What's new

Weber kettle users

Hi, in your experience...do you feel the need to 'upgrade' to a smoker like WSM?
Never. Been there, done that. I've had an Oklahoma Joe's Bronco in the past. My kettles do everything it did, with the exception of hanging six chicken halves. I have built a 55-gallon drum smoker in the past as well. In my opinion, it was better than the Bronco but more than I need. I have two 22" kettles and a Smokey Joe, more than enough to feed the amount of people I cook for. I've also made and sold rings, or volumizers for 22" kettles that I made by cutting sections out of a 55-gallon drum, grinding the inside, painting the outside with exhaust manifold paint, and installed smoker gasket top and bottom. I offered them with the option of either an analog thermometer or a slotted probe grommet installed, and made them capable of handling 2 grates, thus doubling the volume of a WSM.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a 22 in. Weber kettle and a Weber Summit gas grill. I start my charcoal in a chimney that I put on the side burner of the gas grill. I use my kettle mostly for smoking and I have a "Smokenator" insert. I bought a cast iron 4 piece grate for the kettle, but didn't really care that much for it and went back to using the standard wire grates.

Last edited:
I have a 22 in. Weber kettle and a Weber Summit gas grill. I start my charcoal in a chimney that I put on the side burner of the gas grill. I use my kettle mostly for smoking and I have a "Smokenator" insert. I bought a cast iron 4 piece grate for the kettle, but didn't really care that much for it and went back to using the standard wire grates.
Good call on ditching the cast iron. It just gets too hot. There is a good reason why high end grills don't use them (yes there are some that do, I know).

I have a built-in natural gas grill for the basic grill stuff and a Weber Smokey Mountain 22" for smoking. Kingsford all the way in the smoker with a chimney lighter. Tried other brands but always go back to Kingsford. Smoked tri tip and ribs are among the family favorites but the all time favorite of anyone who knows me is smoked salmon. It is by far the most requested and I have to make a ton when i make it because everyone takes some home.

I have a built-in natural gas grill for the basic grill stuff and a Weber Smokey Mountain 22" for smoking. Kingsford all the way in the smoker with a chimney lighter. Tried other brands but always go back to Kingsford. Smoked tri tip and ribs are among the family favorites but the all time favorite of anyone who knows me is smoked salmon. It is by far the most requested and I have to make a ton when i make it because everyone takes some home.
I only use Kingsford but where I live it's getting hard to find. Seems everyone else uses it too!

I endorse the Kingsford briquettes also. You just can't beat how consistent they are...Kingsford is a product I don't mind paying a bit more for versus other brands. My Weber lineup...22"Performer kettle, 18" Smokey Joe, 14"Smokey Joe, Q1000 portable propane grill on a cart. A fella can't have too many Webers, and I enjoy cooking on every one of them.

I picked up the Weber Original Kettle 22-inch Limited Edition Premium Charcoal Grill in Red years back, and use pretty much only the Kingsford. I've got an old propane grill with a big cast iron plate that I use to make "smash burgers" for the family, and a Camp Chef pellet grill for most everything low and slow. The Kettle and Kingsford are my absolute favourite for t-bones and thick cut bone-in pork chops, get them close to temp, then reverse sear, awesome.

Cheers

I’ve got the 22 inch and use the slow n seer for off set. Lump charcoal with a few wood chunks. Some folks say lumps for chumps but no sir. Better ribs and butt can’t be found. Gotta have my lump and it ain’t for chumps

Top Bottom