What's new

Pellet grill as good grill/smoker combo?

I just moved across the country, and as part of the move, got rid of my grill. Now, with summer here, I'm missing having the ability to stick meat on top of a flame. I've been scratching my head, thinking about what I want in a grill/set of grills.

I've come down to three requirements:
Doesn't take a huge hullabaloo to get fired up and to temp - My old grill was a 4 burner propane. I had to fire it up, and by the time I went in and prepped the meat, it was ready to go. It doesn't need to be quite that efficient, but the idea of fussing with charcoal just to toss on a couple hot dogs isn't appealing.

Has the ability to smoke - I've never succeeded with smoking before. I've tried the contraptions for smoking on a propane grill, and they all led to horrible results. I'm willing to heed the advice to get a separate smoker if necessary, but I'd like a combo grill/smoker if possible.

Can impart good flavor on the meats - Propane grilled meats are good, but when the meat has wood/charcoal flavor imparted, it's even better.

I've seen two solutions that tick all the boxes. First is effectively a propane grill welded to a charcoal grill/smoker. You use the left hand grill to smoke or do charcoal. You use the right hand grill to do propane. Second is a pellet grill/smoker. This seems much more sensible. It's one grill, dial adjustable, quick to fire up, and isn't any more expensive than the hybrid grill.

Am I walking into a trap by assuming that the pellet grill can smoke meats as well? Any recommendations on brand or features to look for?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I dont have a pellet grill but a friend of mine does. It works really good for smoking but not so great at grilling. I think the issue is it has a hard time reaching high enough temps for searing/grilling. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in...

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That's a good looking grill/smoker. One question: when you smoke do you add wood to the pellets? I saw this model at a local Costco store but the vendor rep was nowhere to be found. The product literture did not say anything about it.

The pellets are wood.

Here's a review on the Pit Boss 820. They also make a Deluxe version. I would say the grilling real estate is small.

Having used pellet grills for almost two decades, I can tell you unequivocally, they perform great at slow, indirect cooking. They really don't perform well when hot, direct heat is required. They are, essentially, a wood-fired oven. So, anything you can do in an oven, you can do in/on a pellet grill/smoker. Cookies, pizza, bread, gratin, and of course, ribs, brisket, etc.

The problem is that the fire box is about the size of your fist. So even if you remove the heat deflector and cook directly over the flame (some grills have this feature) it's in a very small spot. It'd be like trying to cook a steak in the oven, even if you're right above the heating element. At best, a pellet grill might get 450 degrees - by the time your steak was seared, the inside would be shoe leather.

I could never do without two devices: A grill for hot and fast (steaks, chops, burgers, chicken, etc) and a smoker for indirect cooking (things that take an hour+ to cook).

Last edited:
I'd go for a small kamado grill like the acorn jr. Cheap, easy to start, fast heating, and can smoke or grill. That or stay with propane.

I could never do without two devices: A grill for hot and fast (steaks, chops, burgers, chicken, etc) and a smoker for indirect cooking (things that take an hour+ to cook).

Exactly. You really need two. I have a charcoal fueled barrel style grill/smoker. I also have a smallish table top Hibachi style propane grille for the wife and I for quick burgers etc.
While there is a small delay waiting for the charcoal to get going, btw I use a chimney starter, IMHO it's worth the wait.

Top Bottom