What's new

Peanut Butter -- Savory Applications

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have never considered PB with anything but J or on fruit like apples or bananas. I have a large tablespoon of PB each night when I start making my vegetable smoothie.

I'm definitely going to give some of these ideas a try.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
You can take the peanut butter and blend it with a small amount of hot liquid from the recipe. l use an immersion blender. Then, add the mix back in to the pot.
Cool. Thanks! Gonna have to tell the chef about this

I generally drop a tablespoon of peanut butter in stir fries. I do like peanut soup. I have never EVER enjoyed boiled peanuts. It's a a texture thing.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
You can take the peanut butter and blend it with a small amount of hot liquid from the recipe. l use an immersion blender. Then, add the mix back in to the pot.

That's a very interesting idea. I always like using peanut oil for my gumbo roux because of the flavor (and I'm hardly alone in that). I never thought about a little peanut butter. I don't know if I ever would have thought about that!

I used to buy al Fresco brand chicken breakfast sausages. I'd cook one up, slice it in half, and put it on top of a bagel with peanut butter.

Peanut butter with bacon on pancakes is pretty good...
I used to teach scuba on Utila had a lot of Euro backpackers all the time
they used to put Bananas and Honey on pancakes all the time never a fan of that but was so common :) yours kinda reminded me of that :)

the bacon thing we used to when camping pour a strip of batter lay down cooked bacon on it then cover with more batter and flip/cook like normal so you have bacon filled long pancakes :)

When I was in college, I used to run six+ miles (that'd be 10+ km) every other day. Before those runs, I would eat a peanut butter, honey, banana, and raisin sandwich. It was delicious! I figured the raisins and honey would give me some short term energy while the bread would provide me with longer term fuel. The bananas would provide potassium to help reduce cramping and the peanut butter provided both taste and additional long term energy.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
What are some of the savory peanut butter applications that you see or enjoy?

300g of bacon ends, ground through a 6mm plate, then browned. Open a jar of natural creamy PB (Adams..), decant into a large bowl, stir in the hot bacon. Put back in the jar. There will be excess! Make toast. Put the excess on the toast, with pickles. That's lunch. Keep the jar in the fridge. Lovely bacony peanut goodness whenever a little pick-me-up is needed.

O.H.

a coworker taught me that a table spoon or two of peanut butter mixed into a canned red enchilada sauce enhances the flavor.

So just spoon in a tablespoon right in the pot?
Ground cashews work very well too, make sure they are not seasoned. I just whiz it in a chopper.
You can put it in any curry initially when you are sautéing the curry paste to release the flavours.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The peanut combinations I associate with Indonesian cooking work well with peanut butter, adding things like fresh tomatoes and very hot peppers.

Top Bottom