What's new

Pearl Hammer All Brass CNC Razor.

I meant India release soon.

Screenshot_20230312_101926_WhatsApp.jpg

Just came in today the Hammer from Pearl. Awesome shipping & packaging from Maggard Razors. I also picked up The Four Horsemen a/s splash that was on clearance. As you can see, the Hammer comes in a very nice presentation box and is completely sealed which is a nice touch. Whether it’s from the factory manufacturer or Maggard themselves I can’t say but, it gives the feel that you’re getting a new and premium product. That’s a plus from me. I took a few pics so that those interested can see that though the packaging seems simple from the outside, Pearl actually put some thought into this presentation. Listen, I wasn’t expecting a world class type presentation a la Rocnel or Atelier Durdan but, for $44 this is a nice touch and it shows they take pride in their product and how they want it represented to the consumer market. Kudos to Pearl for going a bit extra as it shows they care. Complete razor, open comb base plate, washers, polishing cloth and a box of 10 blades as well as an instruction/care booklet and a thank you note. The razor has some weight and is substantial in hand. The pics don’t really tell the story but, the serrations on the handle feel to be deep enough to give good tactile feel and grip. Hopefully it carry’s over into the actual shave itself once it gets loaded up with soap and water. I’m not worried much about it though to be honest. I’ll line up a blade in it to see how well the blade is supported and aligned (or not) in a bit but, just wanted to post this for those that were curious on the Hammer.

Personally, for the cash layout, one gets a lot for their money. Unfortunately, it will be on the back burner for a bit as I’m not going to shave with it yet (Fixed Four Event) so, hopefully someone has one coming in and can get to the nitty-gritty if the Hammer lives to its namesake or is just another paper weight.

A few pics & details below.

E7FCA15B-8FD2-4C1A-8C8F-D42C5E4960E7.jpeg

67F24BB2-42FC-4636-B757-A809CAA03834.jpeg

AF40FB7A-6245-48C7-8F0C-DA969B4F3893.jpeg

45D53BB0-C401-42D4-B146-4659912B18E6.jpeg

2202223D-BD1D-4DBA-9B20-8A9E00D959E5.jpeg

995362D4-1F9D-419B-8D03-FAD8FE6D38BE.jpeg

Last edited:
A few pics for weight comparison and how the blade lines up in both base plates. It’s not a light razor but, it isn’t a behemoth neither. I don’t see a big gap nor a lot of exposure from either configuration. As you can see, the Hone Type 15 Brass is a much heavier and substantial in hand so, the Hammer is in the heavyweight class but, not overly so. Blade alignment and reveal is equal on both sides while the blade looks held firmly in place. Looking forward to giving the Hammer a run in the coming weeks.

07BE7749-465D-4577-B799-3BA25E9A82E8.jpeg

41D3C038-FFFC-4549-ABE9-02D90210B05F.jpeg

98DC6FF7-8A9C-4AB9-9703-A993CF0A2608.jpeg

5D1C5BA0-5195-4DD4-A469-F2082719DE6D.jpeg

81BF4890-2CC1-4877-91C1-F7742B7E2A6D.jpeg

62A3F379-DA42-4ABB-AD94-47E59F9E11D1.jpeg

0E4368D7-5DC9-40D5-B638-5A8FD665504E.jpeg

1CE80323-5E55-4B97-B22E-E3B7E31E4E2C.jpeg

0E6240E3-3D2A-4E05-A09C-02ECFC4A6305.jpeg

3195E969-2825-494D-BBFD-0735512C0014.jpeg

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
A few pics for weight comparison and how the blade lines up in both base plates. It’s not a light razor but, it isn’t a behemoth neither. I don’t see a big gap nor a lot of exposure from either configuration. As you can see, the Hone Type 15 Brass is a much heavier and substantial in hand so, the Hammer is in the heavyweight class but, not overly so. Blade alignment and reveal is equal on both sides while the blade looks held firmly in place. Looking forward to giving the Hammer a run in the coming weeks.

View attachment 1621228
View attachment 1621227
View attachment 1621229
View attachment 1621230
View attachment 1621231
View attachment 1621232
View attachment 1621233
View attachment 1621234
View attachment 1621235
View attachment 1621236
Very nice looking razor.

Yep, have one coming in also to try. My quick guess is that the cap & plate design seems very close to the Flexi. Strange that that do mention the blade gap on the Blaze, Flexi they state the range of the gaps. Nothing on this M. C. Hammer (lol). Naturally that is never close to the whole performance story but nice to at least list (& blade exposer) & start. I think it will shave close to one of the flexi settings, especially with the weight. Very nice price point for all solid brass, cnc'ed, 2 plates (w/ an O.C). Bet it would be a good daily drive for some that like to curl also. I think is big pearl marketing chance because of the heavy weight and length (pushing over 4 inches), this I believe will increase of the reluctance to try this puppy. Plus seems they are trying to target the beginner to mid level shavers, so states the there little write up . So to me, the weight and length seems like an oxymoron not even getting into the open comb. If they are targeting that crowd, go lighter, shorter, thinner heads, and better with two straight bar plates with a reasonable gap spread . We shall see...

Can't Touch This..
mc-hammer-1990.jpg

I am very tempted to pull the trigger just for the open comb but I will try to wait for some reviews to roll in.....

Yep, have one coming in also to try. My quick guess is that the cap & plate design seems very close to the Flexi. Strange that that do mention the blade gap on the Blaze, Flexi they state the range of the gaps. Nothing on this M. C. Hammer (lol). Naturally that is never close to the whole performance story but nice to at least list (& blade exposer) & start. I think it will shave close to one of the flexi settings, especially with the weight. Very nice price point for all solid brass, cnc'ed, 2 plates (w/ an O.C). Bet it would be a good daily drive for some that like to curl also. I think is big pearl marketing chance because of the heavy weight and length (pushing over 4 inches), this I believe will increase of the reluctance to try this puppy. Plus seems they are trying to target the beginner to mid level shavers, so states the there little write up . So to me, the weight and length seems like an oxymoron not even getting into the open comb. If they are targeting that crowd, go lighter, shorter, thinner heads, and better with two straight bar plates with a reasonable gap spread . We shall see...

Can't Touch This..
View attachment 1622193
But you CAN touch this !

PMFJI --

Maggard sells two brass razors by Pearl: "Blaze" and "Hammer". They're at the same price, and both made of brass.

Blade gap on the Blaze is 0.74 mm; blade gap on the Hammer is unspecified. The Hammer is heavier.

. . . Can anyone describe the differences (besides difference in handle and weight) between them ?

Thanks --

. Charles

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Just found this on Pearl's website about the Hammer razor:

Razor blade Gap: 0.745 to 80mm

Unfortunately, my razor did not arrive today. Will have to wait a little longer.

PMFJI --

Maggard sells two brass razors by Pearl: "Blaze" and "Hammer". They're at the same price, and both made of brass.

Blade gap on the Blaze is 0.74 mm; blade gap on the Hammer is unspecified. The Hammer is heavier.

. . . Can anyone describe the differences (besides difference in handle and weight) between them ?

Thanks --

. Charles
I ordered a hammer. should get it by tuesday. I read online that the blade gap of the pearl hammer is 0.80. I don't know if that is for the open comb or closed comb base plate or both. I also wanna know if the handle provides a good grip. It looks like it has knurling on it. how deep is the knurling is what I wanna know. I've only seen one review on youtube of the hammer.

this guy says the the closed comb plate is smooth and efficient and the open comb plate is obviously more aggressive than the closed comb plate. Being a 100% brass razor will last a lot longer than a zamak head de razor correct?

Top Bottom