What's new

Weber kettle users

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@tm3 @Whisky , I completely agree that Kingsford is fine, as is lighter fluid when used properly.

I prefer B&B because it's a better product and value (less filler, less ash, less needed, longer lasting).

I also prefer the chimney starter because it just uses stuff I have around the house anyhow. I also like the way the briquettes or lump winds up lit.

Reactions: tm3
I’ve seen people do 2 things that make their food taste like lighter fluid. First they let the fluid soak into the briquettes for 5 minutes before lighting and second they douse the briquettes with about a quarter of the bottle. I don’t use lighter fluid often, but keep some handy if in case I don’t have time to use a chimney. A quick spritz and light. As long as I can’t smell it in the smoke I don’t have an issue with it making my food taste bad. I think the key is not using too much and keeping in on the outer layer of the briquettes so it burns off completely.
I bet you have nailed it. I put most of the lighter fluid on the wadded up newspaper that is in the bottom of the chimney, with a little bit on the charcoal, and I don't see any way in the world that could have an influence on the taste. At least, I can't taste it.
What are your favourite accessories for the kettle? Vortex? Slow n sear? I’m fixin to get myself a cast iron pizza pan.
For a cover I like the Classic Accessories brand on Amazon. It seems much heavier duty than the Weber brand cover.

The grilling surface has to be periodically cleaned/scraped, and I'm really paranoid about the grill brushes that have metal bristles. There are several hundred ER visits annually in the US due to ingested metal bristles perforating the esophagus or other part of the GI tract. I saw a case where the bristle made it all the way to the colon before perforating. I've tried the "bristle free" brushes that have the spring-looking thingies that do the scraping, and they are kind of so-so. What I like better is the CharGon scraper, again from Amazon.

Another accessory that I really like is the Weber char baskets. They make it easy to have food over a really hot part of the grill or over a relatively non hot part and I find that I rely on that feature a lot.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The grilling surface has to be periodically cleaned/scraped, and I'm really paranoid about the grill brushes that have metal bristles.
I’m the same way about the metal bristles. I’ve found if you spray the cooking grate with some type of oil, this is the only reason I have Pam in the house, it makes cleaning the grate much easier. I also scrape it right after I cook with a wide blade Sheetrock knife to knock the larger food pieces off of it while the grill is still hot.

I can't believe that I didn't mention my favorite accessory of all time: thermapen. Temperature regulation on the grill is important and gets a lot of discussion, but to me the real key to victory is knowing the temp of the food. Once I got the thermapen and started pulling steaks when the internal temp hit 130 as opposed to when I thought the temp was 130 my positive outcomes went up exponentially. I even now use the thermapen for baking, and the biscuits, muffins, and sourdough bread have never been better.

I also find a pair of welder's gloves handy to have around the grill.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I can't believe that I didn't mention my favorite accessory of all time: thermapen.

I don't consider that an accessory for the grill but more a necessity for proper cooking, indoors or outdoors. Well, I suppose I should say that about an instant read thermometer, and the Thermapen is an excellent upgrade.

Either/or.

A8E245DD-4FC9-494B-9481-0CE1B1663C6C.jpeg

I made some excellent pizza on the kettle today using a lodge cast iron pan. My last couple of attempts at kettle pizza were a fail. Using a regular thin steel pizza pan I would overcook and burn the dough very easily. With the cast iron it came out golden brown, perfect.

I made some excellent pizza on the kettle today using a lodge cast iron pan. My last couple of attempts at kettle pizza were a fail. Using a regular thin steel pizza pan I would overcook and burn the dough very easily. With the cast iron it came out golden brown, perfect.
How long and what temp roughly?

Hi, just finished reading all the posts on this thread...I have a 22" kettle that I've neglected for the past 6-8 months...but kids and wife are demanding steaks and burgers now that weather is getting better.

I'm planning on buying the KillaGrilla grates and the onlyfire 'whirlpool' (vortex clone)...any opinions on these two?

How long and what temp roughly?
here’s what I did;
I was careful with my temps considering I burned my last 2 attempts so I used a single Weber charcoal basket. Filled it halfway with lump, filled a Weber chimney about 1/3 and add that into the basket when fully lit. Lid thermometer was indicating 500 over the charcoal basket and 300 if I rotate the lid 180. Took about 20 minutes, rotated halfway for more even cooking. Came out great 👍 better then delivery!

here’s what I did;
I was careful with my temps considering I burned my last 2 attempts so I used a single Weber charcoal basket. Filled it halfway with lump, filled a Weber chimney about 1/3 and add that into the basket when fully lit. Lid thermometer was indicating 500 over the charcoal basket and 300 if I rotate the lid 180. Took about 20 minutes, rotated halfway for more even cooking. Came out great 👍 better then delivery!
I'll have to try that out. Thanks for sharing.

Lump charcoal is made of different size pieces that can cause its burn characteristics to be vastly different from one piece to another. Lump also tends to provide a little better flavor. Lump tends to burn hotter and faster.

Haven't read through the rest of the posts but if this hasn't been said yet....
Always sift through your lump charcoal. I kid you not, a lot of it is made from old building lumber.

We have found wires, nails and other things in our bags of Royal Oak lump.
If you use lump, keep an eye out for that.

I think onlyfire makes perfectly acceptable clones.
I have used many OnlyFire products. They work just as well as their more expensive counterparts. The Griddle is very good. I use it to make smashburgers. fits perfect in the 22" kettle.

Love our Weber. Recently bought the Weber grill replacement with the removable center piece. They sell various inserts - we got the flat cast iron insert - it’ great for loose items - vegetables, squid etc. I just build the fire away from the center as it gets really hot.
On a more ridiculous note, years ago we had a Weber stolen from the front of our place - while the coals were still hot.

I love the Weber Kettle. I'm using a Mastertouch. I do wish it had a side table though. I ended up purchasing a small folding table that works just fine. One thing I would recommend looking at is the Tip Top Temp. It's not a must-have item or anything but it really does help keep the temps solid for a long cook. I always use it for a 10+ hour cook. I like Maverick thermometers. Solid and reliable. I have other ones but the old Maverick wireless is my go-to.

For indirect heat, I've been using bricks from the exterior of the house. I don't much like the weber charcoal baskets. The bricks seem to work fine.

Now, for the pictures!
#1. The Tip Top Temp and Maverick thermometer. Didn't have the side table at this time.
#2. Spatchcocked Chicken. The exterior bricks for indirect heat.
#3. Ribs. Just cuz I like Ribs. They are ready to get the final layer of sauce and come off the grill.

zztiptoptemp.jpg

zzchicken.jpg

zzribs.jpg

Top Bottom