What's new

Peanut Butter -- Savory Applications

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
In much of the "Western world," it seems we reserve peanut butter for sweet applications. Peanut butter cookies, sundaes, milkshakes, and candy. The classic PB&J. The now (in)famous Fluffernutter! Even more "adult" applications like coffee, beer, and whiskey are used in sweet concoctions. "Peanut butter" syrup is quite sweet, as is every "peanut butter" stout (or other beer) I've tried. Thankfully, I've yet to see a peanut butter whiskey Manhattan or Old Fashioned, but I figure those will be along soon enough (if they aren't already).

The rest of the world uses peanuts, peanut sauces, and peanut butter in delicious, savory ways that make many folks I know laugh dismissively or even shriek in shock or disgust. Frankly (as I don't have much of a sweet tooth), I've found far many more savory applications for peanut butter that I enjoy much more than the "classic" sweet ones I grew up with and see today. Give me a peanut dipping sauce, salad dressing, or soup any day at all.

I have seen glimpses of folks giving peanut butter a try in more creative ways, such as putting it on a hamburger (quite tasty). What are some of the savory peanut butter applications that you see or enjoy?

For a while, I was nearly addicted to the chunky peanut butter, sauteed onions, and sriracha sandwiches I was making at home. That might have to be my lunch sometime soon!

Peanut butter and bacon on toast is a family favorite for any meal. I’ve had a difficult time getting people to try it but nobody has ever said they didn’t like it and many become converts.

A charter boat captain in Curaçao made excellent chicken skewers with a peanut butter based glaze. It was a Dutch/Indonesian mash up and very tasty.

West African Peanut Stew

Ginger, Garlic, Onions, tomato, peanut butter, collard greens in a broth, topped with peanuts.

A whole lot of different flavors that all synergistically come together into a stew of deliciousness.

West African Peanut Stew

Ginger, Garlic, Onions, tomato, peanut butter, collard greens in a broth, topped with peanuts.

A whole lot of different flavors that all synergistically come together into a stew of deliciousness.

I'll commonly throw leftover chicken (or other) into a stew like this. With chilis.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
West African Peanut Stew

This for some reason sounds delicious, but some of the other ones have me freaking out!

Peanut butter and bacon on toast is a family favorite for any meal. I’ve had a difficult time getting people to try it but nobody has ever said they didn’t like it and many become converts.

A charter boat captain in Curaçao made excellent chicken skewers with a peanut butter based glaze. It was a Dutch/Indonesian mash up and very tasty.
we had some cookbook that was a snoopy as in peanuts snoopy and they had a sandwich with that recipe in it :) was late 1960s
yeah peanut butter bacon sandwiches are freaking awesome my boy likes em but took a LOT to get him to try them

FarmerTan

I make my sauce for Thai Chicken Linguine with peanut butter.
I could try this one!
I use it in many Thai recipes.

I've also used peanut butter in place of tahini when making hummus. It's quite good.
This is another I'd do!

Thank you @TexLaw for the intriguing ideas!

My Dad ONCE tried to make peanut brittle when Mom was out to Bingo or something.

He was having a hard time getting it to set up, and it may have been his idea (probably, Dad was adventurous!) or my little brother, but he ended up putting a packet of Cherry KoolAid in it, and it did get hard.

Dad was usually pretty kool about food, but he MADE us try it! I didn't hate it, but you'd have thought my little brother was gonna die!

the one thing I used to do when I ate rice a lot was put peanuts in it all the time :) had to have shoyu of course :) or with spam :)
used to love peanut thai sauces on so many things not just for chicken !

my boy loved peanut butter and nutella on a spoon :) yeah not good but when you are a kid once in a while why not :)

Eat dif now but yeah many do make peanut butter a sweet thing when I think of it

FarmerTan

we had some cookbook that was a snoopy as in peanuts snoopy and they had a sandwich with that recipe in it :) was late 1960s
yeah peanut butter bacon sandwiches are freaking awesome my boy likes em but took a LOT to get him to try them
Okay. I'm going to HAVE to try it now. I had a patient that would always order a grilled cheese sandwich with thin sliced dill pickles grilled in them. Sounded gross. Till I tried it!

FarmerTan

Now for something almost completely different: has anyone tried roasted Almond Butter for recipes?

We bought some on sale and it is kinda dry tasting compared to PB. Deliciously different, but I'd like to use it up!

Crazy enough I do not like peanut butter on bread not with jelly either.

Now as satay sauce with some meat skewers I am happy to devour it.

Top Bottom