all are able to adequately clamp either an injector (my preference) or half DE. The Enders have no such problem. They are also ubiquitous, often under $10. And like the Mark Cross one can adjust for desired exposure with the Proline blade.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You're not the only one, I think I was the first to bleat, but the Enders Speed has replaced the Mark Cross as my recommendation. Why? The Mark Cross varies a lot in condition, not all are able to adequately clamp either an injector (my preference) or half DE. The Enders have no such problem. They are also ubiquitous, often under $10. And like the Mark Cross one can adjust for desired exposure with the Proline blade.

The Enders Speed? Not a razor I'm familiar with. Guess where I'm off to now . . .

IMG_20190902_174123.jpg
IMG_20190902_150603.jpg
The Enders Speed? Not a razor I'm familiar with. Guess where I'm off to now . . .
Buy one with a stock blade or two, the stock blade with the edge taken off serves as a shim clamping the Schick Proline in place.

Last edited:
I would look into an R41 as a possible option for a great razor in the price range....

+1! This was my first thought as well! :a14::a14:

I don’t have especially coarse whiskers, so the ‘BEAST’ is a bit much for me.

View attachment 1013534 View attachment 1013533 Buy one with a stock blade or two, the stock blade with the edge taken off serves as a shim clamping the Schick Proline in place.

Went online and ordered an Enders. Don't know if it comes with a blade. Was just $10 including shipping so I'll look forward to playing with it. For it to shine in my world, it will have to work with a DE blade broken in half. I don't like SEs generally because the blade choices are limited and expensive.

Top Bottom